Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With guidance from Krippp, I have begun a refinishing project on my M44. My goal is to refinish it back to it's wartime glory.

Krippp instructed me to buy some Citristrip and 000 steel wool. I just finished soaking the stock down in the Citristrip and I'm gonna let it sit for a while before I start going at it with the steel wool and washing it off. That Citristrip is serious stuff though, just a minute or two after I sprayed it on, some of the newspaper I set it on blew up a little and stuck to the side, when I pulled it off there was finish everywhere and I could already see some bare wood! I can't wait to see how it goes! I'll go out there and take some pictures now and then after it's been done. :)

Here's what it looked like before:

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Citristrip is amazing. I only sprayed it on one side to begin with, though a lot of the finish on the other side came off as well. I think I'll spray the same side again to finish it off and also spray the other side at that time.

Here's the M44 with the Citristrip on it.

Here it is after I ran some 000 steel wool over it and rinsed the Citristrip off.

Overall, I'm very impressed with how it's coming along. I found several spots in the stock that had repairs done that were hidden under the finish. I think these repairs give it character though, I actually like seeing them there :)

EDIT: Accidentally posted the same picture twice.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
I told you there would be alot of interesting things under that finish, I never dreamed you'd have that many stock repairs though. that stock has certainly seen some sort of action. looks like you are almost ready for step 2. I will let you know that you definitely have a wartime M44 hardwood stock though, the lack of a sling slot escutcheon on the butt is a dead giveaway

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! I was almost certain this guy (or at least part of him lol) had seen some war action! This is a lot of fun, I'm already looking forward to refinishing my 91/30 as well :D

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moar progress: got both sides refinished.

If you look at the 2nd picture from the bottom, you'll see an odd swipe of some color, almost like a brush mark. It doesn't seem to be finish though, the Citristrip doesn't do a thing to it. It's very hard whatever it is. There are a few other tiny little droplets of whatever it is on other areas of the stock. Krippp do you have any idea what it is?

I guess I am ready for step 2 now :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
That buttstock has some nice grain on it!

What are you going to finish it with?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
here is the one I had to refinish after the cleaning mishap.

This was stripped with denatured alcohol and 00 steel wool. The DA dissolves the shellac without graying the wood, so you don't need to sand to get fresh wood (I like to avoid sand paper if possible). Then I applied a couple of coats of amber shellac, and hit it with 0000 wool to knock down the bumps.
I should have the bent bolt and scope mount for it later this week/early next. Now it just finding a repo scope for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Very nice!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You know me Zero, I prefer the hardwood , oiled look, but damned if yours didn't turn out beautiful, nice job
So do I, but I had a bunch of shellac and only a little 1/3 mix... I have to finish my Garand stock, and I picked up a new Israeli stock and hand guard for the mauser. Both of those need to be oil, and I didn't want to run out.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
This thread got me going on my M44 (I'd been thinking about doing it since I redid my 91/30)
I will post pics as soon as I figure out how(tried twice)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Thanks,and no I don't race a Volvo.I did years ago, and until the laws of physics took over.
The handle pertains to a project that has been put on hold while we save for a house.The car is a 65 Chrysler Newport I want to run at Maxton.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well after about a month of inactivity due to work, school, and life in general I've started up on this again. I got me some boiled linseed oil and went at it. I rubbed oil on this stock on and off for about an hour and a half before I had to quit because it's looking really rainy out and I just heard some thunder. It's really dark in our garage so I'm not going to waste anybody's time taking pictures that you can't tell anything by haha. I'm gonna leave the stock out there for the rest of the day and maybe overnight to dry before taking it inside. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it tomorrow :) It already has a really nice color to it! I'm definitely looking forward to the finished product :D

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow I'm a failure lol I completely forgot to post these. This stock isn't the prettiest I've ever seen, you can definitely tell it's been used by all the dark splotches. It's pretty cool that it's dark in the spots where someone's hand and cheek may have been though...and the wood is all smooth around where your hand would be. It definitely feels like it has got some use. I really like how it looks so far though, it's definitely better than whatever that finish was that came on it! I'm gonna order some of that Tom's 1/3 next week to put over the BLO that I finished it with.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update! My M44 is now completed! The stock is pretty dark, but it looks a crapton better than it did with that nasty finish it had when I bought it! The upper handguard doesn't match, I'm sure it's from a different gun. I'm very pleased though :) 2 coats of BLO and 1 coat of Tom's 1/3 mix and she's ready to go!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts