Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a mosin in about 10 different pieces. Here are some questions..
1) the barrel has rust and pitting, not bad but its there, Will it comprimise the barrel's soundess( will it explode in my hand, when ready to fire?)

2) the entire buttplate and inner workings are gone, trigger gaurd is still there though. I need the buttplate, follower and all that for the internal parts of the trigger gaurd and all that jive.

3) I need a new stock, mine has a bayonet attached, 40" i believe, I want orginal, where do i get one?

4) firing pin and the bolt seem to be in good order, extracter seesm weak, should i replace part? ( i think they called it an arrow head...)

4) what are the chances once revived of this rifle blowing up in my face????? What can i check to prevent this.
I know the rifles are not expensive and most are gonna say scrap it, but this is for fun and the most expensive thing will be a stock as far as i can tell.... so any advice will be great, please no bashes or all that jive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:shifty: not quit what i had in mindm but thanks

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
You could restore it if you wanted to, but the stocks are fairly expensive...

TBH, probably the best thing to do would be go to a gun show or something like that and snag one of those wall hanger Mosins. There are plenty around here that have all the parts included but have terrible barrels or something like that and sell for $40-70. You could get one of those and throw your decent parts in it. Personally though, I'd probably buy another Mosin myself.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
re: rust... is it inside or outside? also, check out gunboards.com, there's a HUGE mosin community over there. If the bayo is permanently attached (with a screw) it is likely an M44 which is a nice rifle. You can get some parts here:

http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/hubertriggermosin/index.asp

And all the rest here:

http://www.tngunparts.com/m44.htm

Arrowhead sounds more like the arsenal mark. I would hold off and see if the extractor works before replacing it.

To keep it from blowing up in your face.... I would get it all put back together and see what you've got. If you have safety concerns, have a good Gunsmith look it over. Or you could put it in a gun vice and tie a string to the trigger and set it off mythbusters style from behind cover! I would bet, if the barrel's in good shape on the inside, it will likely shoot just fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think it is A 44, the rifle was free, i found the parts, stock and all for around 79 dollars shipping and all, the inside of the barrel is good, and the extractor is working fine in the original stock, the original stock is only broken in the front where the hand gaurd should be. it could be a fun project since the mosins i have found are around 170 in shitty conditon and i could fix this one for around 80....

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Yeah, you won't get an m44 in any kind of decent shape for $80. I really like mine. They are nice little carbines and 7.62x54r is a really good round. between .308 and 30-06 in power. Surplus ammo is all over (just remember to use corrosive cleaning instructions). If you decide to put a scope on it, (it's your gun, but...) I wouldn't drill and tap it. You can get a great mount from S&K and set it up as a scout rifle (Long eye relief scope). It's a nice set-up and you won't do any permanent damage to a historic rifle.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Yeah, you won't get an m44 in any kind of decent shape for $80. I really like mine. They are nice little carbines and 7.62x54r is a really good round. between .308 and 30-06 in power. Surplus ammo is all over (just remember to use corrosive cleaning instructions). If you decide to put a scope on it, (it's your gun, but...) I wouldn't drill and tap it. You can get a great mount from S&K and set it up as a scout rifle (Long eye relief scope). It's a nice set-up and you won't do any permanent damage to a historic rifle.
I got a pretty nice M44 for $80 at my LGS, I can shoot 6-8in groups at 100 yards with it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
About a year ago I got an Email from AIM they had "gunsmith" specials, messed up Mosins.. I bought an M44 for $35, missing bayonet, and huge crack. I stuck it in an ATI stock, and bam its my lightest kicking mosin ( therefore it gets shot the most)

Doesnt century have parts guns, or SOG still?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've been trying to find a spare stock at a reasonable price for some time, what I ahve found is that they are almost as much as a complete rifle. to be honest you may end up spending more on replacement parts, then you would on another rifle. I have seen Mosins for as little as $80 and the best deal I have found on an original stock is $40 plus S&H. That's half the cost for just one peice you need

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that i found a solution, guess its who you know.... A member has offereed help... and i appriciate all the information on the cost of parts, but once restoring a car you could buy a new one for the same price, Its a project guys, just something to restore and tinker with, i found a whole rifle for 59, but have failed to find the shorter m44 stock that i have...... the rifle actually works and is in decent shape. so i think im good, i know that there are better rifles to restore, but the rifle was free and there easy to restore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.