Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I thoroughly enjoy guns (my own and others'), but admit I am a novice, so forgive the lack of terminology to come. I'm looking for some more informed, experienced eyes and fingers to help me out.
A few days ago, I received a ATI Monte Carlo stock for my Mosin, to replace the old ratty wooden one. To my knowledge the gun had never been cleaned properly (I haven't had it all that long and previously lacked motivation), and figured it was time. YouTubed many 'how-to' videos on the mechanics of the gun, then removed, disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, oiled, and reassembled the bolt, and cleaned the rest of the gun, then sanded the Monte Carlo stock to fit, and sealed the deal. Took it out to a friend's "range" yesterday to test-fire and as Murphy's law would have it, there was a problem :D
Every time it's discharged, the gun seems to 'un-cock' itself. After firing once, the bolt doesn't want to open. You must grab hold of the knob-like piece at the rear of the bolt (that you use to turn the safety) and pull it back and adjust (turn...re-position??) it slightly before you can easily pull back the bolt and chamber another round. Happens every time you fire it, though I only put maybe 10 rounds through it. Maybe I'm silly, but I feel like I shouldn't have to force it open, as it wasn't hard to open on the original stock, so I feel like my fear of using a lot of force to pull it back isn't the issue here. Don't know whether I need to re-do the bolt and "fajangle" (as a YouTuber called it) it back together a different way, change the firing pin 'position' (I don't have a tool, I only went by the notch at the rear of the bolt), sand a different piece on the stock (maybe something's rubbing the wrong way up under there?) or be a sissy and buy a new effin' bolt.
Any and all help will be much appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
35,671 Posts
We are going to need some pics.
I really, really hope the gun un-cocks itself when firing. I mean...that's how they fire.;)

It only re-cocks itself when you lift the bolt handle, the bolt cams the cocking piece back, and the trigger/sear catches under the bolt to hold it cocked when you turn the bolt back down. Working the trigger lets the cocking piece and firing pin snap forward.

Did the gun work properly before you took it apart?

Are you sure you got the bolt back together right?

Is the action too deep in the new stock? Did you use the washer to install it?

Is the cocking piece on right? That's the knob like thing you pull to put it on safe. It shouldn't turn on its own, after shooting or while cocked.

·
Registered
273 Posts
??? sounds like the gun is working properly, Its not a semi auto its a bolt action, you turn the knob back and down load a round and push it forward and close it then fire, next time you go to the range, ask someone to test your gun for you to see if it working properly.

other than that we will probably need pics or a video of the issue

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
He is describing that his bolt STICKS every time he shoots and it won't open the action unless he REcocks it. Sounds to me he has a sticky night issue.

·
the Great
1,014 Posts
GrOuNd_ZeRo said:
Sounds to me he has a sticky night issue.
Most of us got over that in our early teens...

The way I read it, he has to turn the safety/cocker before moving the bolt? If its sticky bolt, then pulling it back helps, but turning it would not be required.

That's what I read into the post anyway.

·
the Great
1,014 Posts
Re-reading the post, it does sound like sticky bolt, and you're just fiddling with it til it opens. (We've all done it!)

Could be some cosmoline still in it.

What ammo are you using?

·
Premium Member
8,081 Posts
Did you use solvent and a brass brush in a drill to clean the chamber?

Other than that it sounds like you have something wrong in the bolt assembly. Safety knob turns very hard on all the Mosins I have tried, if it turns easy you goofed.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
And with the bolttwisted to where the firing pin is exposed, it should measure (i use a caliper with depth measurer) between .75-.95. They say the flat head should align with the notches on the "safety" nob but mine did not and worked fine.
Check out the bolt while twisting to let the pin be exposed, is the slant groove the "safety nob" follow in and out. Is it burred real bad?
When the bolt is pushed forward the extractor goes into a groove on the receiver end of the barrell, then moves in that groove when the handle is locked down. That groove on my 91/30 was real nasty when i got it. After cleaning that out its much smoother, maybe check that area out?
Cosmo still inside the bolt? Maybe you have the pin further in than it was before and thats why now its sticking .
Hard to say not having it in front of us.

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
Lawl sticky night...damn smartphones. I did mean sticky bolt lol. My guess is its still gunked up with cosmo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was working properly when I last shot it (3 or so weeks ago).
Safety is still hard to turn. And it definitely lets me turn it.. so, I'm thinking I may have assembled the bolt incorrectly. My fingers be crossed, SO I'll check on that and update this.

Dammit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, yes I did use the washer. Should I try it without? I really did minimal looking, but I didn't find a great description of what the washer was for.

·
Premium Member
35,671 Posts
Also, yes I did use the washer. Should I try it without? I really did minimal looking, but I didn't find a great description of what the washer was for.
The washer helps space the stock off the action, so everything gets supported correctly when you tighten it all down.

I'd bet there is something wrong in the bolt.;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I disassembled it again, wiped it down, and followed a very detailed video that prevented me from having to "fajangle" it. It all seems to work properly, HOWEVER, I won't know for a few days, as I had to order a firing pin tool, as I'm not totally willing to risk shi**ing my pants, or injury.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
After shooting if the bolt is getting hard to open up, sounds like Cosmo is still in in the barrel/throat area. You should be able to see this with a flashlight. I have one of mine that gets like this after a few rounds I have to really smack the bolt to get it open. The first few rounds are not like this. I have cleaned the crap out of it. Finally bought some Cosmo remover to get that last bit out but haven't used it yet.

As for the safety, all mine I have to put some pressure into pulling it back and making that turn. How hard is it really? I would say 20 lb pull to get it back and turn it would sound right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got to try it after reassembling the bolt, and receiving my tool. Worked like a charm, was my dumb ass that put the bolt back together the wrong way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Having had my three MN's, from an 1893 to a 1943 and having had them apart numerous times including the bolt, I was surprised you could put the bolt in when it was assembled incorrectly. In fact it was hard for me to imagine even assembling the bolt by itself incorrectly. But sneaky cosmo is definitely a bad thing for all parts of the rifle. Another potential is using lacquered cases as supposedly they can gum up the chamber. You probably cannot do this now that it is in a plastic stock but mine shoot better when the bayonet is attached. Russian science i guess, lol.

If you haven't, accuracy report would be interesting.

paul

1 - 20 of 21 Posts