Mosin Nagant, SKS or AK?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Dagwood, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Looking for a build. Like the SKS, but wanted to throw it out there and see what you guys suggest. Trying to keep the total cost down. I am a hi point owner afterall.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

everyone already knows what im going to suggest. an AK. very similiar to an SKS in performance, but, in what i feel is a much more useful package. the aftermarket is extremely strong for AK pattern rifles, you can go from tattered ''battlefield pickup'' look, to a polished ''pretty'' gun, to a full on tactical with available parts. They are perhaps the most reliable and durable platform every built, being able to fire after being subjected to the harshest of environments, things that would leave an AR15 dead in its tracks (before anyone argues it wrong, prove it. because noone that ive ever seen has ever been willing to even attempt to do to thier AR the torturous thinkgs that have been proven time and time again that an AK can handle).......they are accurate up to about 300 yards, and can be made extremely accurate if you are willing to take some time and ''tune'' the rifle.

ive also owned Mosins. another excellent gun, but, if you dont have a very large range, they are pointless. a Mosin at 200 yards, isnt even fun. considering its got an approximate 1200yard range, you just arent using it for what it can possible do.

an SKS is also a very nice, and highly reliable weapon. you really cant go wrong with any of the three options you listed, but in terms of ''best bang for the buck", i would go AK anyday. you can pick up a WASR-10 for about $550-$650 and be very happy for a very long time to come.

3. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Scads of reasonable $$ parts available for the SKS. They now have 20 and 30 rd mags for the SKS.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Huh...:cool:

Here is $500 worth of pretty nice non-AK bang for the buck.

[​IMG]

5. Dagwood

Our range here only goes out to 500 yds. I generally go out to the blm land anyway. I sure do like the look of the SKS with the SG works bullpup kit. On the other hand by the time I invested in that I could have a nice AK. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.....

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

never said the SKS wasnt a good platform, personally that AR stock on it looks like poop to me, as does an AR stock on anything besides an AR, but thats my opinion. but i still think the AK platform is better than the SKS overall. in fact, if you know anyone looking for some SKS mags, ive got i believe 3 20 rounders and i think 2 10 rounders to get rid of. (i'll have to double check just how many, they're sitting in a box of unused parts at the moment).

7. Back2School

Back2School Member

As a Hi Point guy, why are you looking at those expensive guns? The Mosin is the only down in HP $$$ range.

I like my Mosin, and buying a crate of ammo for it means I will have enough ammo to last a long time with it. Too bad the crate of ammo cost 2xs as much as the rifle.

Knowing I could get an SKS for about $300, I would probably lean that way if I didn't want a bolt action.

Leave the Aks and the ARs for the Glock type fanbois :)

8. bws

bws Member

depends on your application. He's right about the range issue, but it's definitely a buyers market when it comes to Mosin's. I went Saiga for my AK project, because I wanted to do the trigger conversion.

Cost wise, depending on how you go, you'll probably sink the same amount of money decking out a Mosin as you will just for the base AK, but damn 30 round through a semi automatic are just a bit more fun than 10 rounds through a wicked bolt action.

9. bws

bws Member

That's a pretty nice looking SKS you have there, Ajole. Now I want one again...

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I agree. Which is why I did my "build" like this.

[​IMG]

Why is that?

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I paid $325 back in the day when normal SKS were $200+.

Eventually, I got the OEM stock, too.

[​IMG]

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

just personal opinion. ive shot several SKS rifles, and countless AK's. they both have plenty of punch, good accuracy and are both durable and reliable weapons. but, i believe the AK platform to be MORE durable, and MORE resiliant of the two. i still say that i believe the AK is probably the most durable and reliable platform ever built. i also prefer the feel of an AK over an SKS, as well as the customization ability of the platform. i just feel its more versatile in every aspect.

that being said, i would still gladly own an SKS or three, just want a thumbhole stock. edit....just like the one you just posted while i was typing.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's certainly possible, as the SKS is slightly more complicated and/or finely machined with tighter tolerances.

But I do really prefer to shoot the SKS over my AK or Saiga. Personal preference of course, no real reason.

14. Dagwood

There is an sks at my lgs in very good original condition ( I actually think it is fairly new ) for 379.00. I think its a norinco. The hi cap mag was a little tricky to insert, maybe I wasn't doing something right. Over all I really liked it tho.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's OK, the first thing you do is get an OEM mag, toss that POS hi cap mag away, and start learning about the wonderful beauty of the stripper clip.:D

16. talon

talon the banned wagon

they call them stripper clips because of the way they strip the flesh off your fingers until you figure out just how to use them properly!!!

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Real operators wear gloves.:cool:

:p
    But really...never had any issues. But then, I have about 9 different guns that use stripper clips.

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

i can admit, ive gashed myself open pretty good the first few times i attempted to use stripper clips. yeah, gloves, lol, i should have thought about that. oops! (not sarcasm, i seriously never thought to wear gloves.....blonde moments). now i can do it fine, but now i dont very often. now ive got kids that i force to reload magazines, to ''teach them'' ;)

19. You can get a WASR for $500... Hell J&G just ended a sale for a WASR with 7 mags for $499, that's freakin killer!

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

20. I have all three and the AK is on the front row of guns to grab when SHTF. She is reliable and durable. One of my SKS is finicky about after market mags. The other I kept original.

An AK will never disappoint.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014