Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

I have the money for one or the other, whitch one?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No the Remington 870 is not an option, I dont like them!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm thinking the mossberg. I had a 91/30 and just didn't shoot it much. Although the Mossberg I've been shooting a lot of. Either way is a winning choice though. It just comes down to what you want more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would get the Mossberg. I have a really nice 91/30 and it sits in my safe. If I feel the need to shoot one I always grab my M44. You can still generally get them cheaper than a 91/30 and they are a lot of fun to shoot. The shorter barrel gives you a bit less recoil and the muzzle blast raises some eyebrows at the range. The 91/30 is looooong and generally the bores aren't as good as the M44s.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason for a Mossburg 500 is 1.Been using one for about 10 years 2. Guarenteed reliable 3. $200

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
You'd get more mileage out of a Mossberg 500. Shotguns are much more versatile and can be use for more hunting applications along with the Home Defense application that most guys buy them for.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I say get the Mosin, and one in great shape, while you can... who knows how long before the supply of these guns dries up like the supplies of many other great surplus rifles have. I mean, Krippp has single-handedly purchased probably 25% of all Mosins on the market! :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I say get the Mosin, and one in great shape, while you can... who knows how long before the supply of these guns dries up like the supplies of many other great surplus rifles have. I mean, Krippp has single-handedly purchased probably 25% of all Mosins on the market! :devilsidesmile:
lol, get two mosins....one to mod, and one to keep original. if you have a c&r lic you can get 2MN's and still have enough money to mod one out for less than a mossberg......depending on what your states background check fee's/taxes are

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well a new 500 is about $200 around here and used is bout $150 where I have looked. However Im sellin a crap load of .50BMG and 7.62X51 brass very soon I hope at a gun show here in lancaster this weekend. May even find a shotgun at the show. Hopefully I can pick up one of each after the truck is fixed and the gun show is over.

·
Premium Member
36,642 Posts
What is it for? Hunting? SD? Plinkin'? :D
Get the Mosin, it isn't being made anymore, and the Mossy/Maverick is going to be there for a while.
Don't know where you folks all are at, but M44's don't even exist in my neck of the woods, and they were 25% more than a 91/30 when they were here. Mossy 500 is $250 starting used, and a Maverick 88 is $250 new...you can't hunt with a shotgun at all...and there aren't a lot of wingshooters around here either...so other than SD, the shotty is pointless. I do have one though. Double-ought buck, beside the bed... :angel:

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Get the Mosin, it isn't being made anymore, and the Mossy/Maverick is going to be there for a while.
Don't know where you folks all are at, but M44's don't even exist in my neck of the woods, and they were 25% more than a 91/30 when they were here. Mossy 500 is $250 starting used, and a Maverick 88 is $250 new...you can't hunt with a shotgun at all...and there aren't a lot of wingshooters around here either...so other than SD, the shotty is pointless. I do have one though. Double-ought buck, beside the bed... :angel:
You sure about that?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
i think you are pretty ill informed if this is really what you think... cant hunt with a shotgun?? you can kill ANYTHING with a shotgun.

·
Premium Member
36,642 Posts
Didn't say I couldn't kill anything. Said I couldn't hunt with one, meaning there are very few shotgun seasons in my state for game hunting. Just a couple of limited Primitive hunts, rabbits and birds. So yeah, one could hunt with a shotty, there are 4 or 5 little areas with a week of hunting. But most in my state can't/don't. I can do any of about 20 seasons over 4 months over a huge chunk of the state with a rifle or muzzle loader though, so I say go that way, in my AO. Your area is probably different. Like, have you ever hunted Pronghorn? We do. And you don't hunt them with a shotty, either. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.