Mosin Whisper rounds

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by griff30, Dec 17, 2007.

1. griff30

griff30 Member

Any of you Mosin owner reload? I know they are cheap and I want one now, I was wondering if anyone reloaded a very heavy bullet into subsonic "whisper"Mosin?
    I'm not talking about silencers (though thats legal with $200)
    Im talking about metal siloette shooting and having a Thumper round. Say 350+ grains at subsonic velocity.

2. Ari

Ari Guest

I have never have seen any load data for anything that heavy. I can find load data for a 200gr bullet.

3. griff30

griff30 Member

From what I have found on the net 200 grains is available but yeah. why not a $70 300 Whisper ala Mosin.
    The real 300 Whisper is 220 gr 1,040 ft/s 529 ft·lb.
    I am quite sure by the looks of it the 7.62X54 can go much heavier. I think there would be much attention to this cartridge if someone made a "thumper" out of it. It would be as long or longer than the case, more like a Russian Javalin.

4. do some googling. Theres a couple of good sites on general rifle subsonic loading, I just don't have them on hand. The hardest part is getting a hot enough primer that it can get a full powder burn quickly. Ohh and you have to use a really fast powder. The guy I saw working on it was using fast pistol powders, think red dot.

Actually in some of my searching on the topic I think I found some good info on origional military subsonic rounds for the mosin. IRCC they were colored differently to distinguish.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

Sorry, not very good with different ammunitions, but whats a whisper round? And why would you want it to be subsonic? What about a thumper? Sorry for the ignorance.

6. 300 grain out of a 308/311 bullet? That things going to be long as heck.

Or are you thinking of rebarreling it with a bigger bullet bore?

7. Not exactly whisper loads but you can load some really nice range shooting and hunting loads using Hodgdon H4895 powder and their Youth Load formula. These loads really tame the recoil of the M44 yet provide enough velocity and energy for a 100-150yrd whitetail deer round.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.php

8. griff30

griff30 Member

Ok the "whisper" family of ammunition is actually a very heavy subsonic round made by SSK industries
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Whisper it's designed for silhouette targets and suppressed shooting by lowering the speed to subsonic. They make up for the lack of speed with lots of wieght.

The name Whisper is a trademarked name by SSK.

Marine Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper_(colonel) visualized a round he called a "thumper" as one that was a big heavy bullet at moderate to slower speed. The ".450 Thumper" from Bushmaster is based on this idea.

9. griff30

griff30 Member

I thought actually of just a longer bullet, a "Russian Javalin" . Did you know the subsonic 300 whisper bullet is longer than the case?
    Rebarreling for a bigger bore? thats an idea! Maybe if someone had done it before, and realatively inexpensively. I think a you can still find .50 barrels used from milsurp spots, anything like that would be a hoot. Nice idea.