Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a few sites that have a Muzzle Break for the M44, but nothing for the 91/30... I'm just kinda wondering if the Break made for the M44 could work for the 91/30? From my understanding the only real difference between the two rifles is Barrel length basicly. Any thoughts on the matter? Hears the links I have to the items in question...

http://combatoptical.com/catalog/MOSIN-NAGAT-M44-MUZZLE-BRAKE-145.html
http://www.combathunting.com/MOSIN_NAGANT-Mosin_Nagant_Rifle_Muzzle_Brake_4_23_Long.html

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sucks that there's no muzzle break for a 91/30. You would think with them being as popular as they are, there would be more aftermarket mods for them.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
sucks that there's no muzzle break for a 91/30. You would think with them being as popular as they are, there would be more aftermarket mods for them.
Whats the point of a muzzle brake on a bolt action anyway? Isn't the biggest benefit to reduce muzzle climb on a semi or auto? You gotta work the bolt and reacquire anyway right? Besides "is rifle with big boom, make turn of heads at range, shoulder is for recoil not yankee add on!"

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
We don't need no stinkin brake :D Just get a butt pad for it and you will be all set! They have them at Milserpstuff.com

·
Premium Member
36,075 Posts
Never felt the need for a break or a pad, and I really dislike recoil. They kick a lot less than my 30-06, and a little more than my .300 Savage.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
i added this ar style screw on type to my 1903 Swedish M96 Mauser only because it's barrel was threaded for using the wood bullet adapter. i use this for normal shooting to protect the threads.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whats the point of a muzzle brake on a bolt action anyway?
I have added muzzle brakes to both my M44 Mosins, and glad I did. The reduction in recoil was significant, it's now more like a 150 grain 30-30 recoil. I can shoot all day with no problems and keep tighter groupings at great distances (no flinching).

I use an ATI scope mount drilled & tapped into the receiver. One of my concerns was what the Mosin's normal kick might do to a scope over time. With the recoil significantly reduced by the brake(s) it is no longer a concern.

Thirdly, Mosins can produce one huge fireball, up to 3 feet in diameter. That's not acceptable, unless you want everyone within a mile or more of your position to know where exactly where you're at.

I'll keep my brakes on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.