Mossberg 464 SPX

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by greg_r, Oct 12, 2014.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have always thought Mossbergs tactical 30wcf was an abomination. I held one yesterday and changed my mind. I'm thinking now that this just might be THE perfect deer/hog rifle. I'm talking open hardwoods, pine thickets and swamps.

Do any of you have an opinion?

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    In .270, 7mm-08, or .308, it would be perfect.;)

3. greg_r

Have a 280 and a 308. Bolt and single shot. Too slow. Hog hunting, at least where I do it is close and often offers multiple targets.

Edit: I misread your post. Now you have me thinking tactical BLR!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  4. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I'd grab one in a heartbeat if I had the $

5. greg_r

Think I will get it if it's still there after I get my current layaway out in about two weeks. It will put an end to my 300blk build, at least for now.

Reminds me of 2006 when I bought my Scion Xb. I thought they were the ugliest car I had ever seen, then I drove one. Still think it's ugly, but it has been the best commuter I have ever owned. This Mossberg gives me the same feeling.

6. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I LOVE the Scion Xb. Well, looks wise. Haven't driven one.

7. I think it is horridly ugly. and there will be some serious kick with a 30-30 in a super light plastic stock.

Did i mention its hideous?

What makes it any better than say a marline 336? besides the synthetic stock

8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I think it looks kind of cool personally. Not sure how many bells and whistles I would hang on a lever action .30-.30 though. It would definitely get the attention of some of the guys I shoot with who love lever action firearms.

9. RobbK

RobbK Member

I always liked the look of the SPX 464, it is different than any other lever action. 30-30 is not overly uncomfortable to shoot IMHO but then i shoot 12 gauge all the time.. If I could find one I would buy it .

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Say what? It's a 30-30, you can't get much less powder behind a .30 cal bullet.

Thankfully, I bet the weird plastic stock is far better at mitigating the mild kick, than is the venerable model 94.;)

My model 99 in 30-30 is also very easy on the shoulder.:p

11. greg_r

The stock is actually what I liked. Yeah, it's odd on a lever gun, but it's very comfortable. Adjustable obviously for LOP, but also the comb height is adjustable. I really do not think recoil will be objectionable. I've got a single shot 30-30 that is lighter than this one and recoil is not bad on it either.

12. If you are in to it. Go for it. I would check some reviews/ reliability videos.

I just cant get over that stock.

13. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Al quit mentioning Model 99's. I dearly love those rifles and don't own one, yet.

14. Is the 99 the lever action that was striker fired instead of hammer?

IT is surely an interesting design.

One of the ones i always hear people wish they still had

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You really need to find one...every now and then one shows up that isn't collector priced.

Here, this will tug at the heart strings.

My 1920's .300 Savage.

[​IMG]

My Dad's 1901 30-30.

[​IMG]

Striker fired, rotary mag so pointed bullets are OK, round counter on the side, so you can tell how many are still in the mag, and designed as a rifle from the beginning, not just a PCC like the '94.:p

First commercial rifle to make over 3000 fps, in the .250-3000, and one of the first to have a cocked indicator, since it was hammerless.

And beautiful.:)

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

That 30-30 is a work of art.........

17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Al I hate you right now. I will find one at the right price. How is the 30-30 compared to the 300?