Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure of the correct board. Please move if needed, thanks.

The quick... In Michigan I was sold a shotgun under 30 inches as a standard long gun, NOT as a pistol which I have come to believe it is classified.

The story... I am a michigan resident, no ccw. I was at a gun show in Michigan and saw a used shotgun, the mossberg 500. I didn't know much about shotguns but it looked nice and I wanted it. It has a pistol grip, 18 1/2 barrel, and is about 28 or 28 3/4 inches long (need to find my tape measure). It was sold from an actual gun dealer with a shop in Michigan who was part of the gun show, not just some guy with a table or walking around. I asked some questions, he gave me a price, we filled out the basic purchase form, he made the phone call, I paid, we were done. Standard long gun purchase, no talk of a pistol purchase permit or ccw or anything of that nature. I went to a range today and the guy went nuts about me not having the shotgun registered as a handgun and it being illegal and such. I've looked up the law and it seems to say.. **the barrel must be 18 inches (mine is 18 1/2) and also the gun must be at least 30 inches total (mine falls just short). As long as the barrel length is ok, a gun at least 26 inches (mine is longer) can be sold as a handgun.**

So my problem seems to be I have bought a "pistol" without a pistol permit or ccw, and the sellers sold the item as a "long gun" even though it is required to be sold as a pistol. I'm afraid if I simply try to register it at the cop shop it will be taken away with possible fines/charges. What do I do?

On a side note, my stepfather also just bought 2 of these. One from gander mountain had him buying it as a handgun. He brought it in to the cop shop and they were very confused. They took his papers and never checked the gun, then said he was all set. The second he had sent in to a hardware store with a ffl. There he did the simple purchase form and was done. No handgun/registration issue.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Buy a regular stock and put it on it and it is the long gun that they sold you. Just an idea.
They sold him a pistol grip Mossy, not a regulare mossy.
Was this by chance a "cruiser" model? pics?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Generally speaking, the onus of correct sales procedure should be the burden of the seller. Meaning: If they screwed up and sold it to you wrong and they are a legitimate dealer in Michigan, they could have their license pulled or get fined or whatever. You as the buyer shouldn't be held accountable for their screw up. As has been said, you could also pick up a full length stock for it and keep it around. That way if the question ever were to come up, you could say it was sold with the correct length stock and you switched it to the pistol grip as an option. Either that or hit eBay and pick up one of the AR-15/pistol grip combos for 50-60 bucks. That way you get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They sold him a pistol grip Mossy, not a regulare mossy.
Was this by chance a "cruiser" model? pics?
I added the side saddle, otherwise this is everything I got. Oh, plus a sock to walk out the door with it.

id say if the dealer sold it to you as a long gun , its good to go. they generally know what they are doing.

SW
I would agree except when I brought it to the range the guy flipped out over it. He was being a total jerk otherwise but that's what got me to look it all up.

Buy a regular stock and put it on it and it is the long gun that they sold you. Just an idea.
I read on another site that adding a regular stock isn't good enough. They said if the gun left mossberg HQ as a pistol, you can not just add length to make it a long gun. If it left HQ as a long gun, you can not cut it down to pistol length. Obviously it wouldn't attract attention if I added the stock, but if it were to be looked up at some point it would show it's supposed to be a pistol.

As has been said, you could also pick up a full length stock for it and keep it around. That way if the question ever were to come up, you could say it was sold with the correct length stock and you switched it to the pistol grip as an option. Either that or hit eBay and pick up one of the AR-15/pistol grip combos for 50-60 bucks. That way you get the best of both worlds.
Again, from what I read in some other forums you can not legally change the gun between long and pistol, it has to stay the way it came. That pistol grip combo does look pretty sweet and it would help avoid attention, but supposedly not make it legal.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
no shotgun has ever left mosberg titled as a pistol. i called and asked because i wanted to build a shorty. i called mossberg, winchester, remington and NEF/rossi and nobody has ever titled a shotgun as a pistol.

care to know why?

because if a smoothbore weapon regardless of type is classed as a handgun, it falls under the AOW provisions of the NFA. depending on type and configuration it may also be considered a DD. therefore whomever told you that it left mossberg titled as a handgun is full of shit.

you CAN change a handgun into a carbine configuration (ala mechtech kits) but it still is registered as a handgun. what it leaves the facotry registered as, is what it is FOREVER. you CANNOT change the classification once it leaves thge factory. that is why they added "stripped reciver" to the 4473 forms. they can be built as either one but are usually treated and titled as handgun because you can configure them either way.

SW

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Since nobody has said it yet, move to a better state. There's room for you in Ohio!

In seriousness though, Silicon Wolverine is correct on the federal level. It sounds like you're fighting a stupid state law. I would second the recommendation that you put a stock on that will add the required length. I know it's not a great solution, but hopefully you can find one that will work that you will like and won't break the bank. I would also go to or call the shop (I know you bought at a gun show but you should have their card or their info on your receipt) and make sure they are aware of the situation... let them know what the stock cost you and suggest that perhaps they should offset your costs to legalize the gun since you were polite enough to let them know about their mistake. It's worth a shot, anyway.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Might not the guy at the range just be as full of $hit as a Christmas turkey?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Am I missing something here?

Can you not shoot it at the range regardless of its classification?

And, why should the braniac at the range even care?

:dead:

·
Banned
401 Posts

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Well, from reading that opinion, it would seem as though your shotgun is not illegal. It has a OAL of more than 26" and a barrel of at least 18" so it is not a SBS and not prohibited. On the other hand, since it has an OAL of under 30", it appears to fall under Michigan's definition of a pistol and you need a handgun permit and it is subject to inspection. Pretty retarded if you ask me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, from reading that opinion, it would seem as though your shotgun is not illegal. It has a OAL of more than 26" and a barrel of at least 18" so it is not a SBS and not prohibited. On the other hand, since it has an OAL of under 30", it appears to fall under Michigan's definition of a pistol and you need a handgun permit and it is subject to inspection. Pretty retarded if you ask me.
Am I missing something here?

Can you not shoot it at the range regardless of its classification?

And, why should the braniac at the range even care?

:dead:
The issue isn't the gun being totally illegal, but the way it was sold to me. The issue is that it was sold to me as a long gun. I didn't use a pistol permit to buy it even though I've found out it is classified as a pistol. If I take it into the cop shop to try to register it to cover my ass am I going to get in trouble for not buying it as a pistol?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Why don't you just call the local police department and ask them? Instead of hypothesizing, get a solid answer.

Tell them you're thinking about buying a shotgun in this (fill in your shotgun specs) configuration and would like to know if it's legal to own. If they say no, ask them what you can do to make it legal to own.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why don't you just call the local police department and ask them? Instead of hypothesizing, get a solid answer.

Tell them you're thinking about buying a shotgun in this (fill in your shotgun specs) configuration and would like to know if it's legal to own. If they say no, ask them what you can do to make it legal to own.
I did just try calling, but like every time I've tried calling them no one answers the phones. Again, the problem isn't that the gun is totally illegal to have in michigan but that it has been sold to me as a long gun when it is classified as a pistol.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

I did just try calling, but like every time I've tried calling them no one answers the phones. Again, the problem isn't that the gun is totally illegal to have in michigan but that it has been sold to me as a long gun when it is classified as a pistol.
So then sell it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.