Mossberg Maverick 88 Security

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by TNTRAILERTRASH, Sep 13, 2014.

1. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Walmart has a $217 Mossberg 12 gauge that is 8 shot for home defense. Anyone seen these? Bought one? Shot one?

It was tempting to buy one. I am wondering what accessories you can add/ or swap from other models.

Looks like the HiPoint of HD shotguns. Walmart did sell a H&R Pardner (Norinco Chinese built) 12 gauge for a while. Not sure if they still do.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep, the Security 8, 20.5 inch barrel, IIRC. I put an ATI pistol grip on mine for better control and elbows down use, with the safety where it is, it works well.

Zero malfunctions through several hundred shells, shoots bird shot or buck where I point it.

Other than the trigger and fire control group, rumor is most everything for the 500 will fit...but I'm not sure about that.

[​IMG]

3. TNTRAILERTRASH

What did the PG stock run you? It might be the same to get one with it?

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

They still sell the Pardner Pump also. An 870 copy but with machined parts rather than mim and plastic.

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

mim?????????? Made in 'merica?

I think the Mossberg may have Mexican parts.

6. rickm

rickm Member

I have had a 88 with a 28 in barrel on it so i bought a 18 inch barrel for less than 100 and then got a pistol grip for 10 and had a heat shield give to me so built my own and keep all the original parts in case i ever want to use it as a hunting gun again so i a way i have 2 guns for around 260

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  8. johnnyBgood

johnnyBgood Member

I think I paid the same for my 500 on Amazon and it came with a sling and shell holder . If not mistaken I think it said 500 or 88

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Metal injection molding. You know how cast iron isn't the best for high stress? Neither is MIM stuff. But it IS metal, it's SUPPOSED to be as good as machined parts, and it saves money over forged or machined parts.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  10. Kiln

Kiln Member

Micro Injection Molding. It is a quick way to mass produce parts, downside is that small (even microscopic) bubbles form in the parts because of the way they're created and sometimes lead to failures. It does keep costs down however, which is the main reason it is used.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No. METAL injection molding. See above.

Yes. Exactly the problem, if the hardening part of the process isn't perfect.

12. greg_r

They basically take metal powder and press it into parts.

The model 88 is assembled in America from parts made in Mexico.

I like both the 88 and the Pardner Pump. Like the Pardner just a little better.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And then heat it up to melt out the fillers, and allow the metal to melt into a solid piece...hopefully.:p

There ya go, fixed it a bit.;)

14. greg_r

The model 88 receivers are made in Eagle Pass TX. Something about Mexican law will not allow them to export receivers. The synthetic stocks are manufactured in America. The barrels and metal parts including the internals are made in Mexico.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I read something that said they are the one and only factory that takes parts out of Mexico and assembles in the US, everything else goes the other way, parts sent to and assembled in Mexico.:)

As you said, it's the gun laws, Mexico can't export guns out, only parts.

16. I have had one for a few years now I like it had good luck with it no problems
    i lost it ice fishing it was a shame

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  17. Kiln

Kiln Member

I stand corrected. In any case I own lots of guns with MiM parts and so far I've yet to experience any issues that appear to be directly related to the process personally.

18. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Talked to my lgs guy today about shotguns....... Turns out most of em are made by the same handful of Turkish factories...

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep. Except for all the ones made in America, Japan, The Philippines, Italy, or China.:p

He doesn't know, or he wasn't thinking. "Most" is probably the wrong word. Many might be the better word.;)

20. Branth

Branth Member

We studied a bit of MiM in some of my college classes.

They're definitely not as strong as machined, there's no denying. However, are they strong ENOUGH? You wouldn't want a MiM part to bear a huge load, but for little finicky parts that don't take much force, it can save a lot of money. Kinda like how polymer frames aren't as strong as steel, but they're more than strong enough for the job, and a hell of a lot cheaper.