Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen both of these at wally world. from what ive seen the maverick has a black synthetic stock and the 500 has the wood stock. i cant discern any other differences except price. the 88's cheaper. i know the 500's are very reliable and can stand up to alot. are the 88s just 500s with a cheaper stock? do the various aftermarket parts interchange?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well if thats true then id rather have the USA made 500. i thought maybe they just put a synthetic stock on a 500 and stamped maverick on it

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I've had 2 Mavericks and never had any trouble out of either. Personally I'd buy another Maverick before I got a Mossy unless the Mossy was in the same or better condition and within $20 of the price of a Maverick.

I gave $110 for my Maverick as a field gun. Here's what she looks like now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
the safeties, slide rails, and forarms are differant. if you plan to ever add a front pistol grip buy the 500 and save time and money because the 88 forearm isnt replaceable unless you switch it to 500 slide rails and tube. this is what i found when trying to outfit my 88

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The Maverick 88 is a less costly to manufacture, simplified version of the pump action, 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Factory Maverick 88's feature a black, synthetic only stock and forearm, cylinder bore (although chokes are available), and cross-bolt safety. Accessories are mostly compatible with the Mossberg 500.

The Maverick line of shotguns are assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas using manufactured parts, mainly from Mexico; which contributes to their relatively lower price in comparison to the Mossberg 500 series of shotguns which is assembled and manufactured in the USA.

The trigger groups will not interchange between Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 guns, but the majority of other parts including barrels, stocks, and shell magazines will (the barrel and magazines must be the same length).

Maverick 88 shotguns feature a trigger guard mounted cross-bolt safety as opposed to a top tang safety, which is used on the Mossberg 500 series.

Early Model 88's were equipped with a single slide rail, but this was updated to a dual slide rail in 1990.

Maverick 88's are factory finished with steel bluing only, whereas Mossberg 500's have factory blued, stainless steel or parkerized (receiver/barrel/magazine) options.

There are two basic models of the 88, the 88 field and the 88 security. The 88 field comes with a longer 28" vent-rib barrel, whereas the security comes with an 18-1/2" (6 round capacity) or 20" (8 round capacity) non-vent-rib barrel. The 88's have a cartridge capacity of 6 or 8 shots and cannot have their magazines easily extended without machining.
-
I bought an 88, saved some money rather than get the 500... It's still assembled in the USA.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
do the various aftermarket parts interchange?
Most parts do IIRC. I know the 88's use Mossberg Accu-Chokes and barrels.
I bought a Mossberg 18.5" barrel for my 88 Field Model.

are the 88s just 500s with a cheaper stock?
The internet word is "Mavericks are Mexican made Mossbergs."
They are made in texas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the help guys. im not looking to buy one, just curious. im more of a remington fan myself, 870s and stuff...

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Ok I was looking at these two models today while at Academy in Spartanburg. I liked the maverick over the 500 (but I'm cheap) but then I noticed a gorgeous little H&R Home defense 12 gauge, had a short barrel and 5 rd capacity, ran 189 i believe. Anyone got experience with this particular model, I know the singles are good.

Oh yeah :hijack: :tongue2:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ok I was looking at these two models today while at Academy in Spartanburg. I liked the maverick over the 500 (but I'm cheap) but then I noticed a gorgeous little H&R Home defense 12 gauge, had a short barrel and 5 rd capacity, ran 189 i believe. Anyone got experience with this particular model, I know the singles are good.

Oh yeah :hijack: :tongue2:
Familiar with Norinco??
Im like 99% sure that the Pardner 12ga pump is a chinese import. Im not banging on them Iama Norinco fan but I am pretty sure thats where they come from.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Price is a HUGE factor! Especially in Phoenix where gun prices have gone sky high.

A Mossberg 500A Persuader will run you about $300 to $350 depending on where you buy it IF you can find it (They're getting popular, and who can blame them! It's a good gun from a good company.)

The Maverick 88 runs about $230. That's a price difference of anywhere from $70 to $120...or at most the price of a Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22!

The only reason I bought the 500A is because I found a used one in good shape for $200 OTD from my local dealer, which was a STEAL in these parts! Then again, he knew I was looking for a 12-gauge and he entrapped me with the "layaway" bait! I haven't had a chance to fire it, but it's built solid and I'm so impressed with other Mossberg guns I've fired that I'm considering picking up the 702 plinkster .22 before those rifles become impossible to find as well!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i have the mav 88 (20inch barrel). for the price and purpose (hd), it's a good choice. there is very little difference between the two.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts

Remington

Mossberg

Remington
I'm trying to read whats on the object in the back of the first picture. What does that say?

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
HUNZ HAULER it's a trailer
Now that I know thats what it says, it is completely obvious. I thought it was a pop up camper or something.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.