Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I bought a Mossberg Plinkster yesterday and the clerk sold me two one hundred round boxes of .22 LR of CCI mini mags. He didnt say anything about them being bad for the rifle.

Then today, I stopped at a Walmart on my way home from work and bought some .40 cal and was gonna buy another box of the CCI mini mags. The clerk at this store told me that they may not be safe for my rifle (granted I didnt tell him what type of rifle I owned) he said that I need to be sure that my rifle can use these type of rounds or there could be barrel damage due to the extra powder these rounds contain.

Any thoughts on this?
Was this guy talking out of his A**??
Any personal experience with these type of rounds??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Re: Mossberg Plinkster and CCI Mni Mag rounds????

I have never heard of anyone having safety issues with the mini-mags. I shoot them in my Remi 597, and have shot them out of a Rugar revolver with no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts

Only thing I can think is that maybe the clerk had the mini mags and maxi mags mixed up. I've used both in a mossberg 152 with no issues, and it was made in '62.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Only thing I can think is that maybe the clerk had the mini mags and maxi mags mixed up. I've used both in a mossberg 152 with no issues, and it was made in '62.
Thanks to both of you for the quick response.

What is a Maxi mag?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Maxi mags are one of their .22WMR rounds

Edit: they have a MV of 2200 fps :D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Yes, he was talking out of his A$$. CCI Minimags are just fine in any modern rimfire.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Maxi mags are one of their .22WMR rounds

Edit: they have a MV of 2200 fps :D
I knew there was a reason they made you the new Mod. I misspoke I was meaning the stinger rounds fps of 1640, not maxi's. Don't need someone losing the side of their face on my account :angel:

·
Registered
598 Posts
While I buy ammo from Wal-Mart as well, I have learned NEVER to ask them for any advice pertaining to firearms, hunting or knives. Also never ask the guy in the Tire and Lube Express for mechanical advice.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi All,

I bought a Mossberg Plinkster yesterday and the clerk sold me two one hundred round boxes of .22 LR of CCI mini mags. He didnt say anything about them being bad for the rifle.

Then today, I stopped at a Walmart on my way home from work and bought some .40 cal and was gonna buy another box of the CCI mini mags. The clerk at this store told me that they may not be safe for my rifle (granted I didnt tell him what type of rifle I owned) he said that I need to be sure that my rifle can use these type of rounds or there could be barrel damage due to the extra powder these rounds contain.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Probably wouldn't hurt it, but I would go by what Mossberg recommends. My 10/22 says only standard US made ammo-- I only ever bought Stingers and Mini Mags for my old J22s, so I just run bulk packs through mie-- and have had no issues.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ok 22LR comes in a couple variety's
normal
high velocity
hyper velocity
some guns are not rated for hyper velocity ammo. I have never seen a rifle that wasn't but you should check just to make sure, most of the time its pistols but almost all of the big boys make them to take the hyper velo stuff now. I don't own a Mossy22 so I can answer off the cuff but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have had a mossy 702 for over a year and a half, shot probably 2000 rnds of mini-mags through it with not one failure or problem of any kind
how do they shoot for you? I find anything over the sound barrier to be all over the place.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
I have had a mossy 702 for over a year and a half, shot probably 2000 rnds of mini-mags through it with not one failure or problem of any kind
how do they shoot for you? I find anything over the sound barrier to be all over the place.
out of my Mossberg 702, Savage MkII and my sons Crickett they group great, nice and tight, but out of my Ruger 10/22 they were all over the place, even bulk federal performed better in it accuracy wise, feeding was another story though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.