Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@Visper responded to another thread here about the Mossberg MC2C 9mm handgun. It is a handgun that I wanted to like, but passed on. Honestly because I did not like the plastic in the firing pin channel, and I especially did not like the clear plastic magazines. My previous experience with Mossberg was their model 500 shotgun, which was a positive one, and with the Mossberg Davidsons Exclusive 464 Brush Gun, which I turned into a lever action scout rifle. It is a favorite.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

With that in mind, I wondered if I could build a battery of Mossberg firearms to meet what I consider basic needs. I decided some time back that my primary cartridges would be 22LR, 9mm Luger, 223 Remington, 308 Winchester, and 12 gauge. I wanted to keep my choices within these constraints if possible. I am also frugal in nature, so that is important to me as well. Off to the Mossberg web page!

let’s start with the social work category. For an EDC handgun, the MC2SC does check off all the categories of an easy to conceal and carry handgun. As it’s only offered in 9mm, it fits my cartridge requirements as well. MSRP $556.005 of 5.
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

For a night stand gun, open carry, or winter carry where larger is ok or even desirable. MSRP $505.00. The MC2C also fits the bill. 5 of 5.
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

And the shotgun also has a place for social work. The Model 500 ATI Tactical seems to speak to me. Chambered for 12 gauge, MSRP is $643. And it has the "all business" look. Another 5 of 5.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Engineering

Finally an AR15 style rifle is almost a requirement. It is after all the most popular rifle in the USA Today. Mossberg offers the MMR carbine. With a MSRP of $997 it sort of offends my sense of budget, but let’s take into consideration that it will have an actual retail price of somewhat less. Chambered for 223 Remington / 5.56 NATO, it meets my cartridge requirements. 4 of 5.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine gun

Next we move to hunting. I do like to hunt the whistle pig, and the cartridge I am looking for here is the 223 Remington. Alas I see nothing in the Mossberg line up in 223 Remington that stands out to me as a good groundhog rifle. They have the scout and patrol rifles, but they have 16" barrels. I would want at least a 20" barrel. But as I need a groundhog rifle, I will pitch the Patriot rifle in 22-250 Remington. It’s an excellent cartridge for groundhogs, just not my preferred. Some might question my choice of a sportier contour barrel for a varminter, but whistle pigs are not like shooting over a prairie dog town. I might only shoot a half dozen shots on a good day, not too worried about the barrel heating. MSRP is $594.00. I am going to go 3 of 5 on this one, but only because it doesn’t have a bull barrel (I know, contradictory to what I said earlier) and it’s not chambered in 223 Remington.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Next I need a Beanfield rifle. Lots to choose from here, but my choice was easy. The Patriot Night Train in 308 Winchester. I do like this rifle, might have to actually buy one. MSRP is $871.00 which is over my frugal limit, but that price includes a 6x24x50 scope and a bi-pod, so it gets a pass. 5 of 5.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

Next I need a woods rifle. The obvious choice here is the 464. The 464 SPX is an abomination, but it has pig rifle written all over it. Still, the 30-30 chambering is not on my list of desired chambering. So what is a desciple of Jeff Cooper to do? Why, pick up the MVP Scout in 308 Winchester of course. MSRP is $643, or it’s available with a scout scope combo with a 2x7x32 scope for $804.00. This one is a 5 of 5 too.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

How about wingshooting or bunnies on the move. Got to have a shotgun. This was another easy one for me. The 500 Field Classic. Chambered in 12 gauge, this is a very good looking shotgun with its glossy walnut, jeweled bolt and deep bluing. MSRP is $526.00 Another 5 of 5.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font

Unfortunately I have run out of allowable attachments. My thoughts on Mossberg will continue on post #2.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also want a couple of 22 rifles. A bolt action and a semi automatic. My squirrel hunting strategy includes stalking where I want a bolt 22 rifle. Another favorite tactic is to find a feed lot where I set up before daylight and wait for the sun and the squirrels to come out. I can often bag my limit in just a few minutes. A semi auto fills the bill here.

the bolt rifle is easy since Mossberg only offers one .22 bolt rifle. The 802 Plinkster. The sights are hideous, but I will be scoping this one anyway, so I would simply remove the sights. MSRP is $204. I will give this rifle 4 of 5.
Water Rectangle Font Bridge Asphalt

The semi automatic 22 is a bit harder for me to choose. The 702 plinkster has the classic 22 semi automatic look, but it has those same hideous sights, Again I would scope the rifle and remove the iron sights. The MSRP is very attractive at $143.00 though. Again 4 of 5.

Font Vehicle Rectangle Gun accessory Darkness

The Mossberg Blaze has a look that appeals to me. Sort of like a cross between an AK and a SKS. The sights are similar to the other offerings, but somehow they just don’t look as bad. I have a red dot that I think would be at home on this rifle. I do believe this would be my choice for the semi-automatic. The sort of unique looks I think trumps the Classic look…sort of. MSRP $224.00. I think 5 of 5 on this one.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Still life photography

With the exception of a varmint rifle chambered in my preferred cartridge, Mossberg has a line up I like. I am going to give some serious thought and research to the Patriot Night Train. I really like that rifle. I don’t think I will run out and order the Blaze .22, but if I were to see one in the LGS….we’ll….let’s just say if for nothing else, that rifle would be a lot of fun shooting clay targets and Neeco wafers at the range. And another offering that I am very interested in would be the MVP Patrol chambered in 300 Blackout. I know it’s not one of my "preferred" cartridges, but it is a cartridge I am heavily invested in. I will not be abandoning it.
Water Automotive lighting Automotive tire Asphalt Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
21,665 Posts
The little Mossy 8 takes Glock 43 mags. There is better choices out there for single stack 9's with more aftermarket support.

I you want a .223 AR with a 20" barrel you have all the parts to build it except for the barrel. Sell the 450, or 458 barrel and apply that towards a 20".

·
Premium Member
36,185 Posts
Personally, I LIKE the light pipe sights, they are easy to adjust, easy to see, easy to put on target. Only issue is they are a bit exposed and lightly built for hard use.

But Mossberg used to have the BEST sights on any .22 made, with both a micro adjusting rear peep sight for targets that could swing out of the way to use the fully adjustable blade type on the barrel for snap shooting, and hooded front sights with a choice of 4 different post shapes. All metal, of course. Then, they also used to offer their own scopes as well, something no other gun maker did at the time.

My grandson has a base model Patriot in .308. I shot it, it was pretty nice, IMHO. My SIL bought it from a fellow oil field guy looking for beer money for $150. He’s gotten a LOT of deals like that over the years.

As to the clear plastic mags on the hand gun, I have several ETS extended mags for the Glock and the AR, they work fine, but I think under extended use, they may not last as long as OEM. In a carry handgun, I don’t know if they would be as exposed to abuse, but...it’s still not my preference.

Finally, the Blaze .22. Polymer receiver, very light weight, and $100 more than the 702 Plinkster. The barrel, bolt and trigger guard are steel. It takes about 16 screws to take the 2 piece stock apart for disassembly if you ever decide to clean inside.

I couldn’t get behind it. But I LOVE the Plinkster, it’s very accurate, very ergonomic for my short frame size, and the Boy Scouts that shoot it usually preferred it over the Rugers and Marlins.

And BTW, the lever gun comes in .22 LR too.

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I LIKE the light pipe sights, they are easy to adjust, easy to see, easy to put on target. Only issue is they are a bit exposed and lightly built for hard use.

But Mossberg used to have the BEST sights on any .22 made, with both a micro adjusting rear peep sight for targets that could swing out of the way to use the fully adjustable blade type on the barrel for snap shooting, and hooded front sights with a choice of 4 different post shapes. All metal, of course. Then, they also used to offer their own scopes as well, something no other gun maker did at the time.

My grandson has a base model Patriot in .308. I shot it, it was pretty nice, IMHO. My SIL bought it from a fellow oil field guy looking for beer money for $150. He’s gotten a LOT of deals like that over the years.

As to the clear plastic mags on the hand gun, I have several ETS extended mags for the Glock and the AR, they work fine, but I think under extended use, they may not last as long as OEM. In a carry handgun, I don’t know if they would be as exposed to abuse, but...it’s still not my preference.

Finally, the Blaze .22. Polymer receiver, very light weight, and $100 more than the 702 Plinkster. The barrel, bolt and trigger guard are steel. It takes about 16 screws to take the 2 piece stock apart for disassembly if you ever decide to clean inside.

I couldn’t get behind it. But I LOVE the Plinkster, it’s very accurate, very ergonomic for my short frame size, and the Boy Scouts that shoot it usually preferred it over the Rugers and Marlins.

And BTW, the lever gun comes in .22 LR too.
I looked at the Mossberg site when posting this. A couple of things I found since I looked a long time ago. First, Mossberg doesn’t use polymer mags in their pistols any more. They are now steel. And the 464 in no longer offered in 22 LR.

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The little Mossy 8 takes Glock 43 mags. There is better choices out there for single stack 9's with more aftermarket support.

I you want a .223 AR with a 20" barrel you have all the parts to build it except for the barrel. Sell the 450, or 458 barrel and apply that towards a 20".
Don’t need another 20" AR. I was just lamenting the fact that Mossberg didn’t show a bolt rifle in 223 except for the 16" barreled MVP rifles.

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They look a lot like the sights on my Rossi RS22:

View attachment 74159

I find them easy to use, but they are made of polymer (sounds better than saying plastic).
I am 99.999% sure that the Mossberg Rimfires are rebranded Rossi rifles with different stocks.

Reactions: TNTRAILERTRASH

·
Premium Member
36,185 Posts
I looked at the Mossberg site when posting this. A couple of things I found since I looked a long time ago. First, Mossberg doesn’t use polymer mags in their pistols any more. They are now steel. And the 464 in no longer offered in 22 LR.
Yeah, my comment was about those mags, not about anything else.

And that’s sad about the lever gun. I wonder if any are left on a shelf anywhere?

I am 99.999% sure that the Mossberg Rimfires are rebranded Rossi rifles with different stocks.
They’re CBC builds, there was a version called Magtech, then the Mossberg, then the Rossi. So not a rebranded Rossi, rather, a gun made by CBC that has been rebranded as a Mossberg, then as a Rossi.

Reactions: Visper

·
Administrator
28,733 Posts
Nice posts Greg. Does Mossberg have a 9mm PCC? I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

If not, I don't know if that's a "glaring hole in their line up" or if it's a "smart decision to not fight in an over-crowded market."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty sure they have no PPC of any flavor. I think they are missing the boat. They should at least have a lever action in 357 or 44

Reactions: lklawson and ajole

·
Premium Member
36,185 Posts
Pretty sure they have no PPC of any flavor. I think they are missing the boat. They should at least have a lever action in 357 or 44
Exactly. If you are making a 30-30, chambering to run .357 can't be that hard. And .44 mag isn't a huge step from there.
Then someone should go nuts and make a .350 Legend lever gun too.:LOL:

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Looks about right. RB22 is probably the same deal, can't really tell by this photo. Both my Rossi's shoot extremely well, glad I got them and for a good price. The Plinkster 25rnd mag will work on the RS22 but not on the RB22 due to differences in the trigger guard. Thompson Center makes a 22 similar to these but when I held one at the LGS it felt flimsy compared to the Rossi. Wish Rossi would offer a wood stock replacement. Wood good, polymer bad.
Wood Trigger Grey Air gun Gun barrel

Here's photos of a scope mounted on them:

Shoe Air gun Trigger Grey Machine gun

Air gun Wood Road surface Grey Trigger

And a NC Star rail, should work on the Mossy too:
Textile Pink Gadget Rectangle Magenta

White Black Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I love my plinksters! Great little 22 rifles. I picked up 2 slightly used 702's years back for 150 bucks. After that I kinda went on a Mossberg 22 rifle binge. I currently own 5 or 6 different 22 Mossberg rifles from circa 1950. Can't remember all the model #'s right now, but they are bolt action, mag fed and tube fed from the butt stock. One is carbine length with flip down fore end (1950's tactical). All of them function perfect and eat anything I feed them except one of the mag fed ones. Just haven't been able to get it to cycle right. I've had a couple bolt action mag fed Mossy shotguns as well. Still own a 20g. Pics of most of em are probably on here somewhere. Haha
I think Mossbergs, especially the older ones are very underrated and still very reasonably priced for collectors. I love em!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts