Most of my guns

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by elguapo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Nice Collection.

The first few pics all i see is a tangle of black, contrast may be too much between the white sheet, that or its just late.

2. Nice Saiga!! Primal got to shoot mine at the range the other day. Mine is 7.62x39. Nice collection as well.

3. duker_sponk

duker_sponk Guest

Nice collection! Now when are we going to go out and hit the range? :lol:

4. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Very nice. You sure are ready for Dawn of the Dead.

5. Ari

Ari Guest

I like that carry setup a bunch. Tell more about the mauser...

6. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Looks like a yugo M48 unless i miss my guess.

SW

7. Ari

Ari Guest

It is what it is. You are right! M48 what is throwing me is that the bolt looks blued. But it might just be the light. All the M48s I have seen the bolts are not blued....

8. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Yes, M48. I still need a gunsmith to check it out: Numbers do not match at all. For $100, I wasnt complaining.

9. Ari

Ari Guest

Guapo did you do anything to stock on your Mosin? As it too looks very clean. Really you have a very well rounded nice collection going.

10. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Nothing stock wise. I wiped it down with a water wetted rag, and that was it. I did clean a bit more Cosmo out of the rest of it though.

11. elguapo,

When summer comes take the stock off the M44, wrap it in burlap and lay it out during the heat of the day. That will help sweat the cosmo out and after a couple weeks of doing this, changing the burlap regularly, you will have a stock that would be ready for refinishing. In between burlap changes I would do a thorough cleaning with kerosene or acetone to help remove as much surface cosmo as possible.

Be amazed at how much cosmo is embedded in the poors of the wood on those things. Once the process is complete the wood has a nice hard feel to it, especially inside the action/barrel channel. Most of the M44's have a spongy/soft feel to the wood due to years of cosmo saturation.

I have refinished a number of M44, M38 and 91/30 stocks over the years. Some looked almost black when I started but once I got the cosmo out of the wood grain most of them had some really beautify wood to work with. Had two "junker" M44's that turned out to have laminated stocks and they came out looking like Parade pieces when I was finished.

12. WarChilde

WarChilde Guest

Veddy nice. I could use some range time to get my score up. Kinda hard when all I do is hand out bullets when it comes to the range.

Where's the old plinker at?

"Weapon UP and DOWN range!!"

13. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I will try that.
    As it is, the wood has a laquer finish on it. It has some blems, but nothing I will get in a twist over.

Warchilde: Range time is the best time...providing you are the one doing the shooting. If I was you? I would shoot up all the left overs that you know units leave behind at the range. My .03 cents.