Most powerful bolt rifle caliber? 338 Lapua!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the 338 Lapua is the most powerful bolt rifle caliber ever made. According to Wikipedia, the Americans and British used it as a sniper rifle in Afghanistan. It's my new "have to have" rifle. Wife says I don't need one.

2. Branth

Branth Member

They make 50BMG bolt guns. Hell, I think someone made a 20mm anti-tank bolt gun.

The 338 is a hell of a cartridge though. Arguably the best long range cartridge around.

3. Browning 9 Guy

I would definitively love to have a 20mm bolt rifle. (Wife couldn't know)

4. Branth

Branth Member

Good luck hiding this beast from the wife!

[​IMG]

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You are wrong. There's at least a dozen more powerful bolt guns.
    .338-378 Weatherby Mag, Lazzeroni 8.59 Titan, .338 A-Square, .338 Excaliber, 9.3X63 Mauser, 416 Rigby, .408 CheyTac, .375 CheyTac, .458 Lott...I'm sure there's more.

She is right. You don't need one.

But since when was that part of the gun buying equation?:p

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  6. 577 Tyrannosaur T Rex. 10420 ft/lbs at muzzle 750 grains at 2480 ft/s.

7. Branth

Branth Member

The 20mm has a muzzle energy of 39,500 ft-lbs.

8. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

When someone says "You don't need that gun!", that's the perfect excuse to go buy that gun.

9. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    Kinda like you don't need another pair of shoes.....

10. Browning 9 Guy

I can see this beauty as a showpiece in the den -- polished to a mirror shine, trim painted black, a catchy name engraved like "the Beast".

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

There's a small gunshop in Tampa that's got one of those for sale.....

12. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

What's their asking price? We talking Wilson Combat/Nighthawk 1911 prices or full auto Uzi/Barret .50cal prices or Cadillac Escalade prices?

13. I'm pretty sure aim surplus had one converted to 50bmg. For something like $7,000

14. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

But the Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua magnum is so much fun to shoot . Shoot at targets over 2700 yards away and still have enough energy at the target to do damage . A few vids on YouTube showing 2700 yrd attempts and the hearing and seeing the AR500 plate move considerably . At that distance a .338 Lapua magnum rd has over 600lbs of force at the target . That's why the military still uses this rd because of how easily you create red mist at long ranges

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Mag fed 20mm bolt action http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

:D.........

17. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    A 300 wind Mag is close enough for me.. And a lot cheaper..
    Chris Kyle used this round for most of his kills.. According to his book?

18. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

3561 yrd attempt with .338Lapua magnum ...... that's over a 2 mile shot and trying to hit a 24"x24" target

at 6:34 min and 7:34 min confirmed hits on the 24" x 24" AR500 plate on the lower left

that's 854 yards or just under 3/4 mile farther than the longest confirmed sniper shot in Afghanistan !!

https://youtu.be/VE8agUUdBfQ