Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Please Delete
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be your guess ?

I think its those horrid Tasco rimfire scopes they been making forever.I had one on a Crosman 760 in the 70's. The price has always hovered @20 dolla range

Camera accessory Bicycle part Auto part Metal Event

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
At least the Tasco's from the 60-70's were better made scopes than today. Those old Tasco's were made in Japan. They competed with many Weaver, Bushnell, Redfield, Leupold, and others of that period. It's just most scopes had better backing from the manufacturer than Tasco's.

I still see a few old Tasco's mounted on hunting guns as they were that good, though cheap. Back then, a $20 scope is equivilent to a decent $150 scope today. If it works, is it really a bad scope because of the price. Nope.

·
Registered
Please Delete
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least the Tasco's from the 60-70's were better made scopes than today. Those old Tasco's were made in Japan. They competed with many Weaver, Bushnell, Redfield, Leupold, and others of that period. It's just most scopes had better backing from the manufacturer than Tasco's.

I still see a few old Tasco's mounted on hunting guns as they were that good, though cheap. Back then, a $20 scope is equivilent to a decent $150 scope today. If it works, is it really a bad scope because of the price. Nope.
I didnt mean they were bad because of the price. Sometimes I forget I'm on the HPF.

·
Administrator
24,929 Posts

The old Western Auto .243 my ex crunt kept, although I don't blame her because it WAS originally her grandmother's and passed to her father then to me with the promise it went with one of her children, had one of those original Tasco 4x scopes on it. That thing was a tank and still dead on after all those years. All it ever needed to be adjusted for was the focus because her people were blind as bats.

·
Registered
Please Delete
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The old Western Auto .243 my ex crunt kept, although I don't blame her because it WAS originally her grandmother's and passed to her father then to me with the promise it went with one of her children, had one of those original Tasco 4x scopes on it. That thing was a tank and still dead on after all those years. All it ever needed to be adjusted for was the focus because her people were blind as bats.
I was writing about the rimfire model with the tipoff mounts

·
Administrator
24,929 Posts
I was writing about the rimfire model with the tipoff mounts
You opened your post with a question. If you wanted everyone to agree with you, you shouldn't have asked for opinions.

·
Registered
Please Delete
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You opened your post with a question. If you wanted everyone to agree with you, you shouldn't have asked for opinions.
pffft... this is why theres so little participation on what should be a busy site.... crabby gatekeepers

·
Premium Member
36,046 Posts
Gotta be the 4x15 rimfire/airgun scopes for 3/8 dovetails.... these. Got to be billions made in last 60 years
That’s what I’d suggest as well.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
I used to have a Tasco Pronghorn 4x30 in gloss black, it was on a 1950s Nylon 66 with matching gloss dovetail mounts. Probably the 3rd to 5th most produced/copied scope around.
Bicycle part Rim Auto part Office supplies Metal

·
Administrator
24,929 Posts
Near as I can tell... you didn't post a picture of the same model :rolleyes:
Yes, must be the picture... Despite the fact that I described it as the original version, on a model of rifle no longer in production, that has now been passed down through 4 generations... All that must not have properly dated the scope I was describing.

·
Premium Member
36,046 Posts
So he's wise for saying the same exact scope I mentioned, but I'm just a grumpy gate keeper...
I thought you meant a 1” tube, like the one in CamoDeafies post, not the little rimfire unit.

·
Administrator
24,929 Posts
I thought you meant a 1” tube, like the one in CamoDeafies post, not the little rimfire unit.
Which post, because he posted two, and the comments came BEFORE camo posted the second scope. Plus Jim has an axe to grind because he's had a half dozen rules violations in a week... so there's that...

·
Premium Member
36,046 Posts
Which post, because he posted two, and the comments came BEFORE camo posted the second scope. Plus Jim has an axe to grind because he's had a half dozen rules violations in a week... so there's that...
Probably the post that shows a Tasco with a 1" tube.....

·
Administrator
24,929 Posts
Probably the post that shows a Tasco with a 1" tube.....
So my comment about a Tasco scope in the thread about Tasco rimfire scopes lead you to believe I wasn't talking about a tasco rimfire scope... okay...

·
Premium Member
36,046 Posts
So my comment about a Tasco scope in the thread about Tasco rimfire scopes lead you to believe I wasn't talking about a tasco rimfire scope... okay...
Well....it wasn't on a gun that most would think has 3/8 inch dovetails, so yeah.
So, Western Auto had a .243 with a tipoff rail? Cool. Do you know who made it? My bet would be Savage. But my research says Mossberg.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts