most reliable caliber of hi point pistol?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Hansj3, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

Is there a caliber that hi point makes that is inherently more reliable? I'm thinking it might be the .45, as one could get the thingmaster catch and run hi quality 1911 mags, or because the size of .45 acp may be more forgiving in the loading processbut from mom is there a difference?

2. I've only owned the .45 and it's reliable.
    I love it. And I don't think it's ugly. I actually love the Hi Point look/feel.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    All the 6 HP pistols I've had ran reliably, but you have the right idea.
    I'd say the JHP with the TMF Mag Catch would offer the best possible
    combo of all. TheJCP has a little more snap to the recoil and holds an
    extra round, but if you go to the 1911 mags you can overcome that
    1 round deficit easily :D My sidearms of choice for my 4595 is the
    trusty 1911, however. I also have the TMF for the 4595 for mag sharing...

To Wit:

Attached Files:

4. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

(Clears throat) Jcp definitely snappy! Would trade for JHP!!! :D

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The .45 is the one that has never ever had an issue, but the .40 was just a quick mag tweak, and the .380 was only ever unreliable because I had to dump the sand out of the action to make it reliable...:rolleyes:

To me, the ACP rounds as designed by JMB are very, very reliable. The HP's that shoot them are as reliable as the mags allow them to be.;)

As to the JCP being snappy...try shooting a Taurus PT140, and then the JCP feels like a marshmallow. A big heavy marshmallow.:D

6. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

It did feel better than the TCP I shot right before it......

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'd say we see the least amount of problems with the JHP here on the forum.
    Doesn't mean you can't get a lemon though, but that applies to every product.

8. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    one more vote for the .45.
    Have only dealt with the 9 and 45.

9. Ive found on the 9 it takes laying down the pimp hand on the slide when racking for the first few (hundred) rounds until she starts to behave. never have a problem after that. my jhp was a willing mistress from the start.

10. undeRGRound

INDY
  11. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

For my money, I'd go with the .45. The only reason is, you can replace the mag release with the thingmeister mag release. I'm not a fan of the HP Mags, they seem flimsy, bulky and the mag springs seem weakish. I just don't have a lot of "faith" in them. Two just don't fit in my back pocket like a 1911 magazine does.

So, IMHO: .45 AFTER having a thingmeister installed. Probably the best 30.00 you could spend on your HP.

12. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

Glad to hear that the jhp may be the best of the bunch. That and the proliferation of excellent 1911 mags that are cheaper than what come from mom, will make it my next hi point.

13. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Agree. the JCP would be reliable with a better mags that's the only thing holding it back from 45 style reliability.

14. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I'd prefer a "full sized" 9mm version of the HP. But I don't think HP is making one of those any time soon. So, just going with what they have, .45 with 1911 mags and a thingmeister conversion. I REALLY should get a thingmeister discount with how many times I've recommended the product.

15. FUBO

FUBO Member

Yeah, but try concealing the JCP.

16. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida

I am not seeing anything for posting about the newly available 1911 drum. I am sure that has boosted his sales too. :(

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    The "small bore" babes need the most TLC, IYKWIM ;)

:welcome:FUBO!!! :D