Mother questions motives of LEO who shot her son, a CCW holder

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by lklawson, May 5, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Mother questions motives of police officer who shot her son, a concealed handgun licensee

Mother questions motives of police officer who shot her son, a concealed handgun licensee
    by Chad D. Baus
    7:00am Friday, May 01, 2015

A late night at Lucky’s Bar and Grill in Columbus nearly turned deadly for an Ohio concealed handgun licensee last month.

According to the Columbus Dispatch, Joseph Davis Jr. told his mother he and a friend were in his car in the bar's parking lot when a fight among some women broke out nearby. In the chaos that followed, Davis says he honked his horn at the crowd and tried to leave, but was approached by a Columbus police officer.

From the article:

The police officer approached the passenger’s side of Davis’ car, where the window was down. He turned a flashlight beam on them and Davis’ gun was visible in his pocket.

Davis told his mother that he looked down at the gun, then both he and his passenger raised their hands.

The officer then fired inside the car, hitting Davis. He was then pulled out of the driver’s seat, put on the ground and handcuffed.

Davis later told WTTE (Fox Columbus) "I thought I was dead. I thought he was going to keep shooting." Instead, Davis was transported to Grant medial hospital for a gunshot wound to the stomach. He is expected to make a full recovery.

Davis says the officer shot him through the glass window of his car. Witnesses at the scene also dispute the Dispatch's report (above) that the window was down.

Davis' mother, Tonyen Ross, says her son and his friend told her he did not reach for the gun in his pocket. Despite the fact that both Davis and the police officer who fired the shot are black, Davis' mother suggests that racial profiling was behind the incident:

He is more than 6 feet tall, has dreadlocks and had a gun in his pocket.

That’s why Tonyen Ross believes her son, Joseph Davis Jr., was shot by a Columbus police officer who was working special duty at an East Side bar over the weekend.

“It’s profiling,” Ross said. “He fit the profile of someone who carries.”/COLOR]

According to his family, Davis is a high school graduate, with a full time job, and that he stays out of trouble. His mother told the Dispatch that he has no felony record, and is licensed to carry a concealed weapon. She said he wasn’t drunk or high that night. She said her son goes to church and helps take care of a grandmother who has Alzheimer’s disease.

For their part, and though they have released few details about the shooting, police say they believe the officer acted appropriately:

Jason Pappas, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Capital City Lodge No. 9, went to the shooting scene that night. And though he said he doesn’t know the investigative details of the case, he believes Woods acted within legal and departmental policy.

“I am confident that a review of the shooting will show that the officer was right from beginning to the end,” Pappas said.

The officer who shot Davis has been identified as Emanuel Woods, a 30 year-old who has been a Columbus police officer for two years.

Departmental policies mandate an internal review take place after any officer-involved shooting.

Buckeye Firearms Association will continue to monitor this story and provide updates as they become available.

Chad D. Baus is the Buckeye Firearms Association Secretary, BFA PAC Vice Chairman, and an NRA-certified firearms instructor. He is the editor of BuckeyeFirearms.org, which received the Outdoor Writers of Ohio 2013 Supporting Member Award for Best Website.

I really don't care about how he's a nice guy and cares for his grandmother. I want the facts. Why did the officer shoot? It sure doesn't sound like he had a reason to.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It sounds to me as if the mere presence of a visible weapon is enough to warrant summary execution of a CFW holder, based on the account as it is written. That is hardly a proper state of affairs. Police have a right to live through their shifts, but legally-armed citizens have just as much of a right to live through their days, too. They carry so that they can survive violent encounters with criminals; not so that they can be marked for death by LE organizations who have prioritized officer safety over public safety.

We shall see if there is more to this case, though. At this point, the shooting does not sound legit.

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Sounds like a bad shoot.... We'll see as more info arises....

4. More reason for body cams, if the occupant/driver had reached for his gun it would clear the officer.

5. Branth

Branth Member

Yeah, I'm interested in hearing the officer's justification for this one, too. It certainly doesn't look good.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well, according to Momma...because he's RACIST and was profiling!!!!

Apparently Momma hasn't got the word...Black people can't BE racist.:cool:

But I am with you Kirk...what was the actual reason?

7. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Did you see the interview where this intelligent lady said white privilege is so pervasive in Baltimore that it doesn't even require the presence of white people anymore?

I've managed to lose the link, but it was a pretty interesting theory.

8. panoz77

panoz77 Member

The LEO is going to say that the person reached for the weapon (even if that is a complete fallacy), no video and it is the word of the LEO vs the citizen. I'll give you one guess who will be believed. This LEO will not be charged with anything even though the law abiding CCW holder would have absolutely NO REASON to reach for his firearm.

9. Actually it is a very common occurrence for reaching for a waistband when confronted by a LEO. Even when the person is not armed, and would seem not to have a reason to reach. Must be a subconscious response, or muscle memory.

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Common for who? I don't even reach for the glove box when I get pulled over. I damn sure don't reach for my waistband, carrying or not, without telling them I'm reaching for my wallet.

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

This whole story is based on his momma said this and he said that. Was the window up or down? His story changes because there's more to it. Just cause he had A ccw doesn't mean he innocent. Wait for the facts. Racial my a$$. What's he doing at a bar with a gun? I smell BS about Mister I was just sitting in my car.

12. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Yeah I've never reached for anything at all when talking to LEO, but then again I make sure to make all of my movements nice and slow, always face them, with my hands in plain sight.

Always tell them about my pocket knife and let them get it out themselves along with the glovebox gun before I grab my paperwork.

Well that's if I'm being pulled over, which is rare, usually on the bike I just pull my keys out and toss them next to the back tire and dismount, don't carry anything on the bike for obvious safety reasons.

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Can't be racist.... The cop was black!

14. Maybe we need to start wearing body cams for our own protection.

15. I do wear one, they are not expensive.

16. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

We need to send Al Sharpton and E. Holder down there to straighten this out. Oh wait! The officer was black! Damn! what was I thinking? The kid obviously went for his gun :rolleyes:

17. what_now

what_now Member

I'm not buying the idea of his pistol sticking out of his pocket far enough for an officer standing on the passenger side of the car to see it.

18. Surfnayl

Surfnayl Member

I know it is hard constantly keep a handgun concealed, carrying in a pocket is careless, should be in a holster. I know of an incident where a retired LEO was in a Home Depot carrying a revolver in his pocket with the handle sticking out. LP called police because two patrons were following him through the store and eyeing up the revolver. Two LEOs were able to approach from behind secure weapon and subject. Once credentials were determined the retiree got tongue lashing about proper carry.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's a pretty broad statement.

Personally, I find it extremely easy to keep a handgun concealed, I do it for 6-8 hours a day, standing in front of teenagers. Thank goodness Utah allows carry in schools!:D

And pocket carry isn't careless...they make holsters specifically for that purpose.;)

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's legal in Ohio provided 1) you don't consume alcohol 2) the bar isn't "posted" with a gun-buster sign. When the CCW law was amended to include this language there was the usual hysteria of "blood in the bars!" Naturally, the bars-run-red didn't come to pass.

Was he actually at the bar? When I read the story, he was parked outside of it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk