Movie set during WW2 - name the movie and actor

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Browning 9 Guy, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I never want to get any messages that were holding our position. We arent holding anything. We'll let the Hun do that! We are going to hold him by the nose and kick him in the a.. ..... We're going to grab him by the nose and we're going to go through him like crap through goose!

(May not exactly ver batim, but this scene was terrific.). I wish the central character had lived into old age. What stories he could have told.

2. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

what is PATTON with George Scott?

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

They shoulda listened to him about the Russians..... May have changed the face of the world.

4. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

Yeah Hitler gets all the press, but a couple of our allies, Stalin and Mao, went on to commit larger genocides.

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Makes you wonder what could have been.

6. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

So what's everyone's favorite ww2 movie? I go for realism a bit more. The Pacific, Band of brothers, Das Boot that kind of thing.

7. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Agreed, Band of Brothers. I also like Memphis Bell.

8. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

Memphis Bell was good as well. My Grandfather was a Mechanic (top turret gunner) on a B-24 named the Fairy Bell.

9. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I'm always going to be partial to the Air Force lol. When I worked in the nursing home I cared for a B29 tail gunner and a Canadian P51 pilot. Of our 380 thousand done odd kia 100 thousand of them were airmen. I loved the tv series 12 o clock High. It was the very first show we watched the night pops brought home or first tv.

10. rickm

rickm Member

I liked the movie To Hell and Back even thou i only seen it 1 time and have been looking for it everywhere so can watch it again but no luck, but there are several others that really enjoyed watching also

11. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

12. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

My favorites was Hogan's Heros and McHale's Navy.

Wasn't there also a movie made about PT-109?

13. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

I have a vague recollection of one, I think it was about Kennedy. I'll see if I can find the name of it.

14. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

It is called PT-109, who would of thought:p

16. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

As far as good war movies, Das Boot has a very compelling story and is expertly done. The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum is very good also. There are so many good ones it is hard to pick one.

17. Benjamin

Benjamin Member

18. a previous post mentioned the 12 O'clock High tv show. I absolutely love the movie starring Gregory Peck. ( absolutely my favorite actor of all time). I vaguely remember the TV show but the movie is top notch.

Aside from that I could watch Combat all day long.

Sorry I have no quotes to offer

19. tonka45

tonka45 Junior Member Member

Who said it and what movie? :
    "To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some sort of weird sandwich; not a nut that takes on 3 Tigers..."

20. AS6

AS6 Legible in My Own Mind Member

The movie is Kelly's Heros
    The Charactor is Oddball played by Donald Southerland