Moving to the next level.

Discussion in 'Training' started by Lighthorse, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

You have invested allot of time and money into your gear and training. You know what works best for you, there are many talking points. Weather it be battle field or protecting your home. Moving to the next level, is the best and cheapest one of all.
    Learning to keep yourself out of situation where you need to apply your gear and training. Using the best tool in your bag, the one you were born with your Brain.

One of things I see folks talk about allot is home defense, most Conceal carry class cover home defense if not all.

Yes its a good thing to have a plan. But it seems as though thats where it ends defending yourself in your home.

Depending on the situation, the last place you want to be is in your house. If you allow yourself to trapped inside you home, you have given up your mobility. Your mobility is the last thing you want to give up...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. colthrash

colthrash Member

unless you are a person of limited mobility, then being in familiar surroundings and knowing the placement of furniture and interior doors and halls gives you the upper hand over an attacker who has to breach into unfamiliar territory. personal protection is exactly that, PERSONAL. what works for me probably won't work for anyone else. I know my capabilities inside my own home, and I like my chances...

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Home defense with an escape plan sounds like a good idea. Also fortifying your home makes a lot of sense too?
    One must be ready to give up the ghost in order to save their possessions!

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Two points here.

First...I think "Learning to keep yourself out of situation where you need to apply your gear and training" should be the first level. You should know and understand that way before you start arming up.

Otherwise, it's got mall ninja written all over it.;)

Secondly...you assume that everyone's brain is their best tool. While I wish it were true, I have reason to suspect that it ain't necessarily so.:(

Depending on the situation, defending your home from outside your home is illegal.

Say I'm defending my home from a lone intruder, they already got into the basement.

You want me to go outside, and attack them from there? Wait until they exit, and blast 'em?

Both will get you an interview with some legal folks.

I doubt this is the scenario you meant. Be specific about the situation you mean.

5. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

ajole, I love it, I will agree on your first point, How many times have you seen it happen that way?

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Can't argue, I will agree with you there.:)

Like many things we see, what should be and what is aren't always the same.

7. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Thanks great point, and one of reasons for not be so specific, kinda leaves the topic wide open.

8. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Now, to your second point I assume nothing. Yes I believe everyones brain is there best tool...
    "Defending your home from the outside is illegal" False, it is not. As you pointed out depends on the situation.

You see ajole, this is where I think things really bad for you and I today.

Here is where you put words in mouth and in way, try to make me look foolish. I don't need your help with this, looking foolish that is.

I said nothing about a lone intruder who was already in your home. That was you, Then you go on, and say "I want you to go outside and attack them."

I missed that part also. I said nothing about attacking anyone..

I also missed the part where I told you (edit) to blast anyone. How ever I do agree with you about the scenario you have laid out. It will get you an interview with LE. But thats your scenario, not mine..

I wasn't specific, kinda left it wide open. As you so kindly pointed out in the other thread "in hopes we could learn something." Guess I was wrong again.

Yes, I know your going to come back and say, "I said I doubt this is the scenario you meant," and with out doubt you say you weren't be a smart azz. See its not fun when folks put words in mouth is it.

Oh, I almost forgot, see what nice guy I am, I never said one thing about the mall ninja comment but of corse you didn't mean anything by that ether.

So maybe you could get a clue, and we can act like men now.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Well, if anyone knows that truly stupid people exist, it's a teacher.

10. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Think about it, if someone of lesser intelligence were to read comments like this. Do you think their going to be inspired to jump right in, I highly doubt it. I really do have a distaste for folks who use the word Stupid. True teachers aid the less intelligent they don't point out the fact that they are less intelligent.

11. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Well that's just stupid!.......... Besides, I believe the statement was they know what stupid is, not that they point and laugh at it.

12. cicpup

Vermont
    Funny thing is, you don't think your post is insulting to those of "lesser intelligence" when it's actually worst than mine.

And I don't know if you noticed or not, but I really don't care what your opinion of me is.

13. cicpup

Vermont
    Exactamundo Boobaloo.

14. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Bull, I've went back and reread the posts, I seem to have missed the part where any one said, typed or even implied. "they know what stupid is, not that they point and laugh at it." Are you sure your not just making thing up?

cicpup, The word stupid was not brought into thread by me, I'll make a note. Note: The word Stupid, is not nearly as insulting as less intelligent.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, how ever some folks idea of Freedom of speech, is. I'm Free to say what I wish, but you say something back, its an outrage.

15. Bull

In these posts... Now if I need to make something up, I'll get back to you.....

16. cicpup

Vermont
    Pretty clear to me. But then I wrote it so I knew where I was going.

You should make a note to look up the word "context". Your post as a whole was insulting to dummies everywhere. While you're at it, look up "semantics" too.

Which is exactly what you did Rev. Al. Let's not fool yourself into thinking that you actually bother me. I'm just bored and you're my shiny play thing for the moment.

17. Bull

I was actually trying to be light-hearted about it.....

18. cicpup

Vermont
    And I'm not?

19. Bull

That was only about a two on the Fujita/Talon sh*t storm scale.

20. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    But freedom of speech is not totally free, you can still be held responsible for what you say and pay a penalty for saying it.
    As far as on the street verses in the house confrontation, the odds of either happing are extremely low. But as I look at it, bad guy in house, shotgun #1. Your adrenaline is going up, your hands are shaking, your nerves are screaming, you are worried about your family, etc etc. My guess a very high % of the average home owners who have a pistol wouldn't hit a vital spot or stop a bad guy, coming at them. A shotgun makes more sense. Bad guy outside your house, call a Cop, or pull a Biden. Having said that, I have a shotgun in a gun cabinet and a pistol for home defense. :D