Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased MRE meals, and I was quite surprised, they tasted great. I could remember those meals in the army tasted nothing like the civilian types. Has anyone had a good mre or was I just hungry? I purchased them at http://www.thegetreadygroup.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ah memories. I used to trade with guys for their omelets and hash.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
I spent 2 weeks in 1998 living off them during the Ice storm we had up in Maine. I liked them and would lke to get more. YUMMY!!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Loved them!!! Especially with the little bottle of tobasco.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The first time I tasted one was four days after hurricane katrina, first significant meal I had since the storm. I was blown away by how good it was. It was menu no. 16, chicken with noodles, if I recall correctly.
One day last week, getting home late from work and not feeling like cooking, I decided to try another one. I've still got a case of 'em around here. Figured maybe the first one was seasoned with starvation, which makes anything taste good. Well, it was just as good this time around. The peanut M&Ms were a bit stale, though. :D

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
If I recall correctly MREs last for 3 years +or- a few months depending on storage.
Actually they should [if properly stored] will last 8 to 10 years and I read somwhere that someone tried an older one and it was still good.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Pay attention to note #2 below, shelf life is based on taste, not nutritional value or spoilage. If the individual pouch of food is not punctured or swollen, the food inside is probably safe to eat regardless of age.

Within reason, of course. A few years ago a friend gave me a box of early 80's dated MRE's he had stored in his garage. Absolute worst storage conditions as they probably fluctated between 120 and -25 degrees yearly. 20+ years and the retort packaged items were still good. Tasted fine, ate several and no ill effects. Now, the candy and other items not packed in the retort pouches was definitely stale, but the main entrees and sides held up just fine. Saving a few for the 30 year taste tests.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: U.S. Army's Natick Research Laboratories

Some of the best information available on MRE shelf life is the storage life chart (see below) compiled by the U.S. Army's Natick Research Laboratories. This chart provides a good overview and summary of the findings gathered from their testing of MRE Products.

MRE Storage
Temperature(F°) Months of Storage
120° 1
110° 5
100° 22
90° 55
80° 76
70° 100
60° 130
Note: Below 60° - not enough data yet collected, however, projections are the 130 month storage life will be extended.
Note: Time and Temperature have a cumulative effect. For example, storage at 100° for 11 months then removed to storage at 70° would lose one-half of the 70° storage life. Also avoid fluctuating temperatures, in and out of freezing levels. Due to the cumulative effect of time and temperature, a regular rotation of MRE's within 5 to 7 years is recommended.

More About MRE Shelf Life

1. The shelf life ratings shown in the chart on the front of this paper were determined by taste panels -panels of "average" people, mostly office personnel - at the Natick lab. Their opinions were combined to determine when a particular component, or in this case the entire MRE ration, was no longer acceptable.

2. The shelf life determinations were made solely on the basis of taste, as it was discovered that acceptable nutritional content and basic product safety would extend way beyond the point where taste degradation would occur. This means the MRE's would be safe and give a high degree of food value long after the timing suggested in the chart.

3. MRE pouches have been tested and redesigned where necessary according to standards much stricter than for commercial food. They must be able to stand up to abuse tests such as obstacle course traversal in field clothing pockets; storage outdoors anywhere in the world; shipping under extremely rough circumstances (such as by truck over rocky terrain); 100% survival of parachute drops; 75% survival from free failure drops; severe repetitive vibration (1 hour a t G vibration); 7,920 individual pouch drops from 20 inches; and individual ouches being subject to a static load of 200 pounds for three minutes.

4. Freezing an MRE retort pouch does not destroy the food inside, but repeated freezing increases the chance that the stretching and stressing of the pouch will cause a break on a layer of the laminated pouch. These pouches are made to withstand 1,000 flexes, but repetitive freezing does increase the failure rate by a small fraction of a percent. Also if MRE food is frozen, then thawed out, it must be used the same as if you had thawed commercial food from your own freezer at home.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I spent 2 weeks in 1998 living off them during the Ice storm we had up in Maine. I liked them and would lke to get more. YUMMY!!!
I remember that ice storm. I grew up outside of Bangor. We had no power for five days.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
I remember that ice storm. I grew up outside of Bangor. We had no power for five days.
I was with York County Emergency Management I spent so much time on the road, and in shelters it wasn't funny About the only thing that I liked was the MRE's and the homecooked meals from place to place

·
Registered
792 Posts
We still got some of those types of dinners that you put water in and ad the food pouch and it cooks on it's on.it was on May 11, 2008
here in macon ga,about 5:45 in the morning still dark when it finally happend,not 1 but we got hit with 10 tornadoes.we were without
powers for about a week which that's not bad but sucked.but dont know if the dinners are any good not.

Mother's Day Tornado Damage in Macon, GA

heres my neighborhood that morning i found on youtube with these guys just filming.on1:20 they
are on my road but goin away from my house 8 away because of down line and trees.we were blocked
in both ways but my last 2 comments on theretweed18787 exlpain lol.

this is a little more.

ps,thanks red cross for the food god bless.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I think I'm showing my age but I recall MREs being fielded to replace C-Rats. At the time the C-Rats were better except the Ham and Lima Beans, that was for culinary masochists. We used to say MRE stands for Meal Rejected by Ethiopians. Most of the early meals were bad or worse. The only half way good one was the Spaghetti and meat balls. The Tabasco bottle and other tweaks came long after I was put out.

I've tried some of the MREs that are for civilian sale and most are OK.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
do you guys think that MRE's are worth the cost,or is it better to just stock up and rotate canned goods?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
U.S.M.C Desert shield / Desert storm , M.R.E 3 times a day everyday for 7 months, you'd be surprised how soon you eat everything on the menu, refused the chicken ala king no matter what. i still eat them hunt and campin ,last forever if kept in a control enviroment and i just plain like them.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
do you guys think that MRE's are worth the cost,or is it better to just stock up and rotate canned goods?
It's best to have a range of multiple choices, canned goods are great if you are planning on hunkering down at home, but if an emergency puts you on foot or in a vehicle with limited storage space the MREs are more practical to take along. I would always have at least a case or two of MRE's put back if you can afford them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts