MRE's

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by adam11082, Apr 8, 2008.

1. I am looking for some MRE's for my GHB. I called my local army navy store and they are $7ea :shock: Is this a normal price? I wanted to get a bunch of them (6-8) just in case the kids were in the car with me.

Thanks
    Adam

2. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

In my experience, that's a reasonable price. Personally, I think that MRE's are a waste of money since you can put together meals that are lighter and cheaper from noodle packs, tuna in a pouch, and single serving drink mix sleeves. However, they are easy, self contained, and bulletproof so I am by no means knocking them. You may be able to save some cash by hitting a gun show or surfing the web a bit. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone on the forum has a good hookup!

cheers,
    Kyu

EDIT: Got looking a bit. Check out:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MRE125-1299-639.html

Just not sure what shipping will be.

3. Eh thats about right if there fresh. You can buy them online off ebay, but you gotta pay shipping.

4. Fenix

Fenix Guest

Make 'em yourself, you'll save some cash and know exactly what you are getting. It's what I do.

5. Adam I have a box I might be interested in selling if shipping doesn't kill the deal. Where are you located?

6. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

I would make them myself, plenty of low cost quality goods you can combine in a pouch to make a well balanced meal.

7. blkhwkfxr

blkhwkfxr Guest

Keep in mind when making your own "MRE's" you may want to pack a vitamin suppliment. True Meal Ready to Eat's are fortified with extra vitanims and minerals.I would suggest not eating more than two of these per day since they are also packed with extra calories for sustained vigorous activities.
    One other tip for those who may not be familair with the MRE, drink plenty of water when you're enjoying your meal, otherwise you may be facing a week of bowel obstrution followed by a painfull explosive release... LOL.

8. Buying MRE's from "surplus" stores, flea markets and via unknown sellers online may result in poor quality meals that have either long expired or the shelf life has been reduced by improper storage. A brand new 5yr marked MRE can have its shelf life reduced to just a few months if it is stored in temps exceeding 100F for any length of time. Surplus MRE's have not been available to the civilian market since the Clintons were in the oval office, so the real surplus MRE's being sold now are either outdated or come from questionable sources and stored in who knows what type of environment. Clinton passed a law, 96-98 time frame, that government surplus MRE's would be shipped to third world nations as part of the UN feed the hungry program. Most of the current date "surplus" MRE's you see now have came back into the country via these third world nations, I bet they didnt store them in a temp controlled warehouse for the 1-3yrs they had them prior to selling them off to some inport/export company either.

If you are going to spend the money on MRE's for you and your family then purchase NEW MRE's from a reputable seller. This way you get the freshest meals with a real shelf life as marked on the container. MRE's sent to aid the Katrina fiasco would be of questionable quality now due to the 95-100F temps of the Gulf Coast. I would hate to be hungry in a survival situation and open my MRE only to get food poisoning, something to think about when you are looking at survival rations.

9. Ditto to make your own. Probably taste better too lol.

10. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

remember: MRE = Meals Rejected by Ethiopians

11. Alright, you have convinced me to make my own. What would be included in a DIY?

12. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

Really you can put anything you like together. What works well it take a walk through the grocery store and see what catches your eye/seems appropriate. There are so many great, self stable products (meats, cheeses, etc) that, if you are creative, you can come up with almost any menu you would like.

My basic (lightweight) food kit is something like this:

- pouch of tuna in water (costs about $1 you can also find chicken and salmon)
    - package of cheese crackers
    - "lunch pack" of fruit (apple sauce, mandrin oranges, fruit cocktail, etc.)
    - container of dried fruit
    - package of chocolate (m&m's are great because the candy coating keeps the chocolate together even if they get hot)
    - sleeve of instant drink mix as well as instant coffee
    - spork
    - salt & pepper packs

That's a general idea. You can find great single serving bowls of things (mac 'n cheese, spagetti, etc.) at the store as well that can be eaten hot or cold. Personally, I avoid them but only because of weight. They are fine if you don't mind adding a few extra ounces to your pack. All of the above packs nicely into a ziplock bag, does not require any special tools to open, and can be eaten without heating (just an aside, I have had success heading up the tuna using a hand warmer). Shelf life is about a year if stored properly (not in a 100 degree car). I also have a couple made up with shelf stable packs of bacon. So variety is possible!

cheers,
    Kyu

13. Adam, I had 22 cases of them once upon a time. I traded 18 cases of them for my Savage Model 110, 7mm Remington Magnum and $100.00 cash... Not a bad deal. Right now, I only have 2 cases left and that's my hunting/camping Emergency rations.

Personally, *I might get crucified for this* but I actually LIKE most MRE entrees, except the veggie meals. Heh, to each their own.

14. I don't mind them, but they aren't better than canned goods lol

15. 69burbon

69burbon Well-Known Member

I recently bought some "MRE" type meals with a group of friends from a company called Emergency Essentials. http://beprepared.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1207799626

It worked out to $2.50 per meal. They don't have all the bells and whistles that the military ones do but they are NEW.

I also make my own just to suit my taste. It is not a bad idea to mix and match for your needs. I would suggest that if you want to keep emergency rations in a vehicle then go with something like the ration bars designed for Coast Guard use. They hold up good to higher temps. Go with complete traditional type meals for home emergency kits.

The Ramen cup soups are great because they only require water.

16. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

YEP, but only if you fill it with water and set it out in the sunlight at least an hour (with black tape around the cup) before you try to eat them.

17. Sweet "tacticool" ramen soup cups

18. When my band was on tour we set 'em in the texas sun for a half hour and they worked out fine :).

19. Food is food. I liked the C rats, and when the MRE's first came out I liked them too.

When you have went through stages in your life where food was scarce, your belly isnt too picky on what it tasts like, just that you got something to eat.