Mudrock's FOLDING 9 CARBINE

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by mudrock, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Starting a separate thread about my New Folding 9 Carbine, Thanks to CICPUP for showing me his. I will enclose process pictures in Volume II
    I bought a new stock kit to try this with just in case - I didn't want to end up with half a rifle. I cut the new style stock right behind the 2 through bolts where Id have the flattest mounting point for my CZECH VZ-58 Folding stock. Doing the cut on a chop saw gave an excellent uniform straight, right angle cut. The biggest challenge of the job is to anchor the all steel folder tight & rigid to the flexible Tupper-Ware Stock material. I could not use the screw that comes with the stock, so found a long bolt I could bend into a hooked configuration, that would grab one of the steel rods I placed cross wise into existing holes in the stock. The end of the hook is cast into the JB weld Epoxy in the stock cavities. I drilled holes between the cavity walls to allow the JB weld to keep its position permanently- because it wouldn't usually stick to Tupper Ware. The anchor screw NUT needed to be countersunk, so I modified an upside down nut with a cast integral washer (lots of filing). See photos of stock mods & the finished carbine. It is 24" long, sleeker that the original, very strong & fits me well. Had to replace the wavy front rail with an aluminum one, it is great, & holds my powerful green Laser. rear peep sight is from Leepers. I'm very pleased with the results.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Good job. The VZ-58 stock is a perfect fit isn't it?

And you spelled my name wrong.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah, you need to change Sickpups name there....;)

4. dxr

dxr Member

that looks freaking slick. i'd love to see step by step photos of how this was done

5. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

That is neat! Thanks for sharing it with us!

6. Mudrocks 9 Folder VOLUME II - "How To"

Here are the internal pictures of how I anchored the stock bolt. This is pretty important as rigidity & strength are required. So far this is holding strong & feels rigid as the original stock before cutting. Photos are pretty self explanatory. I might ad that I have drawn in felt pen the outline of the end of the anchor bolt where it is cast into the JB Weld (hard original - 6 hour setting time).The compartments of JB Weld are all joined by holes drilled between the stock webbing. This will keep them in place as parts of the stock - because not much will stick to Tupper Ware plastic. My thinking in using the cross pieces of steel rod, was suggested by the holes being there & the need for maximum rigidity of the mounting plat form. The lower rod was in a perfect place to hook the mounting bolt.
    If you look carefully at the photos of the finished carbine, there is a steel locating plate between the plastic stock & the folding portion, it acts as a washer with bent tabs on both sides to completely eliminate ANY movement of the folding portion.

Attached Files:

7. Wow, that's awesome. Completely changes the look. Big ups for custom one off stuff.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Like you really care, "dic-pup" :rofl:

Which WORKS, cuz your real name is Redacted ;)

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Wanna post my last name and address while you're at it?

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Don't push him he will. The FT.

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    I'm assuming "Redacted" cuz everyone calls you Redact-Pup

Or was that cuz they thought you had hemorrhoids :eek:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  12. undeRGRound

INDY
    Nice Work, MUD! :)

13. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Like the charging handle - is that from Longshot? Like the size of it. I sent Longshot a pm asking if they could make me a purple one, but never heard back.

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-anodized-color-coat/

Mole never said if he anodized his LS Subbie rails

15. Hi Tracy, I bought the charging handle on Ebay, from 'DOWNRANGE 2" @ $13.
    I regret not getting it in black, but can try some aluminum blue on it. also recommend getting the Allen Head Bolt with it @ $10. the old hex head is a pain. You could ask downrange about purple - it should be possible.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
  17. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

This mod always makes the HP look like some mean euro liberal bed wetters nightmare machine gun and that's awesome.

18. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

I checked our messages and your pm never came thru. The forum owners fouled up our sponsor account for a few weeks and that may be the reason why we didn't get your pm message. However, no,we don't make them in purple. Anodizing of colors requires us to produce large lot sizes for our anodizer. They have a $100.00 min lot charge, so we would need to have at least 100 handles done in that color to make it practical. I don't think we could sell too many in purple. Sorry.
    j.

19. Look around for local anodizing. I was fortunate enough to find a place within 30 miles of me that has a $50 minimum lot charge and if I need something small done and they happen to be running that color for another customer, they'll charge me a few bucks to run it with them. With that said it took months of phone calls and searching and emails to find these guys.

Also, there's a lot of info out there about DIY at home anodizing. I haven't been brave enough to try it, but many others have with varying degrees of success.

20. undeRGRound

INDY
    I got a buddy I work with sometimes, fellow sparky, and he redid my
    aluminum level in 3 colors :D Actually 2 plus bare or "silver", not sure
    what he did there... But he does anodizing at home. Not an effective
    scale for Longshot, I am sure :eek: It's a tabletop scale...