Multi or single rifle bags? I'm slowly switching.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by desertrider, Mar 1, 2016.

1. desertrider

desertrider Member

For years I was old school and had individual bags for each rifle that went to the range. For the last four years or so I've slowly been transitioning to two-rifle bags with pouches.

I have a 36", 42", and a 48". Now I'm seriously considering this unit from Walmart.... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Explorer-R52-BK-52-inch-Up-to-3-Rifle-Carrier-Black/36720522

At eighty bucks +tax delivered, that's a heck of a deal for something 52" long and able to carry three rifles, I'll be able to haul along my Mosins and Mauser.

I know the drawbacks are heavy bags when fully loaded, but it's so much more streamlined to only need three or four individual multi-gun bags than loading seven or more single bags in the truck and then sorting them out.

And yeah, I'm one of those guys who usually takes several guns at a time to the range.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

As opposed to carrying two or three single-rifle bags? No net weight change. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Different weight per "load" though, unless you grab all three single bag at once.

The multiple gun bags make total sense for someone that brings multiple guns to the range. For everyone else, they are senseless.

My issue is, my gun bag limit is $10, maybe more for a VERY nice specific model bag, or for a more tactical style unit for the AR, S12, or AK; and mags.

When they make a 3 gun bag for $30, I might be interested.:p

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's what I do.

$10? You must be as cheap as I am. $10 buys you the raw material to sew your own (mostly) or super-cheap gun "socks" without the shoulder strap (I have, and use, both of course ;)). That said, there's something to having shoulder straps.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

(Kirk walks into his local range, dumps 12 guns out of a spongebob squarepants sleeping bag)....

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That is a fantastic idea! Except a Marvin the Martial sleeping bag would be more my speed.

It's brilliant. An old, worn out, sleeping bag, otherwise destined for the trash would make dandy material for a bag. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

You're welcome.....

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Why, yes. Yes I am.:)

When some place puts them on sale, I buy a few. Got some nice Flambeau models for $10 + free shipping a while back.

Got a couple as throw-ins by the LGS when I bought a gun or two as well.

I might go $20-25 for a model specific nice one, like the Ruger 10/22 items, or the "many mag pocket" AR type bag.;)

9. cruiser

cruiser Member

Thanks for sharing. I like that. Looks like it would be a good purchase.

10. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

My dad literally put a sock on his gun. Before I got him a gun rack for Christmas one year, he always kept Hus shotguns standing up in a corner of the bedroom, and would put one if his old socks over the barrels to keep the dust out!

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I Use single rifle/shotgun cases with shoulder straps. Lets me pick and chose what to take without getting to heavy.

12. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I've got single cases for all of my rifles. I'm thinking about switching to two rifle hard cases for them, since they have scopes and I'm shooting so much more often now. In and out of the truck 3-4 days a week.