Munio self defense tool

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Apr 14, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Saw this thing at the safety expo we went to over the weekend.

http://www.munioselfdefense.com/

It's like a plastic baton/knife thing.

Supposedly the guy who invented it is a self defense instructor

They got for $12.50 with tons of designs (prints) to choose from.

Or, for $25 you can take a one hour class that includes a Munio to keep.

Curious what you guys think? Kirk, ever heard of this thing or this guy?

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

It looks pretty cool. For 12.50, you can't really go wrong. My wife already has a bunch of crap on her keys. At least this would be something that could save her life.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Don't bet on that.
    These gadgets don't work by themselves.
    You need to get up and personal and you need to know how to use them.
    About 25 years ago I learned a trick where you can disarm a bad guy with a knife.....with a ball point pen.
    This was all fine and dandy practicing with a rubber knife.
    Now? I'd go for the gun or run.....

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

While in the hands of someone with decent self defense training, this would probably add to the chance of survival. To your average person i think its just handheld false confidence that could increase your chance of being injured or killed. A one hour course will be forgetten, in about an hour. Up close and personal defense is something that requires alot more than a pretty plastic knob, and the promise of protection from a safety expo infomercial.

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I've bought similarly-conceptualized devices for my wife, who is just over five feet tall and only about 100 pounds. I tell her that the whole idea of those devices is to allow her to prevent some dirtbag from getting a hold of her so that she can escape. Unfortunately, when bad guys grab women, they are already up close and personal. That is when she needs something that will cause him to lose his grip, allowing her a chance to get away.

That is where I think that these devices work the best.

Edit: She doesn't have the option of carrying a gun because she works in a place where she can't bring in weapons--not even a knife. She just needs something to keep some distance until security can respond.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's basically a Kobutan (aka "yawara," "kopo," or "palm stick") only flat and made out of plastic instead of metal.

These days, everyone who wears white pajamas is a "Self Defense Instructor," or "instructor to Military/Police/whatever." Every martial art teaches "self defense" techniqeus so everyone who teaches martial arts has taught "self defense" and is, therefore, a "Self Defense Instructor." Feh. And if you've ever had a cop or an active duty in your class, now you've "taught" cops/military/etc/ Feh. I do both all the time. It ain't nuth'n special. I've never heard of the dude before now but I'll tell you that "Combat Hapkido," developed by a dude named Pellegrini by (ahem) "blending" ground-figting grappling arts (like Judo and BJJ) with more traditional Hapkido (joint locking and punch/kick), doesn't really get a whole lot of special respect from me. He's just another joe who became a "grand master" by "inventing" his own "martial art." The hedges are thick with them. (P.S., "licensed?" Pft. Who "licenses" instructors? No one official from the government, that's who. Probably has a "teaching 'license'" from Hapkido, at a guess. It's B.S.)

He may be an OK self defense instructor (or not, I don't know) but what you're reading here is pure marketoid crap designed to sound way more impressive than it actually is.

Unless you got a "how to use" DVD with it, you got ripped off. If you got a DVD to go along with it then you didn't get ripped off but you didn't get a great deal either.

Feh. Save your money. How to use the Yawara Stick by Frank Matsuyama.

http://www.donrearic.com/yawara.html

I think he's doing a great job at marketing his skills and his products to a perceived need. He's a great American entrepreneur. So was P.T. Barnum.

The keychain attachment has been around since keychains. If you like yours and think it's got style, then sure, you got what you wanted and that's pretty cool. If you don't want to sink $13 into one, go find a broken broomstick handle (they're made of Ash, a light but strong hardwood), cut one to between 5-6", make the ends as pointy or blunt as you want, make a couple of grooves circling it, drill a hole in one end, sand it good, "finish" or stain it if you want (or not), and run a large split-ring through the hole. Once you have one you like, make a bunch of copies (from the broken broomhandle) and sell them online for [email protected] (+ S&H) and recoup your money. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  7. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Thanks, Kirk, that's pretty much what I figured.

I reckon for every 10 "self defense" instructors, there's maybe one who actually has something special to add.

I talked to his wife at the expo. Supposedly, the point of hits gadget was to be ale to get through security and such without having it taken. Compared it to the Kubotan and said that security, TSA, etc...woudl frown upon it, where as this thing probably wouldn't raise any flags, yet be just as effective. Plus, since this has a point on it, but it's not a knife, it has that bonus.

They almost sucked me in. I mean, there is enough about it that almost makes me say, yeah, that's a good idea. But then there's part of me that says I could just do that with a key too.

In fact, my uncle, who's only "self defense" expertise is from what I believe is probably one too many bar fights, has taught me a few tips that are just as effective, and more practical. Like holding your key ring in a way that you could use a key for defense. Or how to hold a beer bottle in a way in case you need to use it.

Thankfully, I have never needed to employ either of these, but some common sense things like that and a good dose of situational awareness will help a lot, and save $12.50 too LOL

There have been a few times I have grabbed my keys and held them in a certain manner, or switched my hold on my bottle (when I drank), but never needed to actually use them.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Take the same 6" broken broomstick length and whittle a nekkid woman into it, or a Vigin Marry if you prefer, or just WWJD etters on it if you can't whittle, and your there.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

9. Ohhh come on, don't rain on the guys parade, he is just a good capitalist. Personally I think carrying a doberman pincher is the way to go. And yes you can dangle your keys from one.

One of these would work good too, but might be illegal.

[​IMG]

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    What's illegal about a paperweight? There's nothing wrong with having something handy to keep papers from flying around if it's windy.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I agree.

To small to be an actual set of "metal knuckles" but some cops might not care. It's still illegal in most states, ohio being one.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

Those would work great if youve got the hands of a 6 year old girl.

13. For a self defense tool (other than a firearm) stick to pepper spray: Affordable, easy to carry, effective, requires minimal training.
    Anything that is "martial arts" related needs to be backed up with YEARS of training and constant retraining. After 20+ years of training myself I would estimate that most people would not be capable of defending themselves with a "keychain weapon" like that with less than 5 years of regular (2-3 times a week) training. And real training, training that hurts is exhausting. Training hat causes injuries to both the trainer and the trainee. Training that leads to callouses and scars. Training to the point where your body reacts before you mind is even engaged.

The reason the firearm is the modern weapon of choice? It requires less training to be lethally effective than just about anything else out there. But barring a firearm, pepper spray is a pretty good (though not 100%) option, it is what I got for my wife to keep on her keychain.

14. It would depend on the laws, I believe, have to check, that concealed carry of brass knuckles is illegal in NC. But here most anything can be open carried.

But we also have a common law called going armed to the terror of the people. ALL of the standards below have to be met to be charged with it.

Statute

This is a common law offense. State v. Dawson, 272 N.C. 535, 541-42 (1968); State v. Huntly, 25 N.C. 418, 418 (1843); State v. Staten, 32 N.C. App. 495, 496-97 (1977) (citing Dawson).

Elements

A person guilty of this offense

(1) arms himself or herself with an unusual and dangerous weapon

(2) for the purpose of terrifying others and

(3) goes about on public highways

(4) in a manner to cause terror to the people.

Punishment

Class 1 misdemeanor. G.S. 14-3(a).

15. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

The first time I used pepper spray (2.5 MILLION SHU's), the instructor said, "Point it thataways and press the button!"

As I followed his direction, the wind shifted and I basted both of us in the face. Quite liberally.

Fortunately, there was a roll of brown paper towels nearby and we only suffered for the rest of the day.

eldar

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I disagree about how much training is required.

The problem is that Kubotan are less effective than most people realize for incapacitation but also don't require as much training as some people believe in order to be used as a get away/get off me tool. You don't have to learn to fight with them. You're not trying to fight, you're trying to escape. That dramatically reduces the number of techniques and strategies required to learn.

Knives are WAY better.

I usually carry a hardwood cane, particularly when I can't carry a gun. I always carry multiple knives.

Canes are great, particularly for guys (because we can get away with carrying them more easily without being infirm). And, even without training, every doofus knows how to do the "cave man" (which is powerful, easy to do, and hard to stop without sacrificing an arm if you haven't trained for it).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

This is where a Bellatrix Snap can come in handy. It allows the weapon (cane/rattan sword) to roll off one's wrist and strike multiple times.

I know that You believe that SCA style fighting to be 'worthless' but, I feel that You are wrong in this regard.

Anything that can dent 16 gauge steel can't be all wrong.

eldar

18. It is legal in almost every state I know of to carry chopsticks, they are a very good poking tool. To the eyes, and the attack is over. Good quality alloy pen also, but not as long.

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Oh, I don't think it's "worthless." It's just not historic fighting. It's a Fight Sport.

I have friends who have used their Heavy Combat rattan waster as a self defense tool, similar to a cane, to "explain" to someone intent on assaulting them that they, in the words of a certain knight, "chose poorly." :)

My only complaint with Heavy Combat is with those who think or promote that it replicates the way "real knights" fought with "real weapons." Few things could be further from the truth. Other than that, SCA Heavy Combat has a lot going for it and I have friends who do both SCA and historically accurate combat training.

SCA Heavy Combat is to Medieval Combat as Kyokushin Shiai is to Bar Fighting.

And, yes, if the person assaulting you thought to wear 16 Ga. steel bracers, your "Cave Man" full power angle 1 strike is going to probably fail. OTOH, if the guy randomly assaulting you is wearing steel bracers, you might have other pressing issues. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. talon

talon the banned wagon

And carry some broccoli and soy sauce too. After you defend yourself you can have a quick snack.