Music forum still going

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by masfonos, Dec 5, 2007.

1. masfonos

masfonos Member

Ohio
    Hey all,

I posted this on the old forum (and there's a link in my sig line), but I just wanted to post a reminder about That One Song. That One Song is mainly a music forum for discussing music, song lyrics, artists and other music related stuff. There are areas for discussing music by genre, by time period, by artist as well as areas to talk about making your own music, promote your band and lots of other stuff. There are contests in which you can win free stuff just for being a member (iTunes/Amazon gift cards and other music type stuff. In addition to all of that, there is also a general discussion area to talk to like-minded people about stuff not necessarily music related.

I recruited most of the members from gun boards that I go to as well as a few various other places, so you're sure to find people that you like on there.

If you're particularly interested in a certain genre, era, or other aspect of music, we're also looking for mods. Check the appropriate thread over there for details.

That One Song
    http://thatonesong.20.forumer.com

2. LMAO!!!!!!!!

I am an Admin here, and a Moderator over on the Urban Warrior forum... It's kinda hard to find the time. That and I just auditioned for a band tonight... I should find out tomorrow if I made it.

3. masfonos

masfonos Member

Ohio
    Killer....what kind of band and what do you do in it? Good luck!

4. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Barbershop Quartet :lol: :lol:

5. Fenix

Fenix Guest

I could see it. :lol:

6. Both of you guys can sod off too!!!

I joined a "everything" band. Basically, it's sponsored by the Base Chapel to play for Sunday morning services, but it's definately geared to the more secular/contemporary musical taste. The chaplain here on base is tired of the fact that 99% of the Airmen don't attend church because it's too boring, old hymns and stuff like that. Nothing wrong with that, this is not a religious topic and I don't want it to become one. Basically, what it boils down to is modernizing the music for chapel services and also do special events like Airman's gatherings and stuff. For church, we'd play church music, for the other events, it's all by request so R&B, Rock, Alternative, Classic Rock, Country etc... the sky is the limit at this point. The cool thing is that the Chaplain has basically given the band members/leaders a full license and budget to totally modernize the sound system for the chapel and will pay for ALL new instrument purchases, no questions asked. I guess the chaplain is getting heat from higher up to spend his budget and get attendance numbers up, and we are going to benifit from it. I guess it all comes down to the fact that even though we can get whatever we want for instruments etc, all of it is going to directly benifit the Airman of Holloman Air Force Base. This will give religious direction, to those that want it, AND a place where they can come and just hang out listening to some kick butt contemporary Christian music.

Honestly, I am more for the experience that I'll get on stage. Yes, I am a Christian, and hold those religious values but it's not all about that. I have neglected my musical talent for too long, and it's time I got back into a REAL band and practiced like I should. I play acoustic and electric guitar, bass/double "acoustic" bass *the one that looks like a HUGE stand up cello*, saxaphone, drums, mandolin, banjo, and a few others that would bore you.... Anywho, music is a HUGE part of my life. One of my goals in my life and career in the USAF is to go on tour as the guitarist for Tops in Blue, a USAF sponsored touring group that provides entertainment for ALL servicemembers at home station AND overseas. That would just be the cat's PJ's to me.

What you do for Tops In Blue is practice for 6 months and then tour for a year.... Where's the problem with that?

http://www.topsinblue.com/

7. Fenix

Fenix Guest

Sounds interesting. not much of a churchgoer myself (I'm Deist, we don't exactly have churches) but have nothing against organized religion (all the more power to ya). Also, what kind of sax you play? used to play alto myself but wasn't able to bring it with me when I moved.

P.S. the barbershop quartet comment wasn't an insult, I happen to like 'em. Still though..... *snicker :lol:

And I thought christianity was against sodomy? :?

8. The chuch doesn't care what Deists do in their time off, so you're good on that, just keep it to yourself and I don't care. :wink:

Saxaphone, I play Alto and Soprano mostly. Used to tinker with a Tenor sax, but didn't like it, too big. I haven't played sax in over 10 years though, so this is going to be a learning experience all over again just getting back into the groove.

9. masfonos

masfonos Member

Ohio
    Well heck, your whole band should join up! :D

10. masfonos

masfonos Member

Ohio
    Our next contest is up. Win a $10 Amazon.com gift card just for joining and bringing your friends. Check the announcements or contest forums.

Happy Holidays.

11. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    PrimalSeal: The band thing sounds cool!

I play the drums at our church sometimes...the music is very contemporary even a little edgy to some people sometimes.

The old hymns are great, but what churches have to realize is that those "old" hymns were written to music that was relevant to the time. Why should it be any different now?

12. man I love some of those old hymns.....Blessed assurance, Beulah Land, Unclouded day etc etc

13. Primal...in a church band....have they met you man? Obviously if they did you didn't say anything

14. masfonos

masfonos Member

Ohio

heh, that'd go over like a fart in....well, you know. :twisted: