Musicians - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Kyu, May 7, 2008.

1. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

I know there are other musicians on here so I am hoping someone has experience with this. I have an acoustic/electric bass that I needed to adjust the saddle on (due to new strings). I ground a new saddle (have done this many times for acoustic guitars but never acoustic/electric instruments) and now the under bridge pickup will not work! I made dang sure that the bottom of the new saddle was perfectly flat and that I hadn't broken any wiring during the process. I also but a new 9V battery in. It still won't work! If any one has any suggestions please share! I got a gig next week!!!

cheers,
    Kyu

2. Check the wiring on your knobs. If it's a Line 6, check the switches/eq's as well.

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

You ground the saddle...
    ground as in 'wire to the ground' or 'Made an indention with a grinder'?
    This is why I never modded my Dean Edge Pro out,
    You didn't smell anything burning did you? If not, Check to make sure that the jack is in good condition, as it is my first instinct. But as mentioned by 4095 check your controls to make sure they aren't missing anything important... like WIRES. :lol:

4. reluctanthawk

reluctanthawk Member

Iowa
    make sure that the pocket for your bridge has a flat bottom too. You may not have complete contact across the entire length.

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Oh, For some reason I thought he only replaced a saddle, not the entire bridge...

6. reluctanthawk

reluctanthawk Member

Iowa
    Ive seen shops compensate by shimming the saddle with tooth picks. The idea is to be perfectly sure there is solid contact across the whole ribbon of the pickup. If the contact is compromised, no signal. I'm not saying the toothpick stuff is correct procedure. Just that some shops do it. The tech that I worked next to for 13 years is a bit more anal than that.

7. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I finally got it figured out. I gotta thank Hawk for the hint. The problem was not with the new saddle but with the new (heavier) strings that I put on. They were compressing the pickup ribbon too much and, thus, no sound! A bit of softer plastic between the saddle and pick and problem solved. Thanks for all the input guys, it's one of the things that makes this board so good!