Muzzle Brake for Ruger American 30-06

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by planosteve, Apr 12, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

The muzzle brake I ordered from Witt Machine came in on Friday and I installed it this afternoon. Quality it excellent, in fact it is very good looking. I had the cerakote finish is very smooth and even.

Installation was a breeze and the only difficulty was keeping the brake aligned during installation. The provided instructions were more than adequate to the task. You do need some blue loctite as per the instructions and you do not want to over torque the bolts.

Here are some pictures and I will post the results of recoil reduction as soon as I can get to the range. If it works it will be well worth the C-note it cost.

Attached Files:

2. Fracman

Fracman Member

How loud is it hope the recoil reduction is worth the amount of noise you will hear. Make sure that nobody is standing next to you. Wear them ear muff or plugs. Do not shoot it out of your pickup window

3. planosteve

I will be wearing both muffs and plugs. I hope to go Tuesday as I am off and the range will not be crowded. They will put me off by myself if they are not busy.

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Witt brakes are good.. I used one on the Mosin Nagant 91/30 project I did to make a long distance shooter. Great recoil reduction, but as you know... you'll increase the muzzle noise. :) I thread my barrels though, never trusted clamp on brakes for large caliber rifles. I've seen some get launched down range. :eek:

5. planosteve

Will let you all know how it goes. If it is not raining too hard tomorrow I will test it.

6. planosteve

I took the 30-06 American out to the range today and tested the muzzle brake I picked up from Witt Machine. In a nut shell, OMG, it is like shooting a 223 now. Very little muzzle rise and felt recoil is very light. I could keep the scope on target during the shot. That is cool.

Noise is not a problem if you are shooting or directly behind the shooter. Anywhere else it is very loud.

Overall I give it a 10 out of 10. :splits::chicken::hyper:

7. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Got the same brake on my savage axis .308 and really like it. Felt recoil feels like a 5.56 But the muzzle blast and noise really pisses off others on either side of me at the range

Muzzle blast is strong enough to blow water bottles and other items off the bench rest

8. planosteve

I had them put me away from everyone else, but people migrated over to see who was shooting the howitzer. Apparently the flames shooting out the top and sides were very impressive.

9. USMC_VET

Mine was not shooting flames as I was only using american eagle 150 grain bt ammo . The muzzle blast was enough to clear both sides of me of shooters . They kept complaining to the RSO about me distracting them while they were trying to shoot

10. planosteve

That is why I was at the far end away from everyone. There were about 10 bays open on either side of me. One side was for CC classes only so it was empty.

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  12. USMC_VET

here's my Savage axis .308 with a Witt Machine brake

[​IMG]

13. engineer40

engineer40 Member

Witt brakes work well. I had 2 of them when I first started my fascination with "tweaking" my firearms.

However, they tell you on their website their brakes should not scratch your barrel if you ever want to take them off. This is true. What they do not mention is that if you ever take them off, that blue Loctite they instruct you to use will be baked into the barrel and will NEVER come off...

Well I guess it will. I got some of it to come off eventually with a scotchbright pad and a heat gun. But it took all of the blueing with it because I had to scrub it so hard. (Yes on both rifles).

I'm not overly bitter about it. On the bright side it gives me a reason to do something custom with the finish on both rifles. :)

I've since learned how to thread my barrels myself at home. Works out way better in the long run. Thank you YouTube!

14. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Methylene Chloride will dissolve Loctite. ;)
    You can get paint strippers with it at Home Depot.

15. engineer40

engineer40 Member

Does Methylene Chloride have a common name? I am sincerely interested as I use Loctite in many applications.

I tried soap and water first, then Lacquer Thinner, MEK, brake cleaner, and some stuff called Blaster I had in the garage. Nothing budged it until I used the scotchbright pad and heat gun.

It really just appeared that the Loctite was baked into the metal pores of both rifles. Thanks.

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

What's the lesson that you learned? Ask us first lol ;)