Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ordered and received a Pinty Red/Green Dot Reflex optic from Amazon.
Ordered a bullpup stock (black) from High Tower Arms...to be delivered 6 Aug 2020.

Still looking for Backup Iron Sight System (BUIS). Prefer something that will co-witness with the Pinty optic. I'm thinking some sort of flip-up system; but I would welcome suggestions from forum members who have experience with the HTA stock.

Ordered a Lyman digital trigger pull scale. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm not sure if a previous owner of the rifle has screwed with the sear spring, or not. I want to test the trigger pull before installing the rifle into the HTA stock. If the pull is noticeably less than stock specs, I will ask customer service for a stock sear spring before going hot at the range.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
If you have an AR15 height Pinty any AR15 sight will work.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
IMG_20200804_203132.jpg
IMG_20200804_203118.jpg
IMG_20200804_203102.jpg

Reactions: napp

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New trigger pull gauge came today. Measured the trigger pull ten times. The average pull weight for the ten measurements was
7 lbs 0.1 oz. (Lowest pull was in the sixes...highest was eight something....I didn't write them down, since the Lyman gauge will do the averages with no need for pencil and paper.)

Anyway, how would you more experienced owners interpret these readings? The seller of lighter sear springs makes claims of trigger weights in the low fives. With my readings, can I safely assume (don't bother, I know) that the previous owner didn't futz around with the sear spring?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
probably no futzing. smooth and or polish metal parts, forget that spring exsist.
I don't plan on doing anything to lighten the trigger. After spending much of my life in the Army and shooting many weapons with garbage triggers, I'm not as hung up on trigger pull as some people are.

My HTA stock is about an hour away from delivery on the big brown truck. I will measure the trigger pull weight after installation; but that will just be to satisfy my curiosity about how the bullpup stock affects trigger pull compared to the stock HP stock.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
I don't plan on doing anything to lighten the trigger. After spending much of my life in the Army and shooting many weapons with garbage triggers, I'm not as hung up on trigger pull as some people are.

My HTA stock is about an hour away from delivery on the big brown truck. I will measure the trigger pull weight after installation; but that will just be to satisfy my curiosity about how the bullpup stock affects trigger pull compared to the stock HP stock.
Zach Lee.. learn to shoot with the triggers from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the gun mounted in the HTA stock now. Measured the new trigger pull with everything installed....average pull weight for ten pulls is 9 lbs 11.9 oz. (increase of 2 lbs 11.8 oz over readings with original stock) I can feel the weight difference; but more importantly, the trigger is less smooth than the original stock. It's hard to describe, but the words clunky, scratchy, and rough come to mind. I suppose this is to be expected because the new setup just transfers the trigger motion to the original trigger through an additional linkage in the new stock. It's not a show stopper; but it is noticeable. Hopefully, it will smooth itself out some with use.

20200807_140427.jpg

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
The HTA stock used to come with an adjustable trigger didn’t it?
2 lbs is quite an increase.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The HTA stock used to come with an adjustable trigger didn't it?
2 lbs is quite an increase.
Not sure about adjustable trigger. I didn't see anything about that during my research prior to purchase; not did any of the literature that came with the stock mention it.

I was surprised that the HTA system added 2 3/4 lbs to the trigger pull. As I said earlier, it might get better as things wear in with use.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Andy said too many problems with customers screwing up the adjustable triggers. So they got discontinued.

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
About all you can do is smooth and polish things that rub...NOT to include the sear engagement faces.

There’s a reason for bull pups being known to have ugly triggers. But if the trade off is worth it...it’s all good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still haven't gone to the range. I decided to wait until the flip-up sights I ordered get here. The outdoor range is about 20 miles from me; and I only have 250 rds of 10mm ammo. Rather than make two trips and expend ammo uselessly, I decided to wait until I have everything completed. This way, I can zero the rifle and get the iron sights and reflex optic to co-witness with only one trip.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got to the range yesterday. I didn't fire enough rounds to justify making a post in the review section; so I will mention some of my initial observations here.

Accuracy: Wonder of wonders. The flip-up sights were dead on target...right out of the box. I was shooting at 25 yards; and didn't have to make any adjustment to the sights. OTOH, the reflex sight did need some significant adjustment in order to co-witness. After these adjustment were complete, the rifle just continued to put round after round in center of target.

Trigger pull with HTA stock: The trigger is still a little funky; but it feels better as you get used to it. The safety bar on the front surface of the trigger is pinned (hinged) at the bottom of the trigger. It only takes a few rounds to realize that the trigger prefers a higher placement of the finger during firing. Once I started forcing myself to place my finger on the upper half of the trigger, everything started smoothing out immediately.

Overall functioning: During actual firing, the rifle operated flawlessly. However, reloading a second magazine was a totally different matter. The bolt locks back on an empty magazine just as it is supposed to do. But......when that empty magazine is removed and a new fully loaded magazine is inserted, the bolt is frozen open....no amount of tugging on the charging handle will make it move forward to chamber a round. Removing the magazine and trying to close the bolt on an empty chamber doesn't work either....the bolt remained locked open.

The only way I could get a new magazine to work was to sharply rap the base of the stock on the firing bench so that inertia would close the bolt on an empty chamber. Then, I could insert a loaded magazine and chamber a round by operating the charging handle.

This was not a one time experience....it happened every time the bolt locked open on the last round fired from a magazine.

A quick Google search shows that I am not the first to experience a frozen bolt. I have seen a few suggestions about what might fix the problem....but, nothing definite yet. I will do some more reading tonight. If I don't find a solution, I will probably call mom tomorrow.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Yeah... mortaring your rifle just to pop in a fresh mag is no bueno.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Finally got to the range yesterday. I didn't fire enough rounds to justify making a post in the review section; so I will mention some of my initial observations here.

Accuracy: Wonder of wonders. The flip-up sights were dead on target...right out of the box. I was shooting at 25 yards; and didn't have to make any adjustment to the sights. OTOH, the reflex sight did need some significant adjustment in order to co-witness. After these adjustment were complete, the rifle just continued to put round after round in center of target.

Trigger pull with HTA stock: The trigger is still a little funky; but it feels better as you get used to it. The safety bar on the front surface of the trigger is pinned (hinged) at the bottom of the trigger. It only takes a few rounds to realize that the trigger prefers a higher placement of the finger during firing. Once I started forcing myself to place my finger on the upper half of the trigger, everything started smoothing out immediately.

Overall functioning: During actual firing, the rifle operated flawlessly. However, reloading a second magazine was a totally different matter. The bolt locks back on an empty magazine just as it is supposed to do. But......when that empty magazine is removed and a new fully loaded magazine is inserted, the bolt is frozen open....no amount of tugging on the charging handle will make it move forward to chamber a round. Removing the magazine and trying to close the bolt on an empty chamber doesn't work either....the bolt remained locked open.

The only way I could get a new magazine to work was to sharply rap the base of the stock on the firing bench so that inertia would close the bolt on an empty chamber. Then, I could insert a loaded magazine and chamber a round by operating the charging handle.

This was not a one time experience....it happened every time the bolt locked open on the last round fired from a magazine.

A quick Google search shows that I am not the first to experience a frozen bolt. I have seen a few suggestions about what might fix the problem....but, nothing definite yet. I will do some more reading tonight. If I don't find a solution, I will probably call mom tomorrow.
did it do it in the original stock? if not ,probably a HTA problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
did it do it in the original stock? if not ,probably a HTA problem.
I never fired it in the original stock; but there's nothing about the HTA stock that would mechanically interfere with the bolt closing.
I am finding many discussions on the web where guys are having the same problem with the action still in the original stock.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
I never fired it in the original stock; but there's nothing about the HTA stock that would mechanically interfere with the bolt closing.
I am finding many discussions on the web where guys are having the same problem with the action still in the original stock.
I had that problem with my HTA 4095 first trip out. It locked and I was done with it for the day. Yanked it out of the stock and it was still jammed. I got pissed and didn't do anything to it for weeks. I forget how it when back forward. The one 40 mag I found to shoot had feeding problems off my porch. I need to explore that some more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts