1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
That's how you get ants!
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Forearm Forklifts, lifting straps. Big lots or Harbor Freight should have them.

·
That's how you get ants!
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look very helpful. Northern Freight sells them, and I have one near by.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Hand truck/refrigerator mover will help save your back. Someone should have one you can borrow or Uhaul rents them.

·
Premium Member
8,265 Posts
Those forearm things put a HUGE bending moment on your radius and ulna (forearm bones)! Bones have evolved to support compression and tension loads, not bending. I can see those things causing the bones to snap (IMO), and would never use them. I'd rent a wheel dolly as Yeoldetool recommended.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Jeez, Wimp. This is a hi point forum.. You know . Big. block. ugly. tough! Be a man, just throw it on your back and get the thing home! STOP BEING A NANCY BOY!!;)

BTW, how is that HP22a? buying my son one for his first handgun.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Doug,

see if you can rent a furniture mover from u-haul or rider. It is a short lip hand cart with a set of ratchet straps. Two guys with this can handle up to 1/2 ton...Good luck and don't forget your athletic supporter...

·
That's how you get ants!
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Jeez, Wimp. This is a hi point forum.. You know . Big. block. ugly. tough! Be a man, just throw it on your back and get the thing home! STOP BEING A NANCY BOY!!;)
Lol, I am as the good Lord made me. At 167lbs, it outweighs me by quite a lot. :D

Anyway, I have done my time with back pain in the past, even ruptured a disk, and would prefer to avoid it for the rest of my life. :eek:

BTW, how is that HP22a? buying my son one for his first handgun.
Like it a lot, but like my BuckMark better. The HP22a has a somewhat tiny grip, but it's pretty accurate even with the 3" barrel (I have both). With the 3" barrel, it's compact and can make a nice pocket gun.

Doug

·
That's how you get ants!
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woohoo, got it in da house. :)

Doug

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Wow, I am envious. been looking for a while now, just can't find a great deal like that. I live in a rural area that has a lot of Young bucks that Know I shoot. I have a hard mounted pistol safe , but my long guns are on a locking rack , plus a cable in a dead bolted closet. I just don't have that sense of security I would get from a hard mounted Heavy safe.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Looks really nice, Doug. They're even more "safe" if you can get it into a closet or at least a corner. That cuts down on the pry points and leverage if someone really wants to break into it. There are videos on the net that show burglars actually break into safes with pry-bars when the safe isn't installed like it should be, and when it is installed properly, they won't even bother trying. Make sure it's lagged to the wall and floor.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Doug thats a heck of deal ya got there. That's the same Sentry safe I got two years ago for $700 plus on black Friday at Cabelas. Almost identical dimensions except mine is 26 in. wide. You've seen what I've done with mine as far as storage and more shelving from The Container Store and those abs holsters cut with a dremel tool. The only thing I would strongly advise on is when you buy those containers of disscant at Home Depot is to mark the date on them. The smaller ones are good for 2 months. I left mine in a bit longer than I thought and my laquared coated .223 ammo got a fine coating of rust and one of my AR's wouldn't digest the ammo. The MP15 had no probs with it and finally used up the rusty non brass'ed ammo. There should be some photos somewheres in there of what I did to mine. If ya can't find them, holler and I'll post them back up so you can see what ideals you can get. Great buy too. Oh and I forgot to mention..bolt it down on the floor if you're on a pier and beam foundation and can get under the house too. On concrete flooring I think you're gonna need a good drill and bit.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Good thinking, Oak. I went the other way and got an electric moisture remover for my safe. I love it! And for the price of replacing the containers of dissecant it doesn't cost any more than that for electricity, plus I don't have to remember to change it..

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Good thinking, Oak. I went the other way and got an electric moisture remover for my safe. I love it! And for the price of replacing the containers of dissecant it doesn't cost any more than that for electricity, plus I don't have to remember to change it..
I'm definately needing to get one of those now instead of the containers. Where did ya get yours Yeoldetool?

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Kewl..will look and order one. Shoot I know I've spent more than that in the two years I've had my safe. Get ya one of these too Doug!

·
That's how you get ants!
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, that looks like a good idea. Also like the rifle rods and pistol hangers. Some good stuff there.

Doug

·
Premium Member
8,265 Posts
You can dry your desiccant. I place the containers on a piece of wood on a high rack in the oven on LOW. About an hour will do it. This is not some cheap trick. Airplanes use desiccant filters to dry avionics cooling air. When saturated they are removed, hot dry air is blown through them, and they are reused many times.

I keep the oven door cracked open and watch em close. I have had the edges of the bag melt a tad once. If they are getting to hot I open the door and dump some heat. Works good.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
You can dry your desiccant. I place the containers on a piece of wood on a high rack in the oven on LOW. About an hour will do it. This is not some cheap trick. Airplanes use desiccant filters to dry avionics cooling air. When saturated they are removed, hot dry air is blown through them, and they are reused many times.

I keep the oven door cracked open and watch em close. I have had the edges of the bag melt a tad once. If they are getting to hot I open the door and dump some heat. Works good.
Seriously? lol..look at the bottom of my safe, that's a plastic 5lb tub. Plastic. Right now its almost exhausted, maybe end of Dec. is how I marked it. Nevertheless, I sure am not gonna put a plastic tub in the oven. When it finally exhusted itself that tub is half full of liquid and the blue crystals are one big rock hard clump. I think I'm gonna buy me a electric thingy like yeoldetool posted.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts