My $20 Wally World "reman'd" Tasco Red Dot is evidently....

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by clickclick, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ...a POS. :rolleyes:

I've been to the range no less than 10 times with my 995TS, since beginning of December. Fired off 1350 rounds through it. :D

I put the Red Dot sight on it a few weeks ago and every single trip to the range, means a re-sighting/re-adjusting of the Red Dot. I'm talking 6" (or more) off center at 25 yards. :eek:
    Not to mention, it turns more into a chevron shape, like this: < , instead of a dot after a half hour anyway.

That's not normal is it?

I have found it easier (FOR ME) to just re-install and re-use the original sights, although I did slightly drill out the rear ghost ring, which helped me and my old eyes tremendously.

2. Just got home from the range. It's awesome having it right on the way home.

Anyway...took about 20 or so rounds to dial in the stock (but drilled out) rear ghost ring with the front sight, which I also highlighted with some of my wife's pink nail polish.

Had 1 failure to feed out of 200 rounds of Freedom Munitions ammo, and I'm not 100% sure that I didn't hit the mag release by accident, so I'm happy.

3. PapaMAS

PapaMAS PapaMAS Member

Yup, sounds like your red dot is a POS. I found the iron sights were pretty good on mine. Still, I couldn't resist taking them off and putting on a red dot myself.

4. I've found that I am a much more consistent shot without it.

5. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i had a leapers golden image on my 995 it worked well held zero well was relatively cheap. i got a shotgun that came with a bsa red dot on it don't waste your money. was 12ga crtainly more abusive than pistol caliber carbine but still a POS.

6. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

I have a few red dots on my firearms and only had an issue with one,it ate battries and refused to stay true.
    This taught me to a lesson and now I have the magpul flip up sights as back ups.

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Here's hoping my Tasco 3-7x20 Rimfire Scope works OK!!! :D

8. If someone would want to try their luck with my Red Dot, I'd be glad to let them...

9. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

My $40 red/green Tasco dot sight has worked fine for some time now on both the 995 and my AR. My only complaint is that it's kind of big and heavy compared to higher end models.

10. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

I do realize the money factor, but I would think anyone buying one of these HP carbines. Would have saved enough to invest a little more cash than 40 bucks into a good secondary sight. I also realize the fun and cool factor in playing around with these little gimmes. But think about, the money you spent in ammo sighting it in every time you go to the range, and a second cheap sight, you could have had one good one. These $40 sights are going fail, just when you need them the most. Iron sights are a must have on a carbine, Red dot secondary, preferably co-witnessed. On a AR, Listen a GOOD cheap sight will lure you into thinking its a good one. Then at about 2000 rds you'll start asking yourself, Why do I have to keep move this sight every time I go to the range. The $40 sights will not take the pounding these little carbines or a semi-auto rifle, is capable of dish out. So, for Fun go ahead, but don't bet your life on them.

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    Might be OK on rimfire ;)
    Try that and you can keep it "busy"

12. I honestly could never figure out how anyone can use both the iron sights and any type of scope or red dot sight. I had mine co-witnessed with the stock front sight, but can't imagine how it would be trying to use a rear sight through a red dot that was turned on or off?

Like I said I seem to be a lot more comfortable and accurate without the red dot....maybe I just don't fully understand how they are supposed to function. I do know that with the red dot dust caps on, like they'd surely be in a surprise HD scenario, that I was way off my aim points. With it removed, yesterday (@ 25 yds.) I was able to go from an at rest stance with rifle barrel pointed down, to up, aimed, and fired within a 6" group with 9 out of 10 shots. Just one outside the grouping. I thought that was pretty good for an inexperienced shooter like I am. I'd feel much more at ease with it now, in a confrontation due to that clarity.

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I co-witnessed my RDS and irons on the 4095. It took a bit of practice to get comfortable with but I used a lower-third co-witness for my irons. For me, the concept there was that the RDS was used for rapid target acquisition snap shots without having one's line of sight obscured by the irons. The irons would be used for more precision shots where you had time to focus and properly settle in to the carbine before firing.

To clear up my weird terminology, a snap shot would be one taken when coming from low or high ready (I'm not a fan of high-ready) to a firing position.

[​IMG]

14. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The intent behind. Co-witnessing your sights is to make sure that you can still use your irons if the optic fails. Co-witnessing with just the front sight does you no good. The red dot works on it's own, without aligning it with your front sight.

A proper co-witness allows you to align your rear and front iron sights if your optic is off or malfunctioning. I'm not sure exactly how your setup is configured, but the type of mount, in conjunction with the height of your irons determines whether or not you can co-witness them.

On my AR, I can align my rear and front irons through the scope tube. From there, I only shoot the red dot with the sights flipped down, unless the scope fails, at which point I could flip up the irons and use them.

You will need to get a mount that let's you either look through your rear sight, through the optic, and align the rear sight with the front, or get a mount that puts space under the optic through which you can align your irons.

15. undeRGRound

INDY

Sounds like a good training regimen.
    6" @ 25 yds is well with center mass,
    and even tighter at HD and SD ranges.

16. Thanks for the reply. My results are the opposite, for some reason. Using your terminology, and using a B-27 target @ 25 yards, I was experimenting with using the iron sights from the "low ready" position and from that point, to actually firing, I was at less than 3 seconds, and surprisingly accurate. With the RDS, I could equal or better that time, as far as making a shot and hitting the target, but not nearly as accurately. To be accurate with a nice grouping, I'd be probably double the time...maybe even more.

I use the 25 yard shooting to help me be more accurate at closer range, and it has seemed to work. Can usually group at 2" or so at 13 yards. It's actually very similar to my younger days when a few of us would practice all day on a tournament sized pool hall table, then go to the bars and kick butt playing for money on the smaller, bar sized tables.:D Maybe a dumb comparison, but the results have been very much the same for me. Practice far/big, to be better close/small. ;)

Forgive the "newbie"-ness please, but when a RDS is co-witnessed with both front and rear sights, you're able to still aim with them, by just leaving the RDS turned OFF? (and dust caps open or off, obviously)

Like I said, and I know it isn't rocket science, maybe I just am still not grasping how to properly use the RDS. :confused:

17. Mine is a 995TS with, now, the stock front and rear sights.
    The part I "bolded" is what gets me screwed up. I know if I move my head slightly, the dot moves off target. Does the dot only work, correctly, on it's own, if your stance, and cheek are in the same exact spot as when it was sighted in?

Yessir. I thought that would work. See my analogy/comparison in reply above about the old pool hustler days. ;)

I appreciate the replies! Thanks for putting up with the newbie questions. Sorry if some of you guys think I'm an idiot...lol. I'm really not. Just trying to learn. :eek:

P.S. I know what HD is, but not SD?

18. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yes, that's why I use the lower third method. I sight my irons in in the lower third of the lens of the RDS. The reticle of the RDS will be above the iron sights so I can go both eyes open, rapid sight-in, and fire. A slight cheek weld adjustment will put me on to my iron sights if the RDS fails or I need to take a shot at a longer range. You can also do a true co-witness in which you line up the iron, front and rear, with the RDS. I have only used that with flip up rear irons though. For me, my RDS was sighted for short range, around 25 yards. I had a laser set for 10 yards, RDS for 25 yards, and my irons sighted to 75 yards. My goal with the laser and RDS was keeping it on a paper plate at those ranges.

SD is Self Defense BTW.

19. Thanks for the explanations and info. FWIW I tried to remount the RDS in front of the rear iron sight, but it won't fit without some modification to the sight guard/rails.

I saw on here somewhere that someone cut their sight rails to make a RDS fit, but I'm not sure I want to cut mine. It looks like those little side rails are an important part of that substructure.

20. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The dot moves because as you turn your head, you are also changing the alignment of the rifle, ever so slightly, more than likely. As you will notice with a magnified optic that has crosshairs, moving your head will also cause the reticule to move, too. The red dot in your optic moves in the same way.

It certainly is best to use the same cheek weld whenever you shoot just so that you can habitually pick up the same one when you rapidly present the weapon, but if there is a slight variation, your dot will still accurately depict the point of impact for your next round.

Don't forget to read about the paralax figures for your optic, though. Within a certain distance, most optics will hit high.

Also, make sure to dedicate an entire range session to using the optic, alone, so that you can develop confidence in it. Experiment with shooting some groups while your cheek weld is varied, repeating groups with that altered cheek weld from one string to the other a few times so that you can verify the effects of each different cheek weld.

It should internalize your confidence that the dot will be accurately showing you the point of impact.