My 243... remixed

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Death Penalty, Dec 11, 2007.

1. I've spent a couple weeks working diligently at breathing some new life into my 243. The reblue job is a bit rough, but I think the stock more than makes up for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I sanded it down to 600 grit and refinished it with tung oil. I polished and blued the bolt handle, floor plate, extractor, and trigger guard. I patina'd the bolt knob (much better than the old shiny brass). So... Whatcha think?

2. 1motion

1motion Guest

that is some beautiful wood

3. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Wood looks excellent. Dont be too hard on yourself about the blueing. It took me several reblue jobs before i got good at it. Its all about practice.

SW

4. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

When did you sporterize that Mauser, and what blue did you use?

5. I didn't sporterize it, it was a custom job done by a friend of my grandfather about 40 years ago, then given to my grandfather. It's WAY beyond just a sporterized Mauser. The bluing was Birchwood Casey's Tru Blue, bought a Gander Mtn. I reblued over what was already there, just to give the bald spots that it had a bit more protection.

6. That wood grain is gorgeous!!! Great job my friend!

7. Overall I say you have yourself a fine looking rifle and in a sweet shootin caliber to boot. As for the bluing, you will be more critical of your own work than others will when looking at it, so dont sweat it cause it looks pretty darn good from the pics for a cold blue job.

rimfirehunter

8. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Member

Well you did a great job preserving both a peace of your family and war history. I hope my old shot gun turns out as well when I refinish and re-blue it next month.

9. I found the secret to a good job refinishing (third gun I've refinished) is to skip the clearcoat/lacquer and just go with a rubbed oil finish. I gave this stock a couple additional coats of linseed a few months ago, but I decided to sand it down to get all the nicks and dings out. I've gone with tung oil on all three guns that I've redone, and I guarantee I'll use it on every gun I do from here out. It does things to the grain in wood that are just, well, unnaturally awesome. I have two coats on the 243, now it just needs a coat of Butcher's Wax to seal the pores and it'll be ready to snipe some coyotes. It's far from the most durable finish, but it looks REALLY f**kin good.

10. I found about the Tung Oil secret some years back from a couple ole muzzleloading buddies in one of the ML clubs I was a member of. Since then I am a firm Tung Oil user on any wood stock I want to refinish. Even refinished a birch stock once with Tung Oil and it came out looking like a beauty too, a good coat of wax finisher made it look like a $200 stock instead of the $49 I paid for it in unfinished form.

rimfirehunter

11. Ari

Ari Guest

Nice Mauser