My 45 JHP's First Outing: It's a Keeper!

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Think1st, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    As the thread title says, I took my 45 JHP to the range for the first time, today, and it is a reliable and accurate pistol. The unusual contours and balance of the pistol took some getting used to as I did extensive dry fire with snap caps in my living room, but at the range, it turned out to be a very comfortable pistol to shoot.

The RSO out there walked up to my bench as I set the pistol out, looking to see what I'd be shooting. I told him not to laugh, and he politely said that he no intention of doing so. After a little conversation about the roles that I thought it could fill in my collection as other shooters finished setting up their targets, he finally called the range hot.

I had no idea where its sights were zeroed from the factory, so I kept the target at 7 yards for my first box of ammo. As I touched off the first five rounds of PMC Bronze 230-grain FMJ, I was delighted to see them group within less than two inches, although they were high. At least the windage was on. I failed to bring the instructions with me, so I made a couple of elevation screw turns in the wrong direction. After figuring out which way to turn it, though, I finally got the elevation right. The process resulted in the vertical string shown in the attached picture. With the zeroing complete and well confirmed, I put five rounds into the target's head area as quickly as I could without incurring the RSO's attentions beyond his periodic admiring glances at my target.

It was funny to hear him mention to another shooter, a few benches over, that I was shooting a Hi Point. When the other guy looked over, he said, "Before you laugh, take a look at his target." I enjoyed a certain amount of pleasure as his eyes widened with surprise at what he saw.

With the first 50 trouble-free rounds downrange, I waited until the next cease fire so that I could move my target stand to the 25-Yard mark. The attached picture shows a neat perspective from the bench. The other picture shows what the 100 trouble-free rounds of PPU 230-grain FMJ did to a 12-inch circle. I took only minimal care with my trigger technique, so the group is a bit spread out, but based on the gaping hole in the middle, it is readily apparent that the pistol's accuracy is inherently excellent.

The pistol made an overall great impression on me, in spite of the very minor shortfalls in total refinement. The trigger's break was less than clean, and the reset was not very palpable, but the light weight certainly made up for it. Meanwhile, the weight of the slide makes for a very mild recoil impulse. The magazine was easy to load all the way to its nine-round capacity, although the slide did show a tendency to need a little help when chambering that first round, probably due to upward pressure from the magazine spring compression. None of those characteristics adversely impacted the 45 JHP's shootability in the least. Quite frankly, I had a good feeling about it with each round fired.

What a fun time! For a pistol that cost $161 out the door, it is an amazingly fun toy for the range, while its demonstrated accuracy and reliable functioning showed it to be something that I would have no issues relying upon in an emergency. This thing is going to make a lot more trips to the range in the near future.

I can't wait until I get permission to get the carbine to go with it.

Attached Files:

2. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I'm not laughing. Neither is your targets. Dead targets don't laugh.........:D

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    No. Probably due to how you're racking it & needing a bit of lube and breaking in.

4. Think1st

Florida
    I racked it pretty aggressively, just as I cycle all semi-auto actions, so additional break-in is most likely what's needed. I've noticed that the recoil and firing pin springs are VERY stiff at full compression (right at the rear-most position of the slide), and the slide has to be brought back with a significant amount of force when loading from a full magazine. I'm sure that with continued use, the slide will be able to come back just that little smidgen farther so that it can get behind the first round with more travel between the breech face and the case.

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

You needed a piece of paper to tell you lefty loosey, righty tighty and FO/RS sighting? :p

6. Think1st

Florida
    I never assume anything about screws...:p

7. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Like you, I'm big fan of the Hi-Point .45 ACP JHP. Where else are you going to get a dependable .45 pistol for under $200 new?

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Now get the following:

Joey keychain
    eBay flush mag
    Thingmeister grips

.....and you have a good looking gun!

9. xtreme95cummins

xtreme95cummins Member

This is was a great story. I love all my hi points. I have the 45, the 40, (which both shoot great!), the c9 (which is what I carry) & my fiancé has the 380 & she loves it..

10. Think1st

Florida
    What does that Joey keychain do? I've seen it mentioned on a couple of other threads and can't quite tell from the pictures. Also, does the flush mag still hold 9 rounds? I didn't know they made them, but it would certainly be nice to have some.

As for the grips, it could definitely use some with more aggressive texture.

11. Think1st

Florida
    Thanks, xtreme. I have a few other manufacturers' pistols, too, and the HP is a very welcome new member of the family. It is going to be making several trips to the range before the other pistols do. I can't wait to get the carbine to go with it!

12. mellon

mellon Member

Dont forget the mahan rear sight.

13. mellon

mellon Member

Swaga. How hard is the joey keychain to install? Did u have to enlarge the pin hole on it.

14. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Flush mag holds 7 rounds o' 45 which at the range is fine.
    Keychain took me 15 min. and fits without any modifications.
    It is purely cosmetic but does have less side to side wobble then the original.
    Also I did a little bit of work on moving parts so the trigger pull is smoother now.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  15. xtreme95cummins

xtreme95cummins Member

Hell yeah .. I been wanting to buy a carbine also.. probably a 9mm or 40

16. juski_w

juski_w Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1421452853.483948.jpg now you need a.45 carbine

Sent from my iPad using Hi-Point Forum

17. xtreme95cummins

xtreme95cummins Member

That is Sweet..

18. Think1st

Florida
    Believe you me--It's on the list.

19. tone

tone Member

Stipple the grips. Huge improvement and easy to do. Oh and free!

20. xtreme95cummins

xtreme95cummins Member

info please