My American Flag C9

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by smognus, Mar 29, 2015.

1. smognus

smognus Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1427602211.454849.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1427602231.019733.jpg

Had some overspray that I'm not crazy about, but otherwise pretty happy with how it turned out.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Not too shabby!.... But now you gotta scream "Murica, Beiotch!" When you shoot it!...

3. smognus

smognus Member

Ha! Yeah, for sure! It's definitely a paint job that's tending toward silly/obnoxious, but there's not a lot else that I love more than this country!

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Cool beans brother!

5. smills41

smills41 Member

my only question would be How long does it hold up under use?

6. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Well, it definitely screams "USA"! :D

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    You didn't prep the grips to remove the mold release agent. That's why the tape peeled the white off. You'll be able to remove the paint with your fingernail. For crisper lines mask them off with automotive pin striping and use painters tape for wider areas. Despite it's name, don't use masking tape. The edges will bleed and it's too sticky if you haven't let the base coat cure properly.

8. smognus

smognus Member

Honestly, I don't know yet. I don't really expect it to hold up all that well. I don't know crap about painting. This was more of a test to see if I could even get a design on it. I fully expect to need to strip it all off at some point and do a whole new paint job. I'll update here after shooting it though.

9. smognus

smognus Member

This is good stuff, thanks! I used the 3M scotch-blue painter's tape all the way around. Do you mean to do edges with the automotive pin-striping and the painter's tape beyond the edges?

How do you recommend removing the mold release agent?

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Yes

Ajax or Comet and an old toothbrush. Wet the grips and scrub them for a few minutes then wash them off good. You'll notice all that shiny crap will be gone and the paint will be able to bite into the porous plastic. Others will say to sand them but it isn't necessary unless you want to change the shape or texture. Also make sure you degrease parts before painting and don't touch them with your bare hands after. The oil on your fingers can contaminate a paint job. Ajax Lemon Dish Liquid is a great inexpensive degreaser.