Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking I really need to thin the herd a bit. After years and years of basically nothing but a medium and large ALICE pack with an Outdoor Products day pack, I started to "upgrade" my packs.

The first I bought was the LL Bean Continental pack. About the size of a medium ALICE, I had decided after a lot of looking and reading that this would be the pack to last me out my years. I had decided on the dark loden color when I was offered one in khaki. The price was right, so I took the offer. It's still one of my favorite packs, and I am very fond of it.
upload_2020-11-12_20-16-41.jpeg

But I needed something a bit larger. The Continental was great for an overnighter, but I wanted something to take me through a 3 day weekend. I bought the Helikon-Tex Matilda. Fitting in nicely in size between the Continental and the large ALICE, this pack was what I was looking for. Plus it is a very comfortable pack. I person could do a lot worse than this one!
upload_2020-11-12_20-23-14.jpeg

I always wanted a Hidden Woodsman day ruck. Just could not afford one. Then one day opportunity knocked. I was offered a never used Hidden Woodsmen Day Ruck. The asking price was virtually the same as what a new one cost, but it also came with a matching Hidden Woodsmen Haversack. Guess I watch too much American Pickers as I just could not walk away from a bundle. This is ultimate day ruck, and it comes with pride of ownership.
upload_2020-11-12_20-30-47.jpeg

Got the itch to replace my old Outdoor Products Quest day pack. This was my EDC bag that lived in my vehicle. I liked the pack, but just wanted to try something new. I decided on the Helikon-Tex EDC bag. Ironically it looked a lot like the edc bag I was already using, just a bit smaller. I ordered it along with a couple of side pouches. Like the Matilda pack mentioned above, it is a very comfortable pack. I don't generally like a pack with zippers, I prefer buckles, but this one is a favorite regardless.
upload_2020-11-12_20-37-32.jpeg

I liked the EDC backpack for a vehicle bag, but I really wanted something I could comfortably carry on my person every day. Again i turned to Helikon-Tex. The Sling Pack fit the bill nicely.
upload_2020-11-12_20-50-5.jpeg

Still, I did not have a large pack. Actually I was pretty happy with my ALICE, but i will admit to it being a bit uncomfortable. I waffled a lot about replacing it with the Hidden Woodsmen Deep Woods Ruck. It sits on the ALICE frame. How could 2 similar packs not be basically the same? I figured it to be just as uncomfortable. But was I wrong! It's way more comfortable. I think it's the way the bag itself seems to fit tighter to the frame. Don't know, but I am glad I bought it.
upload_2020-11-12_20-46-41.jpeg

At this point I have more than covered my needs. Except The Hidden Woodsmen put on a sale. The Forest Rucksack just sort of called out to me, basically because the earth brown version was $100 off the regular price. I just could not pass up the sale. The Forest Rucksack one the Continental are squarely in completion with each other. I honestly don't know which I like better. At the end of the day, both are great packs. I think I enjoy the LL Bean Continental just a little better, but I have to give quality of build to the Forest Rucksack. Both will outlast me I am sure.
upload_2020-11-12_20-54-48.jpeg

And I would be remiss not to mention the last two. I put together a pack for my daughter. I chose the 65 Liter Stavern backpack from Ozark Trail. A very good pack that I thought would be good for those long weekends. I added to it the 36 liter Jasper backpack for day use and overnighters. These are fine backpacks that are very comfortable. And while I would not pick either for a end of the world bug out scenario, I am very comfortable with them for the casual use I pictured for them. The buckles are light weight, as are the zippers, but good is good
enough.
upload_2020-11-12_21-1-53.jpeg
upload_2020-11-12_21-2-46.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: CamoDeafie

·
Premium Member
3,600 Posts
I hear you on the growing backpack herd sickness LOL. I have...
A few cheap daypacks/laptop bags,most are black.
2 Med ALICEs
1 custom tailor(not me) copy of 10th mtn ruck
1 Large ALICE
1 FILBE-no suspension/frame yet
Then theres the self-made backpacks/waist bags...
1 green ALICE/MOLLE lumbar pack/small satchel
1 Mossy Oak bottomland waist pack
1 1700 ci coyote brown pack, wife's favorite, planning to make new lightweight straps that actually fits it. Filbe straps are OK but isnt retained all that well when packs loaded.
1 taiwan woodland panel pack for coleman small frames
1 sage/olive backpack largely similar to a Kelty but with bigger side pockets for a variety of frames, currentlt on a coleman peak 1 large frame
1 2,000ci FILBE framed MOLLE pack I made, its a good camping bag, uses the FILBE frame and suspension.

I have plans to make another 1700ci pack for a GHB for myself in woodland camo, it'll look closer to the Lowe Klettersack design but with some MOLLE. I also have another pack that I am working on, little bit larger than the 1700ci pack, and with 2 Sustainment sized pockets sewn on it a la ARVN Ruck, in Spruce green with Ranger Green lids and straps, for the Foliage Med MOLLE frame with Foliage Green(grey really) hardware

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If
I hear you on the growing backpack herd sickness LOL. I have...
A few cheap daypacks/laptop bags,most are black.
2 Med ALICEs
1 custom tailor(not me) copy of 10th mtn ruck
1 Large ALICE
1 FILBE-no suspension/frame yet
Then theres the self-made backpacks/waist bags...
1 green ALICE/MOLLE lumbar pack/small satchel
1 Mossy Oak bottomland waist pack
1 1700 ci coyote brown pack, wife's favorite, planning to make new lightweight straps that actually fits it. Filbe straps are OK but isnt retained all that well when packs loaded.
1 taiwan woodland panel pack for coleman small frames
1 sage/olive backpack largely similar to a Kelty but with bigger side pockets for a variety of frames, currentlt on a coleman peak 1 large frame
1 2,000ci FILBE framed MOLLE pack I made, its a good camping bag, uses the FILBE frame and suspension.

I have plans to make another 1700ci pack for a GHB for myself in woodland camo, it'll look closer to the Lowe Klettersack design but with some MOLLE. I also have another pack that I am working on, little bit larger than the 1700ci pack, and with 2 Sustainment sized pockets sewn on it a la ARVN Ruck, in Spruce green with Ranger Green lids and straps, for the Foliage Med MOLLE frame with Foliage Green(grey really) hardware
I had your skills I would have a room full of packs!

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
I need to get down to the local Army/Navy store to see what they have on hand. They carry original military stuff and commercial brands. I had gotten 2 old style small medic bags from them but gave them away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts