Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking I really need to thin the herd a bit. After years and years of basically nothing but a medium and large ALICE pack with an Outdoor Products day pack, I started to "upgrade" my packs.

The first I bought was the LL Bean Continental pack. About the size of a medium ALICE, I had decided after a lot of looking and reading that this would be the pack to last me out my years. I had decided on the dark loden color when I was offered one in khaki. The price was right, so I took the offer. It's still one of my favorite packs, and I am very fond of it.
Brown Military camouflage Webbing Luggage and bags Bag

But I needed something a bit larger. The Continental was great for an overnighter, but I wanted something to take me through a 3 day weekend. I bought the Helikon-Tex Matilda. Fitting in nicely in size between the Continental and the large ALICE, this pack was what I was looking for. Plus it is a very comfortable pack. I person could do a lot worse than this one!
Brown Luggage and bags Bag Khaki Backpack

I always wanted a Hidden Woodsman day ruck. Just could not afford one. Then one day opportunity knocked. I was offered a never used Hidden Woodsmen Day Ruck. The asking price was virtually the same as what a new one cost, but it also came with a matching Hidden Woodsmen Haversack. Guess I watch too much American Pickers as I just could not walk away from a bundle. This is ultimate day ruck, and it comes with pride of ownership.
Plant Military camouflage Bag Camouflage Leaf

Got the itch to replace my old Outdoor Products Quest day pack. This was my EDC bag that lived in my vehicle. I liked the pack, but just wanted to try something new. I decided on the Helikon-Tex EDC bag. Ironically it looked a lot like the edc bag I was already using, just a bit smaller. I ordered it along with a couple of side pouches. Like the Matilda pack mentioned above, it is a very comfortable pack. I don't generally like a pack with zippers, I prefer buckles, but this one is a favorite regardless.
Product Sleeve Yellow Font Sportswear

I liked the EDC backpack for a vehicle bag, but I really wanted something I could comfortably carry on my person every day. Again i turned to Helikon-Tex. The Sling Pack fit the bill nicely.
Brown Luggage and bags Bag Backpack Sleeve

Still, I did not have a large pack. Actually I was pretty happy with my ALICE, but i will admit to it being a bit uncomfortable. I waffled a lot about replacing it with the Hidden Woodsmen Deep Woods Ruck. It sits on the ALICE frame. How could 2 similar packs not be basically the same? I figured it to be just as uncomfortable. But was I wrong! It's way more comfortable. I think it's the way the bag itself seems to fit tighter to the frame. Don't know, but I am glad I bought it.
Camouflage Military camouflage Ballistic vest Luggage and bags Military uniform

At this point I have more than covered my needs. Except The Hidden Woodsmen put on a sale. The Forest Rucksack just sort of called out to me, basically because the earth brown version was $100 off the regular price. I just could not pass up the sale. The Forest Rucksack one the Continental are squarely in completion with each other. I honestly don't know which I like better. At the end of the day, both are great packs. I think I enjoy the LL Bean Continental just a little better, but I have to give quality of build to the Forest Rucksack. Both will outlast me I am sure.
Plant Luggage and bags Bag Tree Grass

And I would be remiss not to mention the last two. I put together a pack for my daughter. I chose the 65 Liter Stavern backpack from Ozark Trail. A very good pack that I thought would be good for those long weekends. I added to it the 36 liter Jasper backpack for day use and overnighters. These are fine backpacks that are very comfortable. And while I would not pick either for a end of the world bug out scenario, I am very comfortable with them for the casual use I pictured for them. The buckles are light weight, as are the zippers, but good is good
enough.
Luggage and bags Sleeve Bag Backpack Electric blue
Luggage and bags Bag Backpack Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory

Attachments

Reactions: CamoDeafie

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I hear you on the growing backpack herd sickness LOL. I have...
A few cheap daypacks/laptop bags,most are black.
2 Med ALICEs
1 custom tailor(not me) copy of 10th mtn ruck
1 Large ALICE
1 FILBE-no suspension/frame yet
Then theres the self-made backpacks/waist bags...
1 green ALICE/MOLLE lumbar pack/small satchel
1 Mossy Oak bottomland waist pack
1 1700 ci coyote brown pack, wife's favorite, planning to make new lightweight straps that actually fits it. Filbe straps are OK but isnt retained all that well when packs loaded.
1 taiwan woodland panel pack for coleman small frames
1 sage/olive backpack largely similar to a Kelty but with bigger side pockets for a variety of frames, currentlt on a coleman peak 1 large frame
1 2,000ci FILBE framed MOLLE pack I made, its a good camping bag, uses the FILBE frame and suspension.

I have plans to make another 1700ci pack for a GHB for myself in woodland camo, it'll look closer to the Lowe Klettersack design but with some MOLLE. I also have another pack that I am working on, little bit larger than the 1700ci pack, and with 2 Sustainment sized pockets sewn on it a la ARVN Ruck, in Spruce green with Ranger Green lids and straps, for the Foliage Med MOLLE frame with Foliage Green(grey really) hardware

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If
I hear you on the growing backpack herd sickness LOL. I have...
A few cheap daypacks/laptop bags,most are black.
2 Med ALICEs
1 custom tailor(not me) copy of 10th mtn ruck
1 Large ALICE
1 FILBE-no suspension/frame yet
Then theres the self-made backpacks/waist bags...
1 green ALICE/MOLLE lumbar pack/small satchel
1 Mossy Oak bottomland waist pack
1 1700 ci coyote brown pack, wife's favorite, planning to make new lightweight straps that actually fits it. Filbe straps are OK but isnt retained all that well when packs loaded.
1 taiwan woodland panel pack for coleman small frames
1 sage/olive backpack largely similar to a Kelty but with bigger side pockets for a variety of frames, currentlt on a coleman peak 1 large frame
1 2,000ci FILBE framed MOLLE pack I made, its a good camping bag, uses the FILBE frame and suspension.

I have plans to make another 1700ci pack for a GHB for myself in woodland camo, it'll look closer to the Lowe Klettersack design but with some MOLLE. I also have another pack that I am working on, little bit larger than the 1700ci pack, and with 2 Sustainment sized pockets sewn on it a la ARVN Ruck, in Spruce green with Ranger Green lids and straps, for the Foliage Med MOLLE frame with Foliage Green(grey really) hardware
I had your skills I would have a room full of packs!

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
I need to get down to the local Army/Navy store to see what they have on hand. They carry original military stuff and commercial brands. I had gotten 2 old style small medic bags from them but gave them away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts