My boy is brown...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Jun 11, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Congratulation to Christopher Lawson​, my son, for passing his test for Brown Belt in Judo (USJA) on Monday night. While it's not "official" until the paperwork filters through the organization and definitely not before his mom gets pictures... he gets to wear the brown cloth at the dojo now (which actually doesn't sound as enticing as I'd hoped. ;) )

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :dance: :splits: :dance: :splits: :dance:

Attached Files:

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Congrats with your boy Kirk!
    Useful life lessons.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Congratulations!

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Congrats to Christopher.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I may have written this already in some other thread, but the boy recently took part in a Judo Shiai ("competition") where he placed 2nd. He taped the ribbon to his bedroom door, right beside a large black-line semi-silhouette target full of .22 holes, commenting to me that the purpose was so that in case any home invader broke in, they'd know that he can both shoot AND beat him up. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Congratulations, again, to your son. He sounds like he is really excelling in Judo.

By the way, has he told anymore wannabe tough guys at school that he will choke them out?:p

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    ...and bust his old man's snoot... ;)

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

At school? No.

Elsewhere? Ummm... Just that once that I know of. ;)

I think you were part of the same thread over on TheKTOG.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

There's a reason that my nickname for him is "slugger" and it has nuth'n to do with baseball.

Little punk bloodied my nose back when he was maybe 8 or so (I fergit). I was teaching him the Dempsey style dropstep punch and letting him punch into my gut when he decided he was going to change targets and, without warning, popped me in the nose. :blush:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    That was the reference, indeed.

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Excellent Kirk!.... The belt part, not the slugging your nose part...

13. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

SO, as someone who never studied any martial arts...how does brown compare to other belts? Like, how far away is he from the white belt or from getting a black belt?

Oh, and congrats! :D

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It varies from martial art to martial art, but usually, in my experience, brown is the last color belt before black. Some martial arts, including USJA Judo, have more than one belt-grades within certain color belts. In this case USJA Judo has 3 brown belts before eligibility for black belt (as well as requirements for time-in grade and minimum age), usually designated by "stripes" on one end of the belt.

He's now San Kyu; or 3rd Kyu. In most Japanese martial arts, "kyu" grades are those which are below black belt, which are "dan" grades. Kyu grades usually start high and count down to 1 where dan grade start at 1 and count up. So a 5th Kyu would be a "lower rank" than a 3rd Kyu. Conversely, a 1st Dan would be a "lower rank" than a 3rd Dan. Most Korean martial arts (Tae Kwon Do, for instance) work the same way but substitute the word "Gup" for "Kyu."

Thus, because he's now a 3rd Kyu, that means he has two more belt grades to traverse before he is eligible to test for black belt, both of which have a "time in grade" and a "minimum age" requirement.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

See we learned something new today. Thanks for the belt info now I don't have to look it up.

16. tallbump

SO, that's like when we commonly hear "degree'. Like, 3rd degree black belt?

Cool, definitely thanks for the info.

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes, 3rd Degree Black Belt is 3rd rank up earned in the black belts which 3rd Dan which is San Dan. :)

A common progression, starting at the lowest rank/grade is:
    10th Kyu
    9th Kyu
    8th Kyu
    7th Kyu
    6th Kyu
    5th Kyu
    4th Kyu
    3rd Kyu
    2nd Kyu
    1st Kyu
    1st Dan
    2nd Dan
    3rd Dan
    4th Dan
    5th Dan
    6th Dan
    7th Dan
    8th Dan
    9th Dan
    10th Dan

In most systems 10th degree black belt is reserved for the founder and a very small handful of his most talented students. In judo there's been less than a couple of dozen 10th degree black belts. In most martial arts, anything over 7th or so is not really based on skill. If you meet a 10th degree black belt shoes under 70 then he probably "invented" his own "art" and you should nod politely when he talks and ignore him otherwise as a wannabe with an inflated ego.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I was kicked off Karate somewhere prior to their listing system..... 12-13 Kyu I'd guess...;)

19. tallbump

I was too much of a wimp to even try...I was afraid of the stretching :eek:

Billy Blanks was an instructor here. I heard he could kick the rim of a basketball hoop. I also heard what he had his students doing...

20. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Slap his Momma.