Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the look of the C-9 but I thought that I would make it look a little better.

This is what I started with. Bought used and was sent to Hi-Point for a safety check.

First part I did was paint the sights.

the next part was to sand off the powder coat. I did not have a dremal so I had to do it by hand. This is how half of it looked after an hour and a half.

This is how the slide looked after 3 hours. Almost all of the powder coat is gone. That stuff is hard to take off. It's almost like Hi-Point does not want it to be taken off.

Here you can see how easily the bare metal can tarnish just after just a few minutes. The shiny part is the freshly sanded part and the dull part is the spot that was done 30 minutes before.

Here is how she looks all put back together and with the frame painted.

Opposite side.

Another look at the sights.

Over all from start to finish I would say it took me about 8 hrs over 2 days for the whole project. I have a couple of ideas of something that I can do to grips but I am not sure which one I want to do.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you tell us the whole process?
1. Disassemble the firearm making sure it is unloaded first, including frame if you want that painted. I taped and labeled the smaller pieces so I did not lose them.
2. I used 3M automotive sandpaper sponges to sand off the powder coat starting with the 60 grit, then the 100 grit to smooth out, and finishing with the 320 grit for the final smoothing. I do not have a dremal so doing this by hand will take several hours. You will more than likely not be able to get every bit of the powder coat off before your arm falls off.
3. On the frame put painters tape on any parts you do not want paint on.
4. I used some clothes hangers and a metal rack to hang the frame and slide from to be painted. The paint is Dupli-Color Engine Enamel (Ceramic) I use this b/c it is heat and oil resistant. It will take a few coats to cover and drys in about 5 minutes. Then on top of that I used the Dupli-Color Engine Enamel clear coat also heat and oil resitant. Both can be found at Autozone. All the supplies cost about $30.
5. I let it rest for a few hours before I put the firearm back together.
6. After putting back together I did some basic function testing.
7. The final thing I did was to repaint the top rail with some black hobby paint, the same kind you would use on a model air plane, and a very thin brush. Ask wife or girlfriend for an eyeliner brush that they do not need, that is what I used.
8. Go to the range for a full test, let rest at least 24 hrs. I will be going this weekand, I will post a range report next week.
9. Show off and see if people can recognize it as a Hi-Point

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just curious....will that possibly rust now?

(very cool though)
No it wil not rust with the enamel on it and that I do not let it get wet and I clean and oil it after every use.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
That really is YOUR weapon now. Good work 8)

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is one cool looking C9! 8) I didn't think the ZAMAK metal would rust, tarnish maybe. I thought it was a zinc-aluminum alloy.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Looks pretty good. You just couldnt get me to strip off that monster HP finish and replace it with normal enamel, Maybe duracoat thats about the only thing I have seen that compairs to the HP finish it really is one of the things that really impressed me about the HP I wish they would finish the reciver cover of the 995 the same way.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts