My C9 has never been right FTF and Now FTE TOO!

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Chriss, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Chriss

Chriss Member

Hi,
    Chris here, I lurk but almost never post. I got holster and grip ideas from this fine forum. But now I need to post.

I have a very cranky C9 and I am at wits end. No HP basher here.

I have had all 4 caliber HP pistols. All but the 9 were bought used on gun broker. The 45 was sold because it hurt my hand and I just am not a 45 guy. The .380 and fowtay shoot very well. Both are set up as my go to HD guns.

BUT, the new C9 has never been right. From day 1 it has FTF issues. It has just come back from the third trip to OH and now I have new FTE issues as well.

Before the second trip the tech coached me over the phone to tweak the mag lips but that made no diff. After the thrid trip they said the gun was completely rebuilt frame up and shot fine.

For me, on the very first mag, very first round, it was difficult to rack and jammed after firing the first round. On that mag I had 5 jams out of 8 rounds. Similar issues on all five mags. Occasionally I would get only one or two per mag. Both FTF and FTE now. I quit after 100 rounds.
    I have fuzzy, crappy cell phone pics that do show what I am dealing with.

I am grateful for the warranty and the free mags but I am now looking at shipping costs for a fourth trip to OH bringing total shipping costs that exceed what i paid for the gun. It had NEVER been right. I think I cant count the number of jam free mags on one hand and have put well over 500 rounds through it of all flavors of FMJ, tula, brass max, WWB, remmington, perfecta, herters.

I do not see an email for customer service to air this out and send pictures to but I remembered the forum and now seek your counsel.

I also dont offend easy so have you way with me if you wish. Its paying my dues and I get it.....It same on MDShooters.

Thanks very much

Attached Files:

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Wow, this could be FUN!!! But I'll just watch.
    No clue for your problems, unless it is the extractor/ejector combo.
    The old casing is not GTFO fast enough...
    Time for some Pop-Corn!!! :D

Attached Files:

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Judging by the fact that the .45 JHP...one of the softest recoiling guns on the planet...hurt your hands...:confused:...I'm guessing limpwristing.

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

If you've truly sent it back 3 times, its definitely limp wristing. Its a 9mm, recoil is virtually non existant unless your a 7 year old girl.
    There's no way after 3 trips to HP its a gun issue or it would have been fixed.
    Hold it like you mean it, rack it let the slide slam forward and pull the trigger. I believe its 100% operator error.

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Limpwrist for sure. Chris just hold one to it. With a 9 you wouldn't thinks but you do buddy

6. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

Take it to a range and have someone else shoot it. Ask a range officer or someone who shoots a lot to try it. See if they have the same issue.

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Not sure where your at, but I would take it off your hands if you're close?

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Chris,
    Limpwristing is not meant as a degrading term.
    I'm on my phone so hard to find the right video but search YouTube on limpwristing.
    Your shooting technique or grip are not correct.
    I'll try and find a good video later.
    Don't mind the razzing lol

9. lsi1

lsi1 Member

not having a lot of hipoint pistol experience is it possible to limp wrist it that badly?

Due to a lot of alone time as a teenager I developed my wrists early.

Talon I really like your brand new kinder gentler side. I'm really glad this round of meds are working. I'm sure I'll regret that later but that was my thoughts as i read your post.

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Since pretty much everyone nailed the initial problem I'll just add this. Your mags aren't broken in yet and most likely one of those beautiful jams you posted has bent the firing pin.

11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Doesn't really take much with them.

12. colthrash

colthrash Member

blow back design, dual recoil springs, you have to provide enough resistance to the recoil to allow the mechanical design of the slide to function. if your arm is absorbing the energy from the recoil, there is not enough energy left to make the slide function properly. proper grip, combat stance, lean into the shot a little. and as mentioned above, let someone else try it to see if they can duplicate the failure. 2 or 3 someones if you can...

13. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I think everyone else has nailed it, but to gather all of the pertinent information, what ammo are you using? (Looks like Perfecta, which should be fine) Have you tried other ammo? When it functions correctly, are you shooting high, low, left right?

The best advice is to have at least 2 other experienced shooters try it out. Then have them watch you shoot it and give you some feedback.

14. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I would normally say if you bought it used, could be the problem, but after 3 trips to MOM and still having problems is very unlikely. If possible find someone who owns a HP 9mm pistol, both go to the range and trade guns and mags. That should reveal the problem, one way or the other.

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

Read his posts, he clearly states several brands of ammo he has tried.

16. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I stand corrected.

17. 0311

0311 Member

First time out with my 9mm, I had some of the same issues. When I got it home I took it apart to clean it. I use a Q-Tip to clean the channel where the firing pin is. Found the track had a couple burrs on it. The Q-Tip left cotton fibers in the track.

Took a tiny file & just shaved off the burrs without taking too much off. I then slobbed some gun grease on the moving parts. Next time out it was perfect. I think the burrs were slowing down the doll's head.

Cleaned it real good again. Have run hundreds of rounds through it with no issues.

Check that out & run it WET. Worked for me.

18. Chriss

Chriss Member

Well, I never though of myself as being limp wristed. :D I have always thought of my grip as mostly firm with a touch of sensistivity....
    Does limp wristing cause FTF and FTE? The FTE is completely new this time. Are there any pointers on changing my grip that can be done verbally here or do I need hands on instruction or you tube? Uhhh BTW...I dont have any issues with the 380 and 40 nor did I have one with the 45. Is the C9 just an overly touchy thing?

And thanks for the feedback so far and also for taking it easy on me. ;)

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Still crafting a response, "T"? :D ;) :cool:

Hee's a "cool video" that will help the OP

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJM1BDMjge4[/ame]

;)

20. talon

talon the banned wagon

If it didn't, do you think so many people would be suggesting it as the cause?
    The reasons WHY it causes the problem have also been given.