My C9 is shooting low?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Scottbapt, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Scottbapt

Scottbapt Guest

I just purchased a C9 and just finished shooting my first 50 rounds through it. I have found that it shoots about 4-6 inches low at around 5 yards. Is this normal for a new Hi-Point? I am familiar with rifles and Shotguns but this is my first handgun. Any tips!!!

Thanks I love this forum!

2. Basically you are either not used to shooting a pistol and are looking through the sights incorrectly, or the sight needs to be adjusted on the pistol.

Do you have someone else that you can have shoot the pistol to see if it hits low for them also?

That would tell you if its you or the sights

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted :)

3. I felt the same way the first time that I shot my C-9. After some more time at the range, I figured out it was me. One thing that really helped was when I put on the peep sight. For me, that brought me 2.5-3 inch groups at 10 yards. I am not a pistol guy, and I prefer and open sight rifle any day, so I was happy with those groups.

4. +1 on what both Waltham41 and Digger44 both said, also adding......Possibly leaning forward (pushing down on the gun)/(stance)? This will cause the weapon to somewhat point in a downward direction. Kind of hard to explain what I actually mean by typing this. Just another thought.

Digger: when you said "peep site", do you mean the ghost site thingy? I've never tried mine before.

5. Scottbapt

Scottbapt Guest

Thanks. I will work on that. My grouping is good but I was consistently low. I am sure with practice i will get better. I have only fired 50 rounds total in my life from a handgun. Lots more wiyh rifle and shotgun. I guess I will have to shoot some more to get used to it.

Thanks Again!!!

6. 5kknives

5kknives Member

SE WI
    Howdy Scottbapt,

You may be "bucking the shot", pretty common with new pistol shooters and even experienced shooters who haven't been active for a while.

What happens is that a person is anticipating the recoil and the muzzle flip, and trying to force the pistol to stay level.

Notice OI said trying.

What he's reallty doing is dipping the muzzle just as he fires.

Two very old tricks to find out if it's the gun or the shooter;

1. As has been mentioned, have someone else whom you know to be a decent pistol shot, fire a few rounds and see if he's printing low also.

2. Have someone else load the pistol, chamber a round, set the safety and hand ithe firearm to you.

Remember safety is absolutely FIRST!

If your on a formal range, get the RO's permission, he may do it for you. If he doesn't know the drill and the reason for it, he's got no business being a range officer. Find a new range.

Your partner is going to load a full magazine ... maybe. Maybe only two or three, maybe none.

The instant you pull the trigger on the empty chamber you'll know if you're "bucking" or "pulling" the shot, or performing any one of a dozen other bad habits that are easy to fall into.

They can all be corrected, with practice, which means you'll just have to shoot more. :D

Then you have to shoot more to stay in shape.

Awww! :cry:

Sorry to have to break that bad news to you!

Regards,

:)

7. Also, if your finger is all the way on the bottom of the trigger, you may be pulling it down yourself as well. It's hard to tell you much after only 50 rounds anyway. It usually takes me at least that many to become familiar with it. Then I start working on accuracy. Fire another 100 rounds or so and then see where you're hitting.

8. Maybe you could make a video? Just a suggestion, if you did it would help us determine what you are doing wrong. Just a idea :wink:

9. "What happens is that a person is anticipating the recoil and the muzzle flip, and trying to force the pistol to stay level". 5kknives

That is what I was trying to say. :wink: (same thing was happening too me)

10. All good thoughts and inputs. Some more.

1. Find a bench and shoot off it. This way the shot goes where the gun is putting it and you can check sites.

2. For the "am I anticipating the shot" drill - another method is to randomly load snap caps. This way you'll shoot AFTER the MISS - gives you indication of pulling down, as well as practicing recovery from misfire.

3. Go here: http://www.springerprecision.com/ and select shooting tips. There are other out there - but these are pretty good.

Now, go out and shoot a few hundred rounds and report back! :lol:

11. Would a laser bore sighter help in this situation? I've never used one but have often thought of picking one up. I figure that way you know the sights are at least close to where they should be.

12. yes sambo i am referring to the ghost ring. it comes from the idea of a peephole. for me, target acquisition is much quicker with the ring. The two points in the ring also force you to bring your muzzle up and align it with the top of the front sight.

13. imho......... let's not over complicate things. putting the gun on a bench, 5 yards, shooting slow, you'll know exactly where sites / hits are. Then move to 10, then 15 and beyond if you wish. But - this simple exercise allows you to know and make adjustments. Once done, if you not grouping or nailing 10's, it's NOT the gun. Most likely it's YOU! I know - cause it was and is ME when I shoot!

Also when you are practicing for center of mass (COM) in self-defense situation - lasers and taking a quarter inch off spread at 50 yards doesn't really add too much value.

15. I agree with newskate and digger on this. Good sound advice

16. Scottbapt

Scottbapt Guest

Thanks again! This is a great forum!!!

17. love you too man. :shock:

19. Get's the violin out...starts to play........................