Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and bought me a Smith and Wesson 442 38 Special today. It is an Airweight model and weighs 15 ounces. I can conceal it in my pants pocket or in a IWB holster. I am taking my CCW class on Dec 27th.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I love that gun. I have been looking for one in .357 that I can afford...no luck. They are normally around $600 here lately...new and used :cantlook:...
Great score man!

·
Registered
314 Posts
That is a fine looking revolver you have there. I was always really opposed to them, but now you can get the 'evil black' looking ones, I think I need to get myself one! I'm jealous of all the shooting your going to get to do with that thing!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it for 350 out the door with a soft armor holster. the only other place in town that had one was $125 higher. This one looks like new. It looks like the previous owner barely shot it and hasn't been carried because there are no wore spots on it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I like that revolver a lot. Now I want one. I have to stop looking at all these cool guns. I wish I could afford half of the ones on my growing list of "wants". Congrats, it's a fine firearm.

G

·
Personally I would have trouble buying a .38 when I knew a .357 could be used for a hunting sidearm and still used to shoot the .38 ammo as CCW piece.. Nice looking revolver though, hope you enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Personally I would have trouble buying a .38 when I knew a .357 could be used for a hunting sidearm and still used to shoot the .38 ammo as CCW piece.. Nice looking revolver though, hope you enjoy it.
While you are entirely correct about versatility,.38 revolvers tend to be a bit smaller and lighter. As always, you pays your money and you takes your choice...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally found some ammo and got to shoot it in the sunny 50 degree weather we had this afternoon. I shot 10 rounds just to get a feel for it. I am gonna like it alot.

I was at 7 yards, hit the target 9 out of 10 times. I blame the not so great shooting on me, cause I have never shot such a small gun before. It is just right though, not too much kick, perfect carry size.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nice.... I just bought my wife one of these for her new carry gun in 32 H&R. Fixed sights, and no external hammer just point, and shoot. Excellent choice !!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nice! That being said, if you qual with a wheelgun, are you limited to a revolver only? In Texas if you want to carry a semi-auto, then you have to qual with one-- You are then allowed to carry revolver or semi. If you qual with a revolver, then you can carry a revolver only--

Dumb law, but Texas is wierd sometimes...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice! That being said, if you qual with a wheelgun, are you limited to a revolver only? In Texas if you want to carry a semi-auto, then you have to qual with one-- You are then allowed to carry revolver or semi. If you qual with a revolver, then you can carry a revolver only--

Nope, you can qual with any gun and carry any gun.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Finally found some ammo and got to shoot it in the sunny 50 degree weather we had this afternoon. I shot 10 rounds just to get a feel for it. I am gonna like it alot.

I was at 7 yards, hit the target 9 out of 10 times. I blame the not so great shooting on me, cause I have never shot such a small gun before. It is just right though, not too much kick, perfect carry size.

Looks like good shootin' to me dude. Nice gun, carry well.

·
Registered
168 Posts

This is what is so great about living here in IN {and about the only thing}. All you do is go into the PD give them some $ fill out a form and a pretty girl plays with your fingers then you go home. In a week she calls and tells you to come and pick up your paper work. You put more $ in the envelope and mail it to the ISP. In a few weeks the ISP mails you your lifetime "license to carry a handgun". You pay the F.O.P.A. $20.00 range fees for the year and you can shoot at the PD's outdoor range. You will noticed that it a license to carry a handgun and not a canceled weapon permit. No classes, no qualifying no restriction on if you carry open or canceled.

·
Registered
191 Posts

This is what is so great about living here in IN {and about the only thing}. All you do is go into the PD give them some $ fill out a form and a pretty girl plays with your fingers then you go home. In a week she calls and tells you to come and pick up your paper work. You put more $ in the envelope and mail it to the ISP. In a few weeks the ISP mails you your lifetime "license to carry a handgun". You pay the F.O.P.A. $20.00 range fees for the year and you can shoot at the PD's outdoor range. You will noticed that it a license to carry a handgun and not a canceled weapon permit. No classes, no qualifying no restriction on if you carry open or canceled.
But you can't carry in Ohio where folks from Ohio can carry in your state. We require similar standards of training for a CCW holder from other states to be legal here. I'd be a little nervous of a permit that didn't require some training by an instructor if you ever really need to use the weapon. And I'm not questioning your skills with a weapon, rather the legal implications if you ever have to use that weapon to defend yourself, and you either wound the attacker, and he sues you, or his family does. Because their lawyer will tear you a new one claiming you shot his client, or his client's family with a firearm you aren't certified by a instructor to use.

My training was done by staff of my favorite gun shop, the head instructor is the firearms instructor for Montgomery County, Ohio's Sheriff's Department, and the instructor as well for most smaller city police forces in SW Ohio. His and their advice is that any weapon you intend to use for concealed carry, you should have listed on your training form from the same place you took your training through.

I've got a C-9 that I qualified with, I borrowed a 9mm Taraus from a fellow student, as I considered buying one for my carry weapon. I eventually bought a Springfield Armory 9mm XD that I intend to carry, but I'll go back to the shop and have one of my instructors qualify me with that weapon before I ever carry it as a CCW weapon.

The legal ramifications you will face if you ever are forced to fire a shot in self defense are endless, even if the cops see the shooting as self defense and don't charge you with a crime in the shooting. Civil suits don't require near as much to prove as a criminal case, ask OJ. I'd caution anyone who carries to limit their exposure to civil suits in any way possible. It might cost you a little bit to have a permit with a training requirement, and it might cost you a few bucks to be qualified on any handgun you might carry. Those small investment may well save you many countless thousands in legal fees, or civil suit awards in the future. I don't want to see anyone bankrupted for being forced to shoot some worthless slug who truly deserved it.

If you're gonna carry a firearm, get trained with it, and have a certified instructor sign off that you have the skills to use it safely and properly. A simple web search will show you way too many cases of good people who got screwed in court for not doing so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts