Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first rifle, but not my last, from the new owners of Classic Arms.

It has some dents and dings near the back of the stock, with some oil staining, but no gouges. I haven't had a chance to clean it yet, so it's a little greasy still. I thinks with a little tlc the rifle should look great.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good looking 31, ZD. Should clean up very nice. They are a bit expensive to feed ( compared to a Mosin ), but accurate beyond beleif. Getting used to the straight pull is fun too. Congrats....

G

·
Sierra Hotel, dude 8)

You'll love this thing! I love mine and I know Primal's been drooling over these for quite some time. I'm not planning on doing anything to mine cosmetically - those dings and dents tell a story in my eyes.

If you haven't been there already, I'd suggest going on over to http://swissrifles.com/ and http://surplusrifle.com/ (scroll down and click on the K31 link on the left). If you can find surplus GP11 it's berdan primed and steel jacketed, but it's brass cased, non-corrosive, and match grade. That's right - these rifles have never known corrosive ammo :) I usually go to one of the gun stores in town that carries Wolf Gold in 7.5x55 Swiss - match grade, new production, brass cased, non magnetic, and boxer primed!

If you want to scope it, I'd recommend something like the mount here:

http://surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/stmariescopebaseswiss/index.asp

A couple of words about the magazine - treat it with as much care as possible. These are serial numbered to the gun and soldiers were not supposed to have more than one. They also weren't supposed to be removed to be loaded. You won't find separate surplus magazines or mag springs and the aftermarket extras are about $60.00 and from what I've read not all that good. If you want to have a bit of fun and add some old time authenticity, you can get some of the K31 chargers - I got mine here: http://charitycoinshop.stores.yahoo.net/orisswkristc.html You use them through the top of the rifle like a stripper clip to load the magazine while it's in the rifle. You should've see the faces on the counter guys at the shooting range (indoor) when I showed up with those ;)

I don't know about you, but I like bayonets. I have one for each of my Mosins, one for my AK-47, and one for my Steyr M95. The K31 will have to go without for a while - the bayonets are around $100.

I do think I need a sling...

Have fun with that K31 :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yeah, the bayonet is going to have to wait for me, also... luckily, the K31 I put on layaway has the sling with it, but no chargers. I am going to order some of those, though, so thanks for the link Parrothead.

That is a nice one you got there Zer0Daze.

BTW, Parrothead, how do you like the Steyr M95? I have been looking at those for a long time, too. Can you find ammo for it?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, Parrothead, how do you like the Steyr M95? I have been looking at those for a long time, too. Can you find ammo for it?
ditto

I cleaned it up last night. The stock actually is actually a little lighter in color and more golden (it looks great). I just diluted some murphys in warm water and sponged it.

The bolt on these is really interesting.

The troop tag has his unit has "Vpf. Kp"
Whay is Vpf? I can't find it on the swiss rifle site

G

·
No problemo on the links ;)

Ah yes, the Steyr M95 8) Ammo is actually not too hard to find for it, but it ain't cheap. I should've bought more at J&G when I was there - surplus was 50 rounds for $25. Graf's and Cabela's both carry new production ammo by Hornady which is non-corrosive and boxer primed brass which is reloadable. There are reloading dies out there and believe me I'm going to get into reloading for this and the K31! New ammo seems to be running $27 for 20 rounds and surplus is as much or more because the freaking ammo's collectible what with the nazi markings on a lot of it.

The thing about the M95 is that you can either shoot it single shot or you can pony up a bit of dough and buy the en-bloc clips. I recommend the clips. buymilsurp.com has 20 in stock at this time according to their website, but they also want $20 each. I just bought four of them a few months ago on Gunbroker for $12.00 plus shipping. Shop around for these!

How do I like it? Enough to keep feeding it! Think of an M44 with a bit more kick and muzzle flash :devilsidesmile: It doesn't go crack like most rifles, it doesn't go pop like most pistols, it goes BOOM!!!

The Vpf. Kp is part of the soldier's unit ID according to a post on surplusrifleforum.com which means food service/logistics company.

Have fun, y'all 8)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Zer0Daze, take heart in knowing that even the cooks and clerks in Switzerland are badasses with their rifles. In his book Target Switzerland: Swiss Armed Neutrality in World War II, Stephen Halbrook attributes a good portion of Hitler's final decision to leave Switzerland be was that even in peacetime, a full 20 percent of the Swiss population was under arms, each house had at least one firearm, and Swiss youths were trained to shoot at 300 meters (whereas basic German military training set 100 meters as its standard).

The story of Swiss military prowess, from the middle ages through current times is pretty fascinating (at least to a history nerd like myself) :D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hey, Zer0Daze (or other K31 owners out there)... where do you find a headspace gauge for these things?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Ya know guys... I have a M95 Steyr and I still have yet to clean it, or shoot it.... Parrothead, I know, I know. I told you I'd clean it, but damn it, I don't want to. Call it saving it for a rainy day....

I would love a K31 though... If my C&R ever comes in, that's the first gun I am going to buy.

G

·
Primal,

No problemo if you save it for a rainy day - the cosmoline will continue to do its job ;) At least you know what it's like to shoot one!

gtv,

Call me crazy (Primal will probably second that along with most people I know), but I haven't actually had any of my C&R guns checked for headspace or anything. Yes, I was scared silly the first time I pulled the trigger on the M95 (my first C&R), but after that I haven't worried much. I've managed to put my faith in God and the Swiss and Russian craftsmen who made the guns and ammo all those years ago. I can't say I really recommend this approach, but being a bit of a cheapskate and knowing it's only my health on the line, I've just chambered a round, aimed, and fired.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol, I liked this one so much I couldn't pass up another one I found for $150 :)

I told myself last week I would stop the 1 gun a week madness. I guess I fell off the wagon... maybe I need to find a 12 step program or something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.