My crusty old fart

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by Sirex, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Sirex

Sirex Member

I think this rifle has been thru at least a dozen world wars. Muzzle is kinda worn, wood is beat, and reeks of cosmoline and vodka pee. That said, I think I like it. 1897 Mosin Nagant M91. I believe it's a Finnish M91, as the arshins are lined out and has Westinghouse bolt handle and bolt head, but still retains the 1 piece Russian stock dated 1898, no import markings, and no SA Finn army stamp or civil guard numbers. The bore is worn, pitted but I have some Czech training ammo I may shoot thru her this spring just to make sure she's all working.

Attached Files:

2. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

I wouldn't recommend vodka pee as a lubricant except as a last resort.

3. Sirex

Sirex Member

Moar----------------------------->

Attached Files:

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  5. Sirex

Sirex Member

The old myth was, to rinse out the corrosive residue from the ammo, the soldiers peed down the bore. Being Russian originally, I naturally came to the assumption there was a high vodka content. The quality of the vodka is not certain, but percentage is probably pretty high.:D

6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

That thing has been abused! Looks like they sandpapered the barrel...

7. desertrider

desertrider Member

That thing is begging to be put in an Archangel plastic stock, but first you've got to hack saw about 8" off the barrel and throw a pointy muzzle brake on it. And don't forget some rails to hang lights and other tactical goodies off of it.

I keed, I keed. :D

Both my MN's are bone stock and I'd never consider messing with them.

8. Not Finn, it'd be SA marked, it appears to be a Russian M1891.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

10. madmatt45point

madmatt45point Member

I just got my russian mosin today from Talon (thanks buddy) i already love it cant wait to shoot it

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1397953284.473421.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  11. desertrider

desertrider Member

This thread is giving me that itch to hurl some 'x54 downrange.:)

12. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

i got a new case for mine today. now i'm happy it has a nice foam bed to lay in.

13. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    I've had a serious jones for an archangel stock for one of my Mosins. Other stuff keeps getting in the way :mad: Maybe after I get the trigger kit for the XDM I use in competition...

14. Sirex

Sirex Member

Are you talking about the outside or inside, the bore? The outside just has the blue worn off, no sanding, no sanding effect scratching. The bore was just all rusty and pitted from shooting corrosive ammo and not cleaning it well, if at all. Doesn't appear to have been refurbed after being commissioned with the mix of parts. My 1915 Westinghouse looks to have been refurbished by the Finns.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's not a myth. The amonia in urine is especially good at washing away corrosive salts from corrosive ammo. Some (very few) historic minded black powder reinactors talk about it.

In WWI, apparently, it was common to use a 1 to 1 water/ ammonia mixture. After that, the Germans developed Balistol as a CLP which could clean corrosive salts.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk (mobile)

16. That's already my plan for the day.

17. However pissing on guns didn't die with the advent of cleaning solvents, sometimes in a sustained firefight you run out of options and have to cool down your machine gun barrels.

18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

I know the barrels are quite long, 29" for older models, and 25.5" for the 91/30, (carbines were a tad over 20").
    I am wondering why lose so much barrel length? Is the modern powder that much better or what? It seems so many good American hunting rifles have 24" barrels, so why do all the "sporterizers" go so short? 24-25" makes sense to me, so perhaps I am missing something... :confused:

19. desertrider

desertrider Member

I'll guess that people who sporterize their MN's may use them for hunting as opposed to just target shooting or blasting. I imagine cutting a barrel to 20-22" will reduce weight and make the rifle more manageable in wooded or brushy areas.

As I stated before, both of my MN's are bone stock and I don't advocate drastic mods, but I fully understand the reasoning behind customizing ones personal gun to ones liking.

20. Sirex

Sirex Member

First and last time I tried to pee down the bore I burned myself. Sadly, I get shrinkage whenever I go near the Mosins, a psychological trauma I may never cure myself of. Thank goodness for Ballistol, I love the stuff.