My EDC tool kit(more than just a pistol)

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by warhawk77, Nov 13, 2014.

1. I was over at a friends house a few days ago and his son(17 years old) was asking me questions about my CCW. I took the time to answer his questions but I could tell he didn't really understand why I carry a pistol. To hear him talk my pistol was this super weapon that would stop any conflict as soon as I touched it. So I tried to explain that my pistol is one of the tools I carry with me and it isn't my first choice when I get that "something isn't right" feeling.

So this got me thinking am I alone in this mind set or do others see it the same way? I bet I'm not alone. I know most of this isn't anything new but maybe it will help someone, so going to share with you gals/guys.

My EDC tool kit
    Head
    Flash light
    Knife
    Pistol
    Car Keys
    Cell Phone
    Wallet

Head
    If I use my head to keep aware of what is going on I should see most potential trouble spots before I get there. I'm talking about things like when walking down the street and you see a group of people heading my way you can cross the street, enter a store or turn down a side road. There are times when stuff will slip past but most can be seen early. Stay alert to dangers so you don't get surprised.

Flash Light
    Mine is a small LED 600 lumen light. It is small enough I don't notice the size or weight and it is always clipped to my left front pocket. Its just right to fit in my hand to use as a small weapon to increase the pressure points and will light up a area to make sure nothing is lurking in the dark.

Knife
    This is always clipped in my right front packet mostly a tool, I use it 3-4 times a day so it is a must have. Now yes it could be used in defense but honestly if I feel I need to pull it to defend myself I might just use the pistol. I see the knife used to cut a seat belt free or something like that more than for defense

Pistol
    I carry what I train with and I trust. Not getting into details on what is best because that isn't the point here. Just make sure you can operate it under-stress and hit your targets.

Car Keys
    Simple thing is drive away but that isn't my point here. I carry my keys in my hand, if some gets close to me they can be used to jab them face or throat. Yes they won't do much damage but every little bit can help and if you get jabbed in the face your focus will change fast from hurting me to holding your face.

Cell Phone
    My job isn't to rescue people other than my wife and kids. My cell phone is there in case I see someone in trouble so I can call the cops they can work out who is the good guys. Or if I do get into a encounter to call 911 myself as soon as I can.

Wallet
    There is nothing in that worth my life or any others life. I will hand it over with out worry. Now if the bad guy wants it he will be focusing on it and if I drop it while handing it to him it could buy me a few secs, but that will depend on the encounter and how I feel it is going to turn out.

Training
    If you are thinking about carrying a pistol please get some hands on training. A good instructor will be able to show you a lot of things and how to stay safe when you do it. You can learn a lot from watching videos and books but hands on a instructor can show you much, much more.

I would also encourage people to look into self defense classes. If you ever do get into a encounter you might not have time to draw any weapons and you will have to defend yourself with your hands. If you have a basic set of self defense skills they will be invaluable when the time comes you need to use them. I started Tae Kwon Do with my youngest son and while not my first choice of martial arts we have learned some great skills. We where lucky to find a school that teaches self defense focus and not the going to tournaments and learning to score points focus. Again videos and books are nice but hands on is best.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep, agree with 90% of that.

I don't carry my keys in my hand unless I am heading toward the car, or leaving it to go in somewhere, as I'm usually doing stuff with my hands; but my key ring is a ball bearing in a monkey fist on a loop that slides from 4 to 8 inches long, a "slungshot" as Kirk pointed out a while ago.

My flashlight is on my key ring too.

And I really agree with NOT keeping everything in your wallet. I tend to load my wallet based on where I am going, and what I will need, so I'm not carrying all my cards, info, etc. all the time.

Also, if I carry a larger sum of money, like going to buy a gun or car, that money isn't in the wallet, it's somewhere else in another wallet or pocket. Many of my jackets have sleeve pockets or a hidden chest pocket, I tend to use them.

3. I understand the key thing, I was thinking when going to or from the car but now that I reread it I should have been more clear.

I have looked at the monkey balls but I'm not sold on those. I would like to find one of those hard plastic or metal rods about 8" long with a point on one end kinda like a mini baton. Not sure what they are called but not found one local.

I agree with the money if I have 20 bucks it will go to the wallet but larger amounts go to the inside jacket pocket or front pants pocket in the summer.

Like i said I think most of this is common sense stuff we all do with out thinking.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That 8" rod is not going to work in my pants pockets.

:eek:

Well...ummm...darn it, you know what I meant.

5. TopGas

TopGas Member

Excellent way to conceptualize the EDC mentality! Bravo. I'm guessing that there are those that EDC with more items as well as those that EDC with less. I have to admit that while I'd like to think that I'm prepared for "eventualities" when I'm out and about as well as in or around my home, I don't have a routine EDC line up that is with me at all times. It's not always possible (or even necessary) to gear up with "full battle rattle" but having a list helps with tailoring your daily carry for particular situations.

Warhawk77 does a fine job of describing each of his bullet points to emphasize the importance of each. I plan on doing a "cut & paste" of the list so that I can print it out for easy future reference.
    Bottom line, great review for everyone!

I had a couple of thoughts that others might wish to consider RE: some of the individual points.
    1) Flashlight- While I don't always have a flashlight on my person, there is usually one close by. I've yet to find the "perfect" flashlight but I've been on a quest for a reasonably priced one that has a strobe function. Not sure about the universal legality of them since they can be considered an "incapacitating" device.

2) Knife- As Leroy Jethro Gibbs of NCIS fame has said on many occasions, "never not have a knife". I believe that it should be a "folder" that is easy to open with one hand and have a very secure lock open function.

3) Car Keys- I try to keep as few keys on my keyring as possible. Less bulk, less weight and less fumbling around when you need to be in your vehicle NOW! I also do not keep a house key on the car keyring nor is there any identifying info i.e. mini-license plate number, dog tag etc on that ring.

4) Cell Phone- I keep a charger in the car as well as in the house AND keep the phone charged. Sounds pretty basic but my wife and daughters have their phones go dead on a regular basis.

5) Wallet- I keep as little in my wallet as possible. DL, CCL, Mil ID, 2 credit cards and a debit card. I rarely have more than $25-$30 cash on my person. Total wallet thickness is ~3/8ths "! No pictures, no business cards, no scraps of paper with PINs or PWs. If lost or stolen, all easily replaceable and/or easily cancelled.

Points left out: Head, Firearm & Training aren't unimportant, just didn't have additional comments;).
    TG

6. shadow460

shadow460 Member

I like the idea of putting larger sums of money outside the wallet. I don't like carrying more than about $100.
    Most of my money is on plastic anyway, but given the fact NO ONE checks ID like they're supposed to, the security just isn't there. I did keep an old credit card and I've been debating how I can work that into my carry routine so that if I get mugged, the real one won't be stolen. It does, however, need to be readily accessible.
    I have the numbers to my ID, driver's license, and handgun license memorized. I typically show state ID when ID is needed--it's nobody's business that I'm allowed to drive any more than it's their business that I'm allowed to carry a gun.
    If I could find a way to keep my state ID and real credit card safe from physical damage outside my wallet, I'd be all over that.
    As for other EDC, it includes a good knife, an ink pen, spare car keys, phone, sometimes a computer or portable game system (that's one of my other hobbies), and several cool surprises for the average mugger. :)

7. TopGas

TopGas Member

I keep "larger" sums of money i.e. >$30 outside of my wallet too! (Usually in my wife's purse:eek:!)

I've added "please request ID" to the signature line on the back of my credit cards and I'm still infrequently asked to show ID! Kinda disturbing.

I'm pretty good with numbers BUT I haven't taken the time or effort to memorize any numbers that aren't frequently needed. My ATM PIN, phone unlock code, wife's cell # are the ones committed to memory.

I may start using my Federal ID instead of my DL when ID is requested. You make a good point. In Wisconsin you can have either a State DL OR a State ID card NOT both.

I too, usually carry a spare car key. The fob is actually part of the key and gets "hinky" now and then so to prevent a major inconvenience and perhaps expense, I just always have both keys with me. Having the spare in the case of loss or theft is a bonus;).

TG

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

1. Here ya go! (I've done this for YEARS)
    I use a big, relatively thick Money Clip and put "loyalty cards" (like speedway gas or CVS, Kroger cards) on the top and bottom of the stack. The debit is right under the CVS, (debit is 2nd, easy access) and the D.L. is right under that. Keep the cards all even, in one 5/16" thick block, and none of the ends get damaged! They stay CLEAN, also! The loyalty cards are usually just a bit more flexible than the debit cards, and hold up well as book-ends. I've never had a problem with this arrangement, and I also use one of those big spring loaded paperclip thingies with "wings" for cash and papers. The wallet, when carried, is a dummy. Only includes the easy-to-replace stuff!

Oh, these come up as "binder clips" on g00gley-Search :D

Attached Files:

9. shadow460

shadow460 Member

I update my EDC a little since my last post with a dedicated flashlight and a second knife. The light is a Mini Mag AA and the second knife is a SOG key knife. It passed a kitchen test a few minutes ago when I used it to cut up something for lunch.
    I also added a couple more key tools and a bandanna. The tools are the QuicKey and DoohicKey from Nite Ize. I'm kinda sick of running up to check out a repair only to realize if I had a small screwdriver and a 5/16' wrench I'd be able to fix it then and there. By moving a couple of special keys that I only use on the job to my truck, I freed up room on the ring for the tools.
    To make room for the bandanna, I purchased a slightly larger pack for my cell phone. The pack is about the size of a deck of cards and holds a Galaxy S, one set of spare keys, and a bandanna. I'm thinking my first use of the bandanna will be this week when the weather gets bad--it'll add another layer of insulation to my head. I have a bunch of them in the truck, so they may also get used for cleaning up small messes that are inevitable when I'm fixing stuff.

10. Branth

Branth Member

Good thinking. I have a flashlight, knife, wallet, and cell on my all the time. I don't plan on using my car keys as a weapon, and when I'm carrying I make sure to hold them in my left hand when walking to the car so my right hand is still free. I don't want to drop my car keys (and means of escape) if I need to go for my weapon.

11. shadow460

shadow460 Member

Ha! I just noticed Warhawk included his head in the list of EDC. :)

12. shubbell

shubbell Member

I like my Olight S10L baton for my EDC light. Slim Clip for cash, ID's, cards and card size tools, and a SnagMag when I am carrying an auto. Depending on the season and attire, 2 speed loaders or 2 quick strips for the revolver. And my watch with a Suunto clipper compass. Everything else has been addressed. Oh! A peanut lighter.....

Sent from my iPad using Hi-Point Forum

13. shadow460

shadow460 Member

Seconded for the lighter. The small (or maybe not so small) case I carry my phone in has enough room for a folded bandanna, a Zippo lighter, spare keys, and a Leatherman Squirt.
    lol, sometimes I'm actually jealous of people who do smoke, since they ALWAYS have a way to light something on fire. If I were a smoker, I'd have spent a LOT less time finding something to light the grill with! :D

14. My EDC list:

1. The proper mindset, which includes training, situational awareness, a desire to come home to my loved ones at the end of the day, and the strong desire to not have to use my knife or firearm on another person if at all possible.

2. Knife and multi-tool, usually a Leatherman Sidekick and a good, solid locking assist opening folder. From time to time, depending on the job of the day, a lightweight fixed blade with a 4 to 5 inch single edge blade.

3. My key rings held together by a caribiner with rings sepperating them into the groups by what they open. Truck keys all have their own rings, and the house keys are also on their own ring. On the house key ring is a SOG key knife. I only carry the keys I need with me, the others are kept in a coded key lock box at home.

4. EDC firearm(s), magazines, or speedloaders. Yes I carry a Main EDC and a BUG most of the time with at least 1 extra magazines for each or 2 speed loaders for a wheelgun.

5. Flashlight. Usually a multi-function Mini Mag light (100% light, 50% light, flasher, and S.O.S.) and extra batteries.

6. Dial wrist watch with a 550 cord band. Cordage and direction if you know how to use it right.

7 Wallet and money clip. I keep the ATM card, LTCF, med IDs, and DL with the cash in my front pocket with the money clip, and the bonus cards and general crap that is not needed as often in my wallet. Go ahead and take it. You'll feel like an idiot when you empty it out. :D

8. Cell phone. Keep it in my front pocket, locked key mode, and i don't carry a new model of phone. Makes it not worth the effort to steal it, as it is only worth about $5 as a trade in.

9. Zippo lighter, extra flint in my wallet, and a small flask of fluid on my key ring for emergency refills. I gave up smoking 10 years ago, but a Zippo makes a good hand warmer up here in the Northern states during the winter in addition to appealing to the inner Pyromaniac in me. Add in a Hi Pointesq warranty, and it is worth buying that on lighter, and keeping it on you.

10. things I keep in each truck. First aid kit with everything from band aids to sutures, MREs, bottled water, mess kit, tools, extra clothes including 2 pairs of socks and a set of boots, Coveralls warm or cold weather depending on the season, ponchos, matches, tinder, a basic cleaning kit, rags, automotive fluids, and CLP.

One thing to keep in mind is this. You can prep and plan for everything that can ever cross oyur mind, your spouse's, or the guy in the tin foil hat down the street. All that planning will go out the window as soon as the first punch is thrown your way. hence the need for proper training and practicing what you have learned. muscle memory is a perishable skill when you fail to use it.