Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went into a hole in the wall gun and reloading supply shop and asked for some powder that is good for .45 ACP
I came home with a pound of Universal Clays for $16.25
How did I do?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not a bad price, but probably not the best powder for a 45. id have sent you home with unique or Win 231.

SW
They actually mentioned both of those, but didn't have any.

I went to the Hogdon website to look up load data and now I am a bit confused!
The guy at the store called it "Universal Clays" The choices on the web site are "Hodgdon Universal"
and "Clays Hodgon"

Here is what the lable says

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
not a bad price, but probably not the best powder for a 45. id have sent you home with unique or Win 231.

SW
For the .45acp I'd have sent you home with Bullseye.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

SW
For the .45acp I'd have sent you home with Bullseye.
Right, the guy who sold it to me said it wasn't his first choice either but

Since there is load data for the particular bullets I want to load, on the manufacturers web site for both "Hodgdon Universal" and "Clays Hodgon" I should be good to go, as soon as I am 100% sure which powder I have. Is that correct?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Delmar,

That is a pretty good price. Powder runs me about 20 to 22 bucks a pound. I'd prefer W231, HP-38, or Bullseye from my reading. I got HP-38 for my first try. From my reading Clays Universal will work just fine. There are many opinions about which powder is best, cleanest, hottest, fastest, etc. Your powder will work fine as long as you follow published load data.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Delmar,

That is a pretty good price. Powder runs me about 20 to 22 bucks a pound. I'd prefer W231, HP-38, or Bullseye from my reading. I got HP-38 for my first try. From my reading Clays Universal will work just fine. There are many opinions about which powder is best, cleanest, hottest, fastest, etc. Your powder will work fine as long as you follow published load data.
Does the (faster burning) powder that you use less of tend to be more expensive? Or does that not seem to figure into the equation?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I haven't found that burn speed affects powder price here. Most sells for 19.99 to 21.99 pound. Seems to be based more on manufacturer than anything.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Powder is one of those things that only you can decide which is best for every weapon and then if you change springs seating depth, bullet weight,,on,and on and on, you will find that the only way to choose the best powder is to try diffrent ones. I for example love univ, clays, in my xd tactical 45 but my 1911,s dont like it as much they prefer red dot for the 200 grain semi wad cutters, I guess what i am trying to say is that yes universal clays is decent powder just experamint around and see what you like with what bullets best way is to keep a reloading diary including bullet weight, powder count, seating depth, volocity, etc ............Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
For 45acp, its Win231 or nothing for me.

Well that or Unique in a pinch.

Or even Red Dot but that was all I had way back when I first started loading.

I strongly prefer Win231 over all other standard powders for pistol rounds due to how nicel it meters compared to the big flake powders like Red Dot or Unique.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For 45acp, its Win231 or nothing for me.

Well that or Unique in a pinch.

Or even Red Dot but that was all I had way back when I first started loading.

I strongly prefer Win231 over all other standard powders for pistol rounds due to how nicel it meters compared to the big flake powders like Red Dot or Unique.
If I'm doing the math right, I'm going to get more than 1000 rounds out of this jar of Universal, so if it works OK I won't be trying anything else for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.