My first reloads!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Death Penalty, Feb 29, 2008.

1. I just did up my first homebrews. They're ?? grains of IMR 4198 pushing a 52gr Hornady Match BTHP, CCI small rifle primer, Remington brass. I'll try em out tomorrow and see how they shoot. I'm SO stoked!!

[​IMG]

2. Nice blue teddy bear! Do you sleep with that at night to keep the boogie man away? :lol:

Sorry dude, couldn't resist.

You're gonna love the feeling when you pull the trigger on your first loaded round and that thing goes bang. It's a great feeling.

3. Primal... that IS the boogie man!!!

4. I'll never forget the feeling when i fired my first round and the 2nd chambered perfectly and then the 28 others i had in my browning hi power. Its like watching a child take its first step. TEAR

5. They look great man!!! Way to go.

6. I take it those are .223 rounds?

Let us know how the 4198 powder does for you. Some people like it, some people don't. I'm a big fan of RL15 myself, but that's because my rifle's too finicky. That's one barrel I wouldn't mind turning into a tomato stake.

I was thinking the teddy bear will be the first to receive your reloads. lol

Congrats on your first loads.

wizard93

7. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Looks good! Now that the bug has bit ya, you're not going to want to pay factory prices ever again!

8. I tested out IMR 4198 and some downloads with Blue Dot. The Blue dot ripped ragged holes, the 4198 looked like #4 buck patterns. I've done a Blue Dot workup, haven't had a chance to test em out though. It's really nice powder to work with. It meters nicely, it uses less than half what 4198 uses, it's quiet, and you can see impact through the scope. Here are a couple pics of my reloading bench tucked away in my cold, peaceful basement. Oh, and Wizard they are .223. It's the cheapest centerfire to reload for from what I can tell, and it's pretty versatile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Notice the cordless drill. It's a LOT nicer for reaming primer pockets than using the chamfer tool. It also makes case trimming pretty snappy with Lee's trimmer.

And $66 for 1000 Lake City once-fired brass. More brass than I'll probably use up in a lifetime of blasting coyotes and woodchucks.

[​IMG]

Urajiit, I didn't want to pay factory prices when I was paying factory prices.

9. Ari

Ari Guest

That looks like a great place to reload. Very peaceful and nice and cool!
    [​IMG]

10. I wish I had that much room to spread my reloading stuff out. I have an 8x12 foot room to put ALL of my reloading stuff, my hunting gear and my guitars/amps... Nice looking set up man.

11. I have to clean out the basement before I can get my stuff and get setup.I've got about 300# of lead,to start with.

12. I do more shooting to kill than just shooting to play, so cast bullets aren't for me. I picked up a box of 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tips to load up as well. I'll see how they shoot along with the 52gr Hornady Match HPs. The BTHPs will be my coyote bullet, the ballistics will be a more explosive woodchuck bullet theoretically. I've heard ballistics make REALLY ugly wounds when they hit bone, so they won't be very pelt friendly if/when I find a coyote I really want to pelt out. However for PD ammo in an AR by the bed I don't think you can beat ballistic tips for zombie control, and they tend not to penetrate walls very much either.

13. If you're going to start melting down lead in a workshop in the basement, make SURE there's a window to open up, with a fan blowing to the outside. Lead vapors are HIGHLY toxic and you damn sure don't want to breath that stuff. Just an FYI, I would hate for you to get lead poisoning, that stuff will kill ya.

14. Yea. The bullet casting will be done in another area.We use to cast fishing sinkers for a sporting goods store.Those fumes will give you one H of a headache when your fluxing the lead.Not to mention the lead exposure.
    I use a plumbers furnace,so there are fumes from the gas as well.

15. Actually, once you have the brass, I find that the 22 Hornet is one of the cheapest centerfire rifle cartridges to reload for. The Hornet can push a 40 grain V-Max bullet at 2800 fps using less than half the powder of the 223 Remington. My father has a pre-64 Win 70 22 Hornet which will punch sub-MOA groups using the 40-grain V-Max bullet.

One day we were pushing the 35 grain V-Max bullet at 3400 fps out of the Hornet just for fun.

However, the 223 is much cheaper to load for than the 30-06.

wizard93

16. The hornet can't deliver a 40-55 grain projectile past 200 yards very effectively though. Also, this gun was a butt load cheaper than picking up a hornet, and a bit more versatile for woodchucks, coyote, and the occasional bobcat. I've also read 223 has been effectively used on wild hogs, so mine is probably going to cross-dress into piggies, too.