Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discussion about the 22 TCM made me think about my first varmint cartridge and rifle. The rifle was the H&R model 158. The cartridge was the 22 Jet. My varmint hunting in the day revolved around crows. I got a nickel for each crow I turned in to the local farmers, plus I was allowed on to almost any property. I was, after all, protecting the farmers crops.

The rifle was not much different from the last H&R rifles made before the company ceased manufacturing. It was simply an iron sighted, break action, single shot. I am sure I would have appreciated a scope, but I was young and had good eyes back then. It was nothing to take a crow at a football field length. Honestly, I can not even remember if the rifle was drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

H&R Topper Model 158.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

The cartridge was the 22 Remington Jet, which I just called the 22 Jet. I liked the cartridge just because of the name. Jet implied fast, so the bullet would get there fast and in my young mind I thought just take a fine bead and squeeze the trigger. The Buck Rodgers bullet would do the rest. In reality, it was an excellent varmint cartridge for me. Many a crow met its demise because of that cartridge. Today I would call it a 150-175 yard cartridge.

The Cartridge was simply the 357 magnum necked down with a long slow taper to 22 caliber. I did not reload at the time and the 22 Jet was not always the easiest cartridge to find. I traded the rifle for another H&R Model 158. This one chambered for the more popular 22 Hornet. The 22 Hornet is my favorite cartridge to this day.

22 Hornet on the left, 22 Jet on the right.
Ammunition Cone Bullet Gun accessory Metal

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
The 22TCM is a necked down .223 cartridge. Great round for small game, although I don’t hunt. What I do know is it’s a flamethrower and out of a 16” barrel you can take full advantage of its 2200+ fps velocity.
I’ve been trying to track down one of the rifles for awhile. RIA/Armscor is the only mfg,and not every one Carrys them

·
Super Moderator
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 22TCM is a necked down .223 cartridge. Great round for small game, although I don’t hunt. What I do know is it’s a flamethrower and out of a 16” barrel you can take full advantage of its 2200+ fps velocity.
I’ve been trying to track down one of the rifles for awhile. RIA/Armscor is the only mfg,and not every one Carrys them
It took me almost a year to get my 22 TCM bolt rifle. Technically, the parent case of the cartridge is the triple deuce, but same / same. There is no "published" load data for the 22 TCM, but case capacity is virtually equal to the 22 Hornet and Hornet data is typically used as a starting point. In my experience, the 22 Hornet is the faster cartridge, but cases do not last as long. The 22 TCM has better case life, but cases start sticking before reaching maximum velocities that can be achieved with the same bullet and powder in the 22 Hornet.

A bit of trivia. Armscor did not come up with the idea for the cartridge. Craig Whateverhislast name is came up with the idea and called it the 22 Micromag. Armscor just gave it a home and changed the name.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have one that I have never shot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts