Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 10+plus year time away from fire-arms, I'm back. This is what I've managed to collect in the year or so I've been back shooting on my meager budget. It's not much, but it's a start.

Top to bottom,
Romanian Ak in 5.45x39, maverick 88 20ga. and the c-9 of course.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Cool! You have the bases covered-- now just get more!

8*)

Nah, really though, you got a great pistol-- common ammo, great shotgun-- slugs, buck, and birds..., and an evil rifle--

If you stopped there, you would be ok-- just stock up on ammo, and you are set..

The only thing I can see you almost needing would be a .22 rifle for the small critters and plinking...

Good job!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
nice collection. i have the maverick 88 in 12 gauge. i would suggest adding ammo and skip the .22lr. birdshell in your 20 gauge can handle some of the chores of a .22lr.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More ammo is a must, you can never have enough. A .22 is on the list, I miss plinking with them, plus it would help me get my targeting skills back where they were. At the moment I seem to have a hard time hitting the broadside of a barn except with the shotgun. As for the rifle it was a gift. I've shot a few rds through it, and personally I think I would be happier with a 995. Easier to get ammo for, right now only one store in my area carries the rifle ammo.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Get a 22LR so it doesn't put you in the poor house just to practice. Works well on small varmints up to 100 yards also. Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 are great. More after market pretties for the Ruger but hey who wants to spend $500 in accessories on a .22? Either are fine rifles and plenty of ammo for them out there just dont waste time at Walmart. Be sure to get extra Mags for all your rifles and stay far away from ProMag. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,338 Posts
LOVE that AK. One of the nicer ones i've seen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know it's just inn my head, but it does seem to make them easier to handle. It's only had 30rds thru it due to a lack of ammo and a an owner who can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn. Ten years ago I could drive nails with a 22. I've been without a gun waaaay to long.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
aww, they look so cute together. :devilsidesmile:

i've heard of the Romanian, didn't know they had a diff. caliber. Is it hard to find ammo.

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
I think im in love with the AKs with the thumb hole stocks.
I have to totally agree with that sentiment godlessdustin, I think you summed it up quite nicely. That AK is GORGEOUS! Makes me want to find a replacement stock for my Romy.

Oh and dude, get a .22LR. If you could drive nails with one 10 years ago, I am sure with just a few boxes of rounds you'd be back on par. All you gotta do is get back in the saddle and knock the rust off your skills. They'll come back pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I know it's just inn my head, but it does seem to make them easier to handle. It's only had 30rds thru it due to a lack of ammo and a an owner who can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn. Ten years ago I could drive nails with a 22. I've been without a gun waaaay to long.
If at all possible get to an Appleseed event. Just goggle Appleseed Project and start from there. They have a concept called the Light Training Rifle inherited from the military. What people do is get a Marlin or Ruger 22LR, add a good sight like this http://www.tech-sights.com/ and then get to an event. Its tied to the Civilian Marksmanship Program where you can pick up one M1 Garand a year and have access to a lot of surplus ammo all at greatly reduced prices.

The Ak was never designed to be a tack driver but its more accurate than its given credit. Ammo for that rifle is tougher to find than the 7.62x39 which Im seeing everywhere lately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.