Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind about the .410 caliber is that the shot isn't going to disperse very far as it's a small bore scattergun. That can be a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.

Good thing.

If your enemy, "intruder" or unwelcome guest is stationary in the doorway, hallway etc, you are most likely to impact point of aim with all your shot from the round. That's a good thing as it's chances of over penetrating isn't that great. Bird shot would NOT be a good choice here, as it lacks the velocity to penetrate deep enough and reach the vital areas. I would recommend buck shot for a home defense round. You are going to experience greater recoil because of that, and also may have over penetration issues through walls/doors, so choose your HD/SD rounds carefully. I believe someone stated their recommendations for buckshot use as a HD round. I forget the number but I think it was #1 or #2. *Anyone feel free to correct me on this.*

Bad Thing.

If you're trying to hit a moving target, someone running from left to right or any other direction where you would have to swing the barrel of the shotty, you have less of a chance of hitting your intended target as the shot pattern is so small. Now, you would have less of a chance hitting a moving target with a slug or a bullet from a rifle or pistol, so your chances ARE better with a shotgun, but I wouldn't recommend a .410. The smallest guage of scattergun I would use as a HD/SD weapon would be a 20 guage, just for shot patterns.

The key here is training with your HD weapon. If you choose the .410, that's great, just make sure that you KNOW YOUR WEAPON!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough. Only you can choose what you are going to trust your life with. As such, you are the one responsible for ensuring that you have the training that you need to accomplish your goal should a situation like this arise. Also, make sure that your spouse knows the actions that you are going to take in this type of situation so she knows how to react accordingly. The last thing you want to have happen is to accidently shoot a member of your own family. Do dry runs *WITHOUT THE WEAPON OR AT LEAST WITHOUT AMMO!!!!!!* practicing movements, communications and/or hand signals. The last thing you want to do is alert an intruder to your location, you need the element of suprise. If they come looking for you, then that's a whole other story. I am not saying that you should let the person have full reign in your house, but don't go looking for a fight, you don't know what tactics they are using against you. If they don't know where you are, you have the element of suprise and the upper hand as you know your house layout and are familiar with it. Most of all, be quiet and plan evacuation routes out of your home for yourself, spouse and children if you have them. At that point you can alert authorities to the situation without unnecessary bloodshed, yours or theirs.

Also, think about getting a ferocious dog... They usually intimidate and deter most intruders fairly well.

Anyone feel free to critique my comments or add anything that you feel I've left out as this is just my $0.02....

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Excellent layout Chuck, just like Ari said. I do like that bottle neck in your bathroom. At that point the only thing I would be worried about is having to clear the house for additional bad guys and then going down into the basement. Hell, that's what the cops are for right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.