Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i posted this on the old board, but i'm still toying around with the idea of a .410 for home defense. right now the only thing i own is a .22 rifle. my parents are prob. getting me a c9 for christmas, and i plan on getting a shotgun in the near future, so this is all just ideas on what i should buy.

some members were talking about how good the saiga's are, well i got into looking a little and they make a semi-auto .410. in my thinking this would be a good home defense choice for me. i would use the c9 to check things out if i were to go mobile, but if i definitely heard someone smash in, i was thinking it would be nice to use the bed as a rest and prop the .410 at the bedroom door. the ballistics i've seen show at close range (up to about 50 yards) the .410 more kinetic energy than a .357, .380, and .38 special. i also like the semi-auto part of it and the option to have extra mags. i was thinking about loading it with slugs and the site i was looking at, the guy was getting between 2in and 4.5 in groups at 50 yards. i know the shorter saiga barrel won't get that, but i'm also only talking about between 10 to 20 feet.

also with the .410 i was thinking it would be quieter so i wouldn't temp deafen myself or my wife and with less recoil i could get off a second shot faster and more accurately. it also has a threaded barrel, so if i could find a flash suppressor i'd use that as well, again for a faster follow up shot so i don't temp blind myself.

any and all comments are welcome, i'm a newbie and need your imput =] oh and one of the sites i was looking at ballistics at was http://mcb-homis.com/slug_410/index.htm also it's just my wife and i so over penetration isn't that big of a deal as long as it doesn't enter a neighbor's house.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also i forgot to mention, the top of my bed is about 2'6" high, so if i were kneeling (well not exactly kneeling, but where you're close to sitting on your heels [well as close as a fat guy gets to sittiing on my heels]) granted i'm only 5'11", so it's at a pretty good height to use as a gun rest.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have 2 dogs, a large dog and a medium sized dog. the smaller dog loves to bark, the large dog has a scary bark and only barks if there's something to bark at (when he barks i go look). the reason i was looking at the .410 for a defensive position is because the way my house is set up. actually i'll just make a diagram in paint. also both of our cell phones are in our bedroom at night, so my wife will def. be calling 911, and i thought about the bed as a rest more for a steady line of site, not really cover.

to rimfirehunter - i was also thinking about the .410 buckshot, i might look into a 20 ga. like i said this is just in the idea phase. i was originally thinking of .410 slugs since over penetration isn't that big of a deal right now (well, not with the .410) i do like the 995, again i'm not set in stone on anything yet.

here's a basic layout of the house:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i didn't think about the price of the .410 slugs, that does factor in, maybe i will consider a 995 or 4095...this is why i love this forum, so my different opinions to think about. oh and also the basement is a walk-out basement, but like you said, i'll leave that to the cops unless i absolutely have to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.