My JCP40

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by pjm204, Apr 9, 2008.

1. pjm204

pjm204 Member

Well, over a month ago I decided I wanted a Hi-Point, and already knew that I wanted it in .40s&w. My dealer doesn't stock HP's but gladly ordered me one. Last week I went and picked it up after "patiently" waiting for it. I bought a couple boxes of Independent .40 ammo as I do not have dies to reload it yet, though I do have a ton of brass. I headed straight to the range. I loaded 5 rounds into the mag after switching to the ghost-ring sights. I aimed at the 8x11" "target" 15 yards ahead of me and fired my first round, taking note of where it hit, my next four rounds ended up surrounding the prior shot in a nice 2-3" grouping. I immediately took to the 4" steel plates at 25 yards, shot.....dink, shot.....dink. I was actually laughing which may have been a little odd since I was the only person there. The recoil was almost nill, very pleasant for a .40, far less muzzle rise than other full size .40's I have fired in the past. I spent the trip switching between the other pistols I had brought, my newly ported KT P-11, and an MPA 930. The MPA was my most accurate pistol prior to the JCP40.

The results, 100 rounds fired down range with zero malfunctions and most likely 100 rounds on target. The pistol fits my hand well, places shot after shot where I want them, and didn't break the bank at 170 OTD. I will be shooting it more this weekend, hoping for the same results as this past trip.

One thing, I do wish it was possible to disassmble without tools, the one drawback I have found so far. Also, comparing my parts to the diagram, mine does not have a firing pin sleeve but rather has a second spring over the firing pin spring?

Anyway, clearly I am impressed with the gun, I might end up selling one of my higher dollar guns in order to finance the purchase of several Hi-Points.

[​IMG]

I am not a lefty, just trying to get a shot down the ghost ring sights, my finger is not on the trigger and the gun is unloaded.

[​IMG]

From left to right..Masterpiece Arms MPA930, Kel-Tec P-11, SCCY CPX-1, HP JCP40

[​IMG]

2. Nice pics, is that a Mac 10 or a ingram 11 or what? I like it whatever it is, lol.

3. Hi Point changed from the plastic sleeve over the single spring to a double spring setup a while back.

Congrats on your purchase!

4. pjm204

pjm204 Member

That is a Masterpiece Arms MPA930. It is significantly smaller than a Mac-11. It is even smaller than the .380acp M-12. It is a very accurate and fun pistol that I highly recommend.

5. base871

base871 Guest

nice! i just bought the 40 and put 150 rds through it with no problems! awsome gun for the price.

6. So you liked the JCP40?

I'm considering the purchase of one to replace my Rock River Arms 1911 as a carry piece. I really feel uncomfortable carrying a 2,300.00 piece not to mention the weight. I realize the JCP40 isn't light but it's not nearly as heavy as my 1911. I have several Ruger .22's that I'm currently using to qualify as a "Distinguished Expert" in the handgun dicipline. I realize that the JCP40 is by no means a match grade pistol but your 2 to 3 inch groups are impressive enough that I'm considering it for a defense weapon.

Anyone else have any input on this particular handgun?

7. pjm204

pjm204 Member

I also would not feel comfortable carrying a high dollar firearm. I currently carry a Kel-Tec P-11, weather and attire don't really allow me to carry a gun the size of a 1911. Anyway, the JCP40 is inherently accurate due to the fixed barrel, something that very few handguns take advantage of. I'd say it is worth the $170 risk to try one out, and even if you don't like it as a carry piece, it will undoubtably make a great plinker.

8. I carry the 1911 in a shoulder rig, I've also carried my Super Blackhawk in a shoulder rig as well. I'm a big fan of the shoulder rigs. I can't shoot one of the compact and sub compacts, I have such big hands I have more hand than weapon. About the smallest piece I could comfortably use is the size of a Glock 23. I'm not really a Glock fan, I've never shot one before but around my area the Glocks are the preferred carry piece of all the drug dealers. I guess maybe it's the negative stigmatism associated with the drug dealers and Glock that puts me off. Sig Sauer has a few that I'd be interested in as carry pieces but won't pay the new price for one, I'd have to come across a good deal on a used one and saw a used Para Ordinance the other day but it was still over a grand. Before I spent that kind of money I think I'd rather risk the $170.00 and spend the big money on another accurized 1911. In my line of work whatever I carry will get it's share of scratches and nicks and spark burns. The owner of the shop where I work is in favor of me carrying on the job in the shop. He feels safer knowing there's a weapon on premises and in the hands of someone who knows how to use it properly and has awards in shooting matches to be the defender of the shop.

I'm glad I found this forum. The only input I've had concerning Hi-Point has been from the gun-snobs who've never shot one before. A few will say the carbines are a good value but the handguns are junk. But I guess you can not accurately report on something you've never experienced, which is why I'm here now. There's a gun show next weekend and I intend on going on Sunday and unless I see a used piece at a good price I have every intention of purchasing a JCP40 and I will pass a range on my way home where I have a release form on file and have no doubt I'll be stopping by to try it out.

Thanks all of you on this forum for making it a pleasurable place to visit and become better informed!!!

9. pjm204

pjm204 Member

Well, the girlfriend and I went shooting yesterday and put another 75 rounds through the JCP40. As expected, it performed flawlessly. My gf who does not normally like shooting pistols due to the recoil, thought the .40 was great. Both of us were shooting great at 15 yards. I put on the three dot sights and didn't sight them in so 25 yards was a little difficult. All in all, no jams, very accurate, and my gf can shoot it. The gun is a winner in my book. I will be getting another HP in the near future, either a C9 or a carbine.

Will the JHP45 slide and barrel fit the JCP40 frame?

10. pjm204

pjm204 Member

Went to the range today and fired another 75 rounds out of the JCP40 today, total round count is right around 225. I had my first jams today. I was using WWB flat nose, round got hung up in the mag two times. I do not attribute the jam to the gun at all though. Aside from that it shot awesome as usual.

11. pjm,

Congrats on the JCP40, glad you like it! As for the WWB flat nose ammo, this is the 180gr FMJ right? I never had much luck with that particular load in the two .40's I owned in the past, one was a KelTec P40 and the second was an F series S&W Sigma. Both guns had jammin issues with that load, in the Sigma it would get hung in the mag during feeding and in the KT it jammed every way possible.

12. I have the JCP40 and JHP45 and I honestly think I shoot better with the JCP40

The .45acp fans will want my head in a platter, but that is my opinion ;)

13. Naw, it's ok to shoot your HP40 better than the HP45; if you EVER hint you may think there is a pistol superior to a 1911 government model in .45ACP---that's when Salome dances! :shock:

14. You know whats sad? My favorite pistol I own is my 1942 P08 Luger in 9mm, but I dont shoot it enough to be good with it.

The 1911 is like the M16 to me, good weapons but I got to shoot them plenty on uncle sams coin and I want something different of my own. ;)

15. pjm204

pjm204 Member

Well I hit the 250 round mark last night, not bad for three weeks. I took it down and cleaned it really well, the slide is like butter now, it was getting pretty gritty. 250 rounds and one jam caused by a flat point round getting hung up....not bad at all.

A guy at my range saw it and loved it, he had a 995 with a bushman trigger and charging handle.